Speaking of Overreacting...

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
I think you're talking about Anthony Rendon the 3b of Rice. He's great.

Don't forget about Taylor Jungmann, Gerrit Cole, Sonny Gray, Alex Meyer, Jack Armstrong and Matt Purke.

The 2011 class is going to be fantastic. It is stacked.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Don't forget about Taylor Jungmann, Gerrit Cole, Sonny Gray, Alex Meyer, Jack Armstrong and Matt Purke.

The 2011 class is going to be fantastic. It is stacked.

Like '08?

Man, at least we pick good years to suck.

I seriously hope the White Sox start drafting players that fit the "natural baseball player" mold rather than drafting players who are "athletes".

Look at all the horrible players that were drafted just because they were considered to be good athletes: Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, Josh Fields, Lance Broadway, etc etc etc.

Just because someone's a good athlete doesn't mean it'll translate to being a natural baseball player.

I'd rather see the Sox drafting more players of the natural baseball player mold, because lets be honest, a player like Mark Buehrle would never have been drafted if the Sox were looking for pure "athletes" when they drafted him.

It looks like the Sox has a better drafting philosphy with the drafting of Beckham and Mitchell, but I'd rather see the Sox abandon the whole "drafting athletes" philosophy overall and start drafting guys who have shown in college baseball to be natural baseball players.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
I seriously hope the White Sox start drafting players that fit the "natural baseball player" mold rather than drafting players who are "athletes".

Look at all the horrible players that were drafted just because they were considered to be good athletes: Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, Josh Fields, Lance Broadway, etc etc etc.

Just because someone's a good athlete doesn't mean it'll translate to being a natural baseball player.

I'd rather see the Sox drafting more players of the natural baseball player mold, because lets be honest, a player like Mark Buehrle would never have been drafted if the Sox were looking for pure "athletes" when they drafted him.

It looks like the Sox has a better drafting philosphy with the drafting of Beckham and Mitchell, but I'd rather see the Sox abandon the whole "drafting athletes" philosophy overall and start drafting guys who have shown in college baseball to be natural baseball players.

wha?

Joe Borchard was considered to be a guy that could hit 40+ homers a season. Josh Fields had massive power as well. Brian Anderson was an all-around good player, and Lance Broadway was basically acknowledged as a safe pick that the Sox thought they might be able to capitalize on his value early on and deal him (much the same as McCulloch).

I would also say that you don't like the pick of Jared Mitchell, whereas everybody else in the baseball community basically loved that pick.

I want to see them draft guys with great natural talent, regardless of whether they are "baseball" players or "athletes."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
wha?

Joe Borchard was considered to be a guy that could hit 40+ homers a season. Josh Fields had massive power as well. Brian Anderson was an all-around good player, and Lance Broadway was basically acknowledged as a safe pick that the Sox thought they might be able to capitalize on his value early on and deal him (much the same as McCulloch).

I would also say that you don't like the pick of Jared Mitchell, whereas everybody else in the baseball community basically loved that pick.

I want to see them draft guys with great natural talent, regardless of whether they are "baseball" players or "athletes."

Not to mention Tracye Thompson.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)

so what yer sayin' is: draft Grindy!!!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
George Springer the CF from UCONN (i'm a bit biased) is toolsy as all hell, putting up great numbers, and was drafted by the Twins a couple years back. Wouldn't mind bringing him into the fold.

Love that kid. Doesn't hurt either like you said.. he was a Twins draftee (I believe Mitchell was also drafted by the Twins out of high school.)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
Never can have too many Darrin Erstads, David Ecksteins, and Aaron Rowands.

Jeremy Reed is a perfect example. Reaches potential/limits in college with an aluminum bat. So much of drafting is "projectability."

His upside was limited very much from the beginning, yet he was the College Player of the Year, correct?

Beckham also was...but there's a big difference between the two, it's not just power and playing a middle infield position.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Jeremy Reed is a perfect example. Reaches potential/limits in college with an aluminum bat. So much of drafting is "projectability."

His upside was limited very much from the beginning, yet he was the College Player of the Year, correct?

Beckham also was...but there's a big difference between the two, it's not just power and playing a middle infield position.

If he peaked in college considering his .409 AVG. with a 1065 OPS in Birmingham, a place a lot of pretty good players didn't put up impressive numbers, as a 22 year old, he must of been the greatest college hitter of all time.

Edited by Dick Allen

I mean in terms of getting the most out of his baseball ability...it was never, ever going to translate at the major league level.

He never had the power for 1B or a corner spot, or the athleticism for CF. It's a little bit like the Sweeney situation, but he was a "raw" high school athlete from Iowa with that beautiful, "projectable" swing from the LH side, natural/fluid fielding mechanics, the idea he would naturally evolve into a 18-24 homer guy with less average than Olerud (another great college player).

I'll name another for you.

Jeffrey Abbott...he put up amazing numbers at UK and also in the low minors, only to disappear very quickly from the face of the Earth...the unforgettable Ramirez of FLA, the "anti-Abbott" was acquired by KW, who always goes after that and guys like D'Angelo Jimenez.

But those guys taught (or should have) that character counts as much as ability. Everyone in the clubhouse hated Jimenez and Thomas almost killed him before he had to be restrained by teammates.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
I mean in terms of getting the most out of his baseball ability...it was never, ever going to translate at the major league level.

He never had the power for 1B or a corner spot, or the athleticism for CF. It's a little bit like the Sweeney situation, but he was a "raw" high school athlete from Iowa with that beautiful, "projectable" swing from the LH side, natural/fluid fielding mechanics, the idea he would naturally evolve into a 18-24 homer guy with less average than Olerud (another great college player).

I'll name another for you.

Jeffrey Abbott...he put up amazing numbers at UK and also in the low minors, only to disappear very quickly from the face of the Earth...the unforgettable Ramirez of FLA, the "anti-Abbott" was acquired by KW, who always goes after that and guys like D'Angelo Jimenez.

But those guys taught (or should have) that character counts as much as ability. Everyone in the clubhouse hated Jimenez and Thomas almost killed him before he had to be restrained by teammates.

Reed was at one time one of the better defensive CFs in baseball. He was a good prospect. Not a 30 homer guy but you could have projected maybe 12-17 and if he's hitting .330 he'd have been a big run producer. KW dumped him at the perfect time.

Are guys like Jordan Danks and Viciedo head and shoulders better than Reed? Reed was considered one of the better prospects in baseball. There were a lot of pissed posters when the Sox dumped him.

Abbott was a .327 career minor league hitter. I think he beat out Magglio for a hitting crown in AAA by .001 or something. He did have a huge homer for the 2000 White Sox that many thought really got them rolling.

Edited by Dick Allen

I wasn't worried about Reed at all.

I was more concerned about Olivo getting his offensive act together and becoming a dominant catcher, but his game-calling and strategic side never evolved defensively. He was like a two-trick pony, that arm and pop/speed from the offensive side.

And I liked the versatility of Morse, Seattle really tried to find a home for him at different positions, but he was a "tweener" everywhere you put him on the diamond, like a 6'3" small forward in the NBA.

I don't know the actual number, but Abbott hit around .400 for most of the year with Hickory in 1993/1994, one of those years. It was unbelieveable. He overshadowed Ordonez at that point....in fact, it was 94 I'm pretty sure, because I was working in Augusta. JD came in one night and used my phone, he was playing for Macon. Andruw Jones the next year, I saw him maybe 20 times when he was already a legend at 17-18 or whatever his age was back then. Also, Vladimir Guerrero and Ruben Rivera were the Gods then. Missed Jeter's massive error display at Greensboro by one year. Jose Guillen was the best player on our team...since I spoke Spanish, and he didn't, I always had to help him out. He'd actually stabbed one of his teammates in Bradenton, the Pirates were scared to death of his personality even then but also scared to death not to promote him to A ball and see what type of a diamond in the rough they had. That guy had a monster arm, 2nd to VLAD and ahead of Dye back then. Could do everything but run, just amazingly talented. And he's really a small/short guy if you see him in person. I remember him going into McDonald's all the time trying to struggle to order a hamburger, that always cracked me up big-time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
I wasn't worried about Reed at all.

I was more concerned about Olivo getting his offensive act together and becoming a dominant catcher, but his game-calling and strategic side never evolved defensively. He was like a two-trick pony, that arm and pop/speed from the offensive side.

And I liked the versatility of Morse, Seattle really tried to find a home for him at different positions, but he was a "tweener" everywhere you put him on the diamond, like a 6'3" small forward in the NBA.

I don't know the actual number, but Abbott hit around .400 for most of the year with Hickory in 1993/1994, one of those years. It was unbelieveable. He overshadowed Ordonez at that point....in fact, it was 94 I'm pretty sure, because I was working in Augusta. JD came in one night and used my phone, he was playing for Macon. Andruw Jones the next year, I saw him maybe 20 times when he was already a legend at 17-18 or whatever his age was back then. Also, Vladimir Guerrero and Ruben Rivera were the Gods then. Missed Jeter's massive error display at Greensboro by one year. Jose Guillen was the best player on our team...since I spoke Spanish, and he didn't, I always had to help him out. He'd actually stabbed one of his teammates in Bradenton, the Pirates were scared to death of his personality even then but also scared to death not to promote him to A ball and see what type of a diamond in the rough they had. That guy had a monster arm, 2nd to VLAD and ahead of Dye back then. Could do everything but run, just amazingly talented. And he's really a small/short guy if you see him in person. I remember him going into McDonald's all the time trying to struggle to order a hamburger, that always cracked me up big-time.

Those are some pretty cool experiences.

Probably my favorite memory, besides going to Hooter's every night with the coaching staff and having an unlimited free supply of ballpark food...was going on the road in 1995 to beat Jaret Wright in Colombus in a one game, sudden death playoff.

That guy was an absolute monster back then...just scary good. We somehow beat him 1-0.

That's when Cleveland was producing all those young quality hitters like Sexson, Casey, Giles, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
Probably my favorite memory, besides going to Hooter's every night with the coaching staff and having an unlimited free supply of ballpark food...was going on the road in 1995 to beat Jaret Wright in Colombus in a one game, sudden death playoff.

That guy was an absolute monster back then...just scary good. We somehow beat him 1-0.

That's when Cleveland was producing all those young quality hitters like Sexson, Casey, Giles, etc.

Ha, I remember when the Sox almost signed Wright after his great year with Atlanta. Thankfully the Yankees swooped in, because he was awful again. I remember being fully on board for that signing, because I thought he looked like he'd figured it out again.