GT: White Sox @ Indians, 4/18, 12:05, CSN

justBLAZE

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
This is when real teams fire their manager. When does the championship exemption run out? When Jerry dies?

lol

I can't wait til we play Minny for our annual beatdown...we won't have the Metrodome to blame this time around.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
This is when real teams fire their manager. When does the championship exemption run out? When Jerry dies?

Real teams fire their manager in April?

Are you actually reading your words?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Because of us, yeah.

Chris Perez has all four season saves against the Sox this year.

Ex-Sox Rupe strikes out Jim Thome with the bases loaded to keep the Twins 2 runs down going into the 8th. Temporarily 5 1/2 GB.

FUN FACT: We still haven't won a game on a Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday yet this season.

OTOH, we're an amazing 4-2 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
first time where we have scored 4 runs and

not won, gavin sucks at the start of the year .....yuck

This is the second year in a row he has come to spring training in mid season form and been knocked around when the games counted. He's going to need to alter his off season plan.

I'm afraid this team is showing its real self right now. I was optimistic early on that things would turn around, but I'm more than concerned now. This lineup that Ozzie wanted and KW gave him is lifeless. I'm going to still cling to some hope for a bit, but if I see Kotsay in the lineup again (especially in the 3 hole!) I'm going to vomit.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm afraid this team is showing its real self right now. I was optimistic early on that things would turn around, but I'm more than concerned now. This lineup that Ozzie wanted and KW gave him is lifeless. I'm going to still cling to some hope for a bit, but if I see Kotsay in the lineup again (especially in the 3 hole!) I'm going to vomit.

He will definitely be in this lineup again. Probably closer to 100 more times too. Get used to it. Our lineup is stacked with s***ty players who are going to play this year, and next year, whether we as fans like it or not. Only way things might change is if we stop going to games and Kenny has to make some moves to save money.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
He will definitely be in this lineup again. Probably closer to 100 more times too. Get used to it. Our lineup is stacked with s***ty players who are going to play this year, and next year, whether we as fans like it or not. Only way things might change is if we stop going to games and Kenny has to make some moves to save money.

If? That's a given already. Attendance will be down big time unless we go on a tear.

White Sox DHs are hitting below .200 with 2 hr and 9 rbi. The rbi total is high because Quentin got 6 in a game as the DH. The White Sox DH has driven in a run in 3 of the 13 games.

There were two parts to the DH by committee they were preaching that had to be of a concern. One was Kotsay and Jones being in the line up daily. Kotsay has shown he should be a guy that gets about 150 AB throught the course of a season. Jones has been pretty solid. The other part of the DH committee is guys will be DHing that haven't done it before and aren't used to it. For many players being a DH isn't easy, and apparently the rotation the White Sox have been using is struggling mightily with it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)

Who could we actually trade to save money and get something in return? Thornton?

Look at all the contracts right now we couldn't give away (like Rios) without subsidizing with cash....

Rios

Jenks (50/50, maybe an NL team would take him for half a season and give us a B prospect)

Linebrink

Konerko

Kotsay

Vizquel

Castro

Peavy (depends on how we structured it)

Teahen

AJ

Pierre

Nix

Williams

Lucy

Garcia (neither category, but, right now, I'm thinking we wouldn't get anything offered in return)

So basically, we really would have to trade Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Putz, Santos, Pena, Andruw Jones, Ramirez, Beckham or Quentin to do anything but save just a little bit of money which may or may not be invested into the minor leagues/development instead of covering a financial spreadsheet loss.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
According to Twitter, Ozzie plans on enjoying his day off,

"I hope I can enjoy my off day in miami I need one"

Any chance a volcano can erupt in Florida making it impossible for Ozzie to fly back to Chicago?

I was hoping for a kidnapping...not that he's harmed, but returned safely after one week.

In that week, Cora looks so incompetent (think certain VP candidates) that it becomes obvious to everyone from JR on down that he should never be named manager of the Sox.

Former Sox like Ventura, McDowell and Fisk get back involved with the organization, seeing how bads thing have actually gotten.

I wouldn't mind Don Cooper, and he's enough of an outsider/independent guy that we'd get something totally different. Like when Larry Dierker went from the broadcast booth to managing Houston. Or Stone/Jackson/Farmer....just try something different and hope for the best (it's the same way I think of my University of Iowa BB program getting rid of Lickliter).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
Who could we actually trade to save money and get something in return? Thornton?

Look at all the contracts right now we couldn't give away (like Rios) without subsidizing with cash....

Rios

Jenks (50/50, maybe an NL team would take him for half a season and give us a B prospect)

Linebrink

Konerko

Kotsay

Vizquel

Castro

Peavy (depends on how we structured it)

Teahen

AJ

Pierre

Nix

Williams

Lucy

Garcia (neither category, but, right now, I'm thinking we wouldn't get anything offered in return)

So basically, we really would have to trade Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Putz, Santos, Pena, Andruw Jones, Ramirez, Beckham or Quentin to do anything but save just a little bit of money which may or may not be invested into the minor leagues/development instead of covering a financial spreadsheet loss.

The White Sox don't have to save money. They make plenty and have a top 5 AL payroll. As for the minor leagues, just throwing money at that isn't going to make it better. They have to select better. They gave Joe Borchard more money than anyone ever received at the time they signed him,and the guy had talent and a good attitude yet they couldn't develop him.

This team still has some talent. The bullpen looks good, the rotation should be decent althought there has to be concern about Garcia. Maybe see if Washburn, the poor man's Mark Buehrle would be interested in signing on. Floyd sucks early in the season again after coming to spring training and pitching like it was the beginning of June, so if we use last year as a measurement he should be OK eventually.

They still need offense. Pierre looks not as quick to me, but IIRC he is a very streaky guy. I don't think Beckham should be hitting 2nd. Teahen is a disaster with the glove. Ramirez just doesn't hit in April. Rios and Jones, a couple of guys just about everyone considered key to the offense have shown a lot of life.

If I were the GM, the guy I would seriously consider trading is Ramirez as soon as he starts to hit for a bit. I think he is what he is, can be spectacular at times but will eventually leave you wanting more, but with his favorable contract it may entice some GM to overpay in talent.

The Sox need proven hitters. Not reclimation projects, not guys with potential, but guys who get it done.

That $10 million to Viciedo looks more and more interesting in light of those numbers comparing the Twins' and White Sox signing bonus allocations. Curious, indeed. Perhaps they overreached with all the success they had with Ramirez when they should have been targeting Chapman instead.

If you subtracted Teahen, PK, Jenks, Konerko, Pierre and Linebrink (some combination thereof), you could easily afford Chapman. It's worth the risk for an electric arm like that in Cooper's hands.

A Ramirez deal makes the most sense if we want to get some actual talent back in return, because that contract status is going to be very very enticing to another organization...plus they'd (acquiring team) would control his rights for an additional 3 years, correct? (I think we both agree, but since we watch Ramirez or track him every day...you'd think the flaws in his game would be well-known, but a NL team might bite, definitely.)

But we're not close to having a SS ready to contribute...Escobar is 2-3 years away.

Might have to be a SS for SS type of deal...or targeting a player similar to Hardy/Renteria.

But I'd really take Uribe back, live with the offensive shortcomings, and try to fix the other problems that are easier to address like DH.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
That $10 million to Viciedo looks more and more interesting in light of those numbers comparing the Twins' and White Sox signing bonus allocations. Curious, indeed. Perhaps they overreached with all the success they had with Ramirez when they should have been targeting Chapman instead.

If you subtracted Teahen, PK, Jenks, Konerko, Pierre and Linebrink (some combination thereof), you could easily afford Chapman. It's worth the risk for an electric arm like that in Cooper's hands.

A Ramirez deal makes the most sense if we want to get some actual talent back in return, because that contract status is going to be very very enticing to another organization...plus they'd (acquiring team) would control his rights for an additional 3 years, correct? (I think we both agree, but since we watch Ramirez or track him every day...you'd think the flaws in his game would be well-known, but a NL team might bite, definitely.)

But we're not close to having a SS ready to contribute...Escobar is 2-3 years away.

Might have to be a SS for SS type of deal...or targeting a player similar to Hardy/Renteria.

But I'd really take Uribe back, live with the offensive shortcomings, and try to fix the other problems that are easier to address like DH.

I'd just put Beckham at SS.