How many times a season do you overreact?

shipps

I know every year I over react atleast 20 times with the Sox season as a whole. I get either so pissed off at a coach,player, or KW that is based completely on emotion and when I look back there was no reason for me to take it that far in my "baseball world". Sure it may be validated but it is just so many small moments,decisions,games or plays in a year that is long and has soooooo many of them in them that one of them is very minimal in the season as a whole. I

learned over the years to stop myself from doing this as much though because it basically can ruin the majority of the season for me.

I was much worse about overreacting to the Sox pre-2005. Luckily, I got to experience that magical year and my overreactions have lessened. Still, a good Sox team will make me generally more happy and a bad team generally more pissed, but overall, I am so much better than I was pre-2005. I wish I didn't care as much, but when you do care this much, the highs are that much better and that's what makes all the lows worth it.

2005 made me react less in all sports. Then I finally realized that I can't control anything that happens so I feel there's no point to get upset and throw things around like I used to, haha. Sure I'll get angry and dissapointed with this team like I am right now, but it does no good worrying about it, I just look forward to the next game and hope they can get a win.

I think it hit me when I was more excited to look up what Hudson, Danks, Flowers, Viciedo and Retherford were doing than our box score.

The funny thing is that I woke up in the middle of the morning here in China and didn't even realize we had blown the lead...so I was saved from being really really aggravated from having listened to the whole disaster, which was almost exactly like the Twins' game the previous Saturday but this one was even more frustrating.

I remember last year listening to many of the Barons games in the first half, until they broke that team into 1,000 pieces.

Heck, I'm even a bit excited for Cub Scout/Sin City villain lookalike Mr. Lillibridge.

this is an organization hell bent on getting a bargain: buying "use to be" players at low prices (vizquel, jones), injured players with potential at low prices (quentin), attitude players with talent at low prices (rios)......and yes, hope to catch lightening in a bottle

Peavy was the first prime of his career player we just laid out the cash for in as long as I can remember. So here we sit with a top 7 payroll team that can't buy a win, or runs to be specific.

the combined salaries of PK, Jenks, Putz, Pierre is 32M, just think what other teams could do with that money!! the fact that Pierre and Mauer make the same money and Konerko makes more than Morneau is downright comedy!!

Edited by stretchstretch

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
I know every year I over react atleast 20 times with the Sox season as a whole. I get either so pissed off at a coach,player, or KW that is based completely on emotion and when I look back there was no reason for me to take it that far in my "baseball world". Sure it may be validated but it is just so many small moments,decisions,games or plays in a year that is long and has soooooo many of them in them that one of them is very minimal in the season as a whole. I

learned over the years to stop myself from doing this as much though because it basically can ruin the majority of the season for me.

Only 20 ? Some people do that in one game thread. I love the Sox but whatever happens, happens . Right now they suck and I hope it improves but i try not to over react negatively because as we have all heard before, a hitter who bats .300 fails 7 out of 10 AB's. Successes I over react on like winning a WS or a game winning HR. Failures I just shrug off as best I can.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
this is an organization hell bent on getting a bargain: buying "use to be" players at low prices (vizquel, jones), injured players with potential at low prices (quentin), attitude players with talent at low prices (rios)......and yes, hope to catch lightening in a bottle

Peavy was the first prime of his career player we just laid out the cash for in as long as I can remember. So here we sit with a top 7 payroll team that can't buy a win, or runs to be specific.

the combined salaries of PK, Jenks, Putz, Pierre is 32M, just think what other teams could do with that money!! the fact that Pierre and Mauer make the same money and Konerko makes more than Morneau is downright comedy!!

Putz will be the best off-season move KW made.

If you want to complain about salaries, add Teahen and Linebrink to your list, not to mention Rios and Peavy. That's the heart of the problem. Even AJ is vastly overpaid for the kind of production he's delivering.

I think I've learned this from watching sports with my dad, I go in with low expectations, because if your team sucks, your not disappointed, and if they do good, your excited for them... whenever i stray away from this idea, I always end up disappointed

I'm so excited that baseball is back that I haven't been able to get too down about the slow start. Overall, I've become much more of a "baseball" fan the last few years. Up until that point it was all Sox all the time (and cheering anybody who played the Cubs). So I don't dwell on bad stretches or even bad seasons like I used to. After the game yesterday, I just turned right to the Giants/Dodgers (I've got the Extra Innings Package) so I could watch my favorite non-Sox pitcher, Clayton Kershaw. Made me kinda forget about the loss. Don't get me wrong now. I bleed White Sox. It just helps to watch other players and teams. For me, anyway.

I'm ready to overreact right now and say Ozzie needs to be fired. But, that's an overreaction. Damn, though am I pissed off about the lineups.

Maybe I should go back to being a Pirates fan. At least they are supposed to suck.

I don't think I'm very good at letting people know that most of my posts are filled with sarcasm. I don't really think that it's time to blow the thing up, but I am starting to get really really REALLY worried. It's amazing how your feelings about a team and the people who run it can change when they're losing - especially when the team has been hyped as being a possible contender. I'm starting to notice and (sadly) agree with a lot of derogatory things said about Ozzie Guillen.

Man I hope they turn this thing around. The season is so boring when they suck.

And that was coming off the incredible ending to the 1967 season...

This is the way of life for a Sox fan, haha.

1983 is followed by the huge disappointment of 1984, 93 is followed by the strike and loss of a possible pennant in 94, 2000 is followed by the David Wells/Frank Thomas fiasco, numerous injuries, Jose Canseco and struggling from a 14-29 start to get back to .500 at midseason (that's probably the best example of recent Sox teams that just sucked in the first six weeks and at least became competitive...but the Indians and Twins were way too good that year). 2003 shows up and just cuts out our hearts in the end...Jerry Manuel drives Sox fans and Keith Foulke to the brink of craziness with his Gandhian passiveness, the total opposite of Ozzie.

2005 followed by the collapse in 2006/2007....2008 followed by huge disappointment in 2009 and starting off 2010.

Notice a pattern?

No sustainable success.

Overall, of course, the 2000's have been the "glory" decade for the franchise overall, since the turn of the century teams of 1905-1917 and the late 50's/early 60's teams.

We are the bi-polar franchise of baseball.

Then you throw out that statistic that we're like 3rd or 4th in winning percentage in all of MLB dating back to 1990....behind the Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, something like that, I wonder what the updated overall PCTG would be for teams since 2000 (all of MLB) and where we'd place? Undoubtedly in the Top 8-10.

Leading to our lack of high draft picks and blown first round picks, non-development of Asian and Caribbean/Latin markets (after Ordonez/Lee), Dave Wilder and Regier...it's really amazing when you compare the homegrown Twins and how many players on our roster were originally drafted by the Sox. KW is the actual hero of "Liar's Poker" the financial novel, not the anti-hero of Moneyball.

Edited by caulfield12