4/18 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Viciedo 2-4. Hitting .256. I see him as more of a .275 hitter, so i'm not ready to write him off just yet.

you're not ready to write a 20 or 21 year old off in his 2nd year of professional baseball? Way to walk out on a limb.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Viciedo 2-4. Hitting .256. I see him as more of a .275 hitter, so i'm not ready to write him off just yet.

This will be his 1st year in Charlotte of what should be 2 years. Hopefully this season he can hit for a decent avg. and show a little pop and next year is when I'd expect him to really breakout.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
you're not ready to write a 20 or 21 year old off in his 2nd year of professional baseball? Way to walk out on a limb.

I didn't really see the need to go combative there, but I guess you did. I was defending the guy, not painting myself as an authority on the subject,

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
Shelby with a double for B'ham. Hot bat.

Shelby is a streaky player.

When he gets hot, he gets 'carry the ballclub' type hot... lots of extra base hits... seems like he can't do anything wrong.

When he's cold, he can't buy a base hit.

Seems like there's not much in between.

It would be great to see him even out and become more consistent.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
I wonder if the inevitable consequence of Retheford being called-up, could be Shelby going to AAA. If he keeps hitting like this, he might fall into a promotion.

I know you're on the 'Ozzie hates Nix' bandwagon, but I don't see what you're suggesting happening.

No good reason to bring up CJ and sit him on the bench. Might as well be in Charlotte getting at-bats and prepping to replace Nix in 2011.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
After Danks2/Mitchell, Thompson is probably my favorite prospect. He kinda stunk last season so hopefully he breaks out in a big way this year.

He's by far my favorite OF prospect (Nate Jones as far as pitchers, Dan Black [tee hee] and Escobar/Gilmore tie as far as IF) has the highest potential of any OF (or dare I say.. our prospects overall, though that could be debatable) in our system currently. Has a chance to be a monster... IF everything goes right.

Nick Ciolli adding to his K rate. Damn and I thought Silverio would be the one leading that offense in K's.. wow.

Much better start Collop. :)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
I wonder if the inevitable consequence of Retheford being called-up, could be Shelby going to AAA. If he keeps hitting like this, he might fall into a promotion.

He's got to be more patient at the plate though. He was much better learning from patient guys like Flowers, Beckham, Danks, etc.. last season. So far.. 0 BB 13 SO.. Don't think the sox want to promote him yet unless he's hitting like .500 for a while.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Shelby is a streaky player.

When he gets hot, he gets 'carry the ballclub' type hot... lots of extra base hits... seems like he can't do anything wrong.

When he's cold, he can't buy a base hit.

Seems like there's not much in between.

It would be great to see him even out and become more consistent.

I really wish he could play 2B. That would allow us to move Beckham...although the odds of Beckham playing SS with Guillen as manager seem to be 5-10% at best.

As an outfielder, he's arguably going to have to hit at an 825-850 OPS to be a corner, unless he can trick Ozzie into believing he's a leadoff guy more in the mold of Wise/Lillibridge/Owens/Pods/Pierre.