ozzfest

Fact or Fiction:

*Beckham hits over 290 on the season

*Peavy wins 15 games

*Jenks finishes the season as closer

*Quentin Hits 30 home runs

*Scott Linebrink will be on the roster come august

* Freddy Garcia will be the 5th starter come July

* KW will make a major trade mid-season (A-Gone type of deal)

* White Sox make the playoffs

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)
Fact or Fiction:

*Peavy wins 15 games

Fiction, Fiction, Fiction, Fact, Fact, Fiction, Fiction, FICTION

Any of those are possible, I would put the most money on Beckham despite the sophomore slump possibilities.

He already had that the last 4-6 weeks of 2009, IMO.

The least likely to happen would be a major transaction ACQUIRING ADDITIONAL SALARY. There's a 50/50 chance of a big deal going down though...but it will be revenue neutral, not like the Rios and Peavy deals.

Garcia pitching after May doesn't make sense if the Sox are eliminated. You bring up Hudson unless you're going to trade him, which would be absolutely insane at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
Any of those are possible, I would put the most money on Beckham despite the sophomore slump possibilities.

He already had that the last 4-6 weeks of 2009, IMO.

The least likely to happen would be a major transaction ACQUIRING ADDITIONAL SALARY. There's a 50/50 chance of a big deal going down though...but it will be revenue neutral, not like the Rios and Peavy deals.

Garcia pitching after May doesn't make sense if the Sox are eliminated. You bring up Hudson unless you're going to trade him, which would be absolutely insane at this point.

I agree completely with what you said about Garcia, as well as the revenue neutral deal. Do you think well see a contract extension for Konerko then?

wcsox has been suggesting $20 million/3 years for Konerko.

I think that's fair, it doesn't insult it him, it keeps the 2nd most popular Sox player (#1 to 1/3rd) in the fold.

However, I do think two years with option/s for the 3rd would be the route I would take at his age, and with the uncertain economic future of the franchise. The long-term deal has turned out to be something of a financial straightjacket for the team, along with Contreras as well.

If the minor league guys had to bet, I don't think they'd see Viciedo as being ready in 2011 (yes, the jury's far from out, but premature evaluation is murky at best), and Flowers would have to be converted mid-year or in the AFL to 1B.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Let PK walk at the end of this season. He's a pretty average player now who's best days are well behind him.

I don't think Angels wants PK anymore, he would have to take a pretty big cut to play anywhere? Is there market for him?

- Fiction. Unless he gets on a tear, so far he hasnt looked great this season so im gonna assume hes in the .270-.280 range for this year.

*Peavy wins 15 games

- Fact. I think as the season goes on, Peavy will get better and be our best pitcher.

- Fact. Hes been solid so far this season, unless he literally implodes or is hurt and unable to finish the season I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be the closer.

- Fiction. Unless he starts hitting for a better average hes more than likely going to be in the mid 20's. Although ide like to see him hit over 30, just not ready to believe its gonna happen.

- Fact. The only way I don't see him with the team at this time is if they are way out of it before then and give him away to someone. I think hes still here.

- Fiction. He will be replaced by Hudson.

- Fiction. I don't think we are going to be close enough to make such a deal, and the price would be too high to pay with a team that prolly wont be in the race. No reason to move off pieces like Hudson, Flowers, and Danks for false hopes.

- Fiction. I don't think there is a chance this team can win the wildcard, so that means they will have to best the Twins and from what I have seen so far, that's not going to happen. Even if the Twins come down from their hot start, I think it would take a lot for them to not win the Central.

Fact or Fiction:

Fact, Beckham started last year cold and hasn't played a lot in April yet, so it could be the weather bugging the Georgia boy. I think he will end up going on a tear mid-season to get his average to .290

*Peavy wins 15 games

Fact, he showed some return to form last start, and Cy Young pitchers in their primes rarely fall off a large margin.

Fact, I think the Sox will ride it out with Bobby, because if he's bad, then they won't be able to trade him, and Ozzie stands by his guys.

Fiction, as of now. I think he still has the ability, but his injury history and the way he looks this year make me have my doubts.

Fact, he'll pitch well the first half, and due to a smaller workload, maybe the second half. Plus, no one will take him and he's expensive to cut.

Fiction. This will be Daniel Hudson.

Fact, if you consider Berkman as such. While I'd love to get A-Gon, I have a feeling Theo Epstein will get him for the Sawks. Berkman can be had for far less (thus keeping Hudson) due to his Free Agency or Massive contract. I could see him had for something that does little to drastically impact the Sox farm system.

Fact, if all of the above happens.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
Why would we want Berkman if we're in 3rd-5th place?

I think the Sox will eventually be in it at some point.

Every team hits a rough patch, and I'm just hoping ours is earlier than everyone elses.

Good post

Fact or Fiction:

*Beckham hits over 290 on the season (Fact ... I think.)

*Peavy wins 15 games (no chance)

*Jenks finishes the season as closer (Fact, unless he gets hurt; hard to predict).

*Quentin Hits 30 home runs (He comes close either way; I'd say fiction)

*Scott Linebrink will be on the roster come august (Fact)

* Freddy Garcia will be the 5th starter come July (Fact)

* KW will make a major trade mid-season (A-Gone type of deal) (Could go either way. I'll say Fact)

* White Sox make the playoffs (No way in hell)

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

+Quote Post

Fact or Fiction:

*Beckham hits over 290 on the season FACT - I think he's the real deal

*Peavy wins 15 games FACT - IF we can score some freaking runs for him

*Jenks finishes the season as closer FICTION - He'll be part of a deal

*Quentin Hits 30 home runs FACT - CQ will figure it out and get scorching hot

*Scott Linebrink will be on the roster come august FICTION - He'll be part of a deal too

* Freddy Garcia will be the 5th starter come July FICTION - FG will probably wear down or teams will figure out his 80mph junk

* KW will make a major trade mid-season (A-Gone type of deal) FACT - KW HATES to lose and I believe JR does too

* White Sox make the playoffs FACT - Good God I hope so, but if not, I think they make moves and destroy the AL Central in 2011

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Let PK walk at the end of this season. He's a pretty average player now who's best days are well behind him.

He's still underrated as a first basemen, though. Maybe not for range, but as a receiver from the rest of the infield.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Fact or Fiction:

*Beckham hits over 290 on the season (Fact - He'll bat around .290 this year and be even better next year)

*Peavy wins 15 games (Fact - He will come around and be the ace of the staff)

*Jenks finishes the season as closer (Fiction - He gets traded)

*Quentin Hits 30 home runs (Fact - His batting average may be a bit low, but his power numbers will be there)

*Scott Linebrink will be on the roster come august (Fact - We can't get rid of the guy)

* Freddy Garcia will be the 5th starter come July (Fiction - Hudson takes over by June)

* KW will make a major trade mid-season (A-Gone type of deal) (Fiction - There will be a few small deals, nothing earth-shattering)

* White Sox make the playoffs (Fiction - Unfortunately our less than stellar lineup and the Twins playing better baseball do the Sox in)

Fact or Fiction:

Fiction. I will say .279.

*Peavy wins 15 games

Fiction. No wins so far. 15 is not an easy number to get regardless and our offense is horrible. He will miss a few starts to injury and end up with 12 wins.

Fact. They won't remove him from closer and nobody will trade for him.

Fact. 31 homers but with a poor average of .256.

Fact. Nowhere for him to go.

Fiction. We will be out of the race and no reason to keep giving him starts over a young guy.

Fiction.

Fiction. The roster as constructed is not close to a playoff team. We need two above average offensive players to contend and not guys at the end of the career.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
Fact or Fiction:

Fiction. He's still developing. But I still think that he'll post a .280 and a .350 OBP.

*Peavy wins 15 games

Fiction. The offense and a slow start will limit him to 13 wins.

Fiction. I think that he's dealt in late July and that Putz moves into the closer role. He'll have more value at the deadline than he will in the off-season, and if the Sox want to get something out of him, they'll need to pull the trigger before August.

Fact. His BA is down, but his power is clearly still there.

Fact. Nobody wants to pick up his salary and DFAing one of Peavy's buddies is probably not a good idea.

Fact. The Sox want Hudson to develop in the minors and want to push back his arb-eligible timetable as far as possible. But he WILL take over the #5 spot after the ASB.

Fiction. There's no point in giving up top prospects for a rent-a-player when you're struggling to play .500 ball.

LOL, no way.

Edited by WCSox

Fact or Fiction:

*Peavy wins 15 games

*Fiction, but barely. I think he struggles in the first half, adjusts, and gets back into the 280's. 290 is not out of the question.

*Fact. Dude is fanstastic, and unless he's hurt, he'll get it back together.

*Fiction. Jenks struggles, and is demoted to a setup role. Trade won't happen.

*Fact. TCQ.

*Fact, and I think he has a very good season.

*Too close to call, depends on how the team is doing, as much as it does how Freddy is doing.

*If the Sox are in the race in June, KW WILL pick up a big bat. No doubt in my mind. But if they are out if it in June-July, they won't bother.

*Way too early to say.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
wcsox has been suggesting $20 million/3 years for Konerko.

I think that's fair, it doesn't insult it him, it keeps the 2nd most popular Sox player (#1 to 1/3rd) in the fold.

However, I do think two years with option/s for the 3rd would be the route I would take at his age, and with the uncertain economic future of the franchise. The long-term deal has turned out to be something of a financial straightjacket for the team, along with Contreras as well.

If the minor league guys had to bet, I don't think they'd see Viciedo as being ready in 2011 (yes, the jury's far from out, but premature evaluation is murky at best), and Flowers would have to be converted mid-year or in the AFL to 1B.

It's somewhat fair. I don't want him back for 3 more years, the salary amount makes sense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
It's somewhat fair. I don't want him back for 3 more years, the salary amount makes sense.

Yeah, it would just be kind of rude to not offer him three years, especially after the extension that JD got. I think that he's a semi-safe bet for two more .800+ OPS years, and then who knows.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Yeah, it would just be kind of rude to not offer him three years, especially after the extension that JD got. I think that he's a semi-safe bet for two more .800+ OPS years, and then who knows.

You want much more than a "semi-safe bet for 2 years of an .800 OPS" out of a 1Bman. You want .825 to be a bad season for your 1Bman, and you want to be able to expect .900+ rather easily. At the end of the year, as much as Konerko has done for the organization, you give him a handshake, thank him for all he's done, and let him go find another job elsewhere.

Emotional attachments in business lose money/games and cost people in upper management jobs, and offering Konerko a 3 year deal at this point in time is nothing more than something done based on emotional attachment, because it's not fiscally responsible to offer Konerko a 3 year deal.

Fact or Fiction:

*Beckham hits over 290 on the season FACT

*Peavy wins 15 games FICTION

*Jenks finishes the season as closer FACT

*Quentin Hits 30 home runs FICTION

*Scott Linebrink will be on the roster come august FACT

* Freddy Garcia will be the 5th starter come July FACT

* KW will make a major trade mid-season (A-Gone type of deal) FICTION

* White Sox make the playoffs FICTION