Fact Or Fiction

ozzfest

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)
You want much more than a "semi-safe bet for 2 years of an .800 OPS" out of a 1Bman. You want .825 to be a bad season for your 1Bman, and you want to be able to expect .900+ rather easily. At the end of the year, as much as Konerko has done for the organization, you give him a handshake, thank him for all he's done, and let him go find another job elsewhere.

Emotional attachments in business lose money/games and cost people in upper management jobs, and offering Konerko a 3 year deal at this point in time is nothing more than something done based on emotional attachment, because it's not fiscally responsible to offer Konerko a 3 year deal.

I have to agree. He got a nice deal this last time around. PK has done a lot of great things for the team and as a fan I love the guy but 3 more years for below average production from a 1b doesn't make much sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
You want much more than a "semi-safe bet for 2 years of an .800 OPS" out of a 1Bman. You want .825 to be a bad season for your 1Bman, and you want to be able to expect .900+ rather easily.

PK would move to DH. And the last time that I checked, we don't have a better option there.

Emotional attachments in business lose money/games and cost people in upper management jobs, and offering Konerko a 3 year deal at this point in time is nothing more than something done based on emotional attachment, because it's not fiscally responsible to offer Konerko a 3 year deal.

I don't think that 3/20 is a bad deal for a veteran DH and clubhouse leader who can occasionally play 1B and who routinely posts an .830 OPS. That's not an "emotional attachment." It's filling a need. Or would you rather re-sign Andruw Jones or Kotsay? Or throw Jordan Danks in there and see how he does?

If you think that the Sox offense sucks now, just wait until PK's gone. We'll struggle to score 3 runs a game and Quentin will lead the league in walks.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
The way the FA market formed this off season and last, I wouldn't be surprised if Paulie has to settle for 2/10 or even a 1 year deal. It would be silly to give him that much money (3/20).

I think that 3/15 is more likely, as it'll probably be the last $10M+ deal he'll get.

My overarching point is that the Sox WILL need to replace his production. And there's nobody in-house right now who will be able to do that. Frankly, giving PK 3 years at $15-20M sounds a lot better than giving up the entire top tier of the farm system for AGon and then getting into a bidding war when he hits FA.

AGREED about A-Gon. 100%.

We're too far away that one player simply isn't enough to offset the margin of error in the ALCD. Maybe we'll change our minds again, but right now, 10% chance.

Besides, the Red Sox have the will and desire moreso than we do after the Rios and Peavy moves last year. KW's bullets are mostly spent, and Mitchell going down further damped enthusiam for dealing Jordan Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
AGREED about A-Gon. 100%.

We're too far away that one player simply isn't enough to offset the margin of error in the ALCD. Maybe we'll change our minds again, but right now, 10% chance.

Besides, the Red Sox have the will and desire moreso than we do after the Rios and Peavy moves last year. KW's bullets are mostly spent, and Mitchell going down further damped enthusiam for dealing Jordan Danks.

That makes no sense. You really think the Red Sox have more "will and desire" to win? They may indeed have more money to spend, but that is a different argument. Its just silly to think the White Sox somehow lack the desire to win as an organization.

It makes perfect sense.

The Red Sox are desperate. They're 4-9, same as us. They just got swept at home. Epstein won't stand for that very long...their fans are too spoiled. And they have the pieces and financial ability to make a trade happen.

You've got to be kidding me if you think we couldn't have added Damon, Matsui, Thome, O-Dog or Vladimir Guerrero to our roster...the "will to win" is usually blocked with financial reality, in BOS, that financial reality is in a different stratosphere altogether. Plus they let Jayson Bay go and didn't seriously pursue Holliday.

You're telling me that KW can go to JR AGAIN after taking on Peavy and Rios with mixed results (at best) and expect to get the go-ahead to sign Adrian Gonzalez to an $80-120 million dollar extension? REALLY?

I don't think so.

Maybe I should have chosen my phrasing more carefully...it's not that we don't want to win, of course we do, we just have more limited (and now dwindling resources), and most of KW's bullets are already spent...as we saw the last 2-3 weeks of the offseason when we missed on any targets we might have had. Losing Mitchell further complicated our compass of which direction to go in (adding/subtracting).

As we've heard a million times, our offseason was Peavy/Reason, not Teahen/Pierre/Vizquel/Jones/Putz.

Although I think both Putz and Jones both have the chance to be among the five best steals of the offseason...at least one of them. KW's specialty.

I'll use another image. Minnesota always had the "WILL TO WIN" but they were always 2-3 players short of competing with the big boys. That was 100% on Pohlad, who despite being one of the richest owners in baseball, was very very penurious with the pursestrings. No way I could ever say Brad Radke or Mientkiewicz didn't have the will to win, they just didn't have the ability to add superstars to their roster and keep them. Now they do.

Edited by caulfield12

You're telling me that KW can go to JR AGAIN after taking on Peavy and Rios with mix results (at best) and expect to get the go-ahead to sign Adrian Gonzalez to an $80-120 million dollar extension? REALLY?
Unless he has a terrible season or gets hurt, you're off by at least a factor of 2 in dollars.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
HUH?

You're saying he will get $160-240 million dollars on the free market?

I think there's a possibility that AGon gets less than $100M. Bay only got $66M from the Mets. And since the Yankees won't be in play (with Tex at 1B for years to come), that'll help drive his price down somewhat.

That said, I'd be surprised if AGon didn't get $100M+ and would be shocked if he signed for less than $80M.

''It's OK, even in a 12-game span or one game, it's perfectly OK to be disappointed and upset,'' Paul Konerko said of the building doom and gloom around the team, ''but as long as you come back the next day and can cut that baggage away, that you can still have that belief that what you're doing as an individual or as a team, you're doing it the right way and that will win out, you have to trust that.

''You can't say, 'Well, we're doing everything right, what if we just never get it going?' You can't think about what ifs like that. Guys fight that. You fight it on a personal level because we've had a few good offensive games, we've had games where we didn't score runs but everybody did the little things right. There have been games where the ball just happened to be hit in the wrong place, there was this crack and we didn't take advantage, and it's then easy to say, 'OK, we're not doing this right, we have to change something.' You don't trust what you're doing then, you stray from it. Especially early, it's easy to stray from yourself or the team, from the concept that you laid out in the offseason and spring training. You can't do that.

''You make minor adjustments as you go, but that doesn't mean that if it doesn't go well you shouldn't be pissed off. You just need to come back the next day with the same beliefs. So far, everyone has done that.'' suntimes.com

He's a 1B, after all....I think you have to give those contract numbers to a "premium" position like SS, CF and C or perhaps the right pitcher.

Paulie being a leader. It's why we will really really miss AJ, Paulie and Buehrle someday in the not-too-distant future. Hopefully Peavy and Beckham can start picking up some of the slack there, and Teahen/Pierre.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
It makes perfect sense.

The Red Sox are desperate. They're 4-9, same as us. They just got swept at home. Epstein won't stand for that very long...their fans are too spoiled. And they have the pieces and financial ability to make a trade happen.

You've got to be kidding me if you think we couldn't have added Damon, Matsui, Thome, O-Dog or Vladimir Guerrero to our roster...the "will to win" is usually blocked with financial reality, in BOS, that financial reality is in a different stratosphere altogether. Plus they let Jayson Bay go and didn't seriously pursue Holliday.

You're telling me that KW can go to JR AGAIN after taking on Peavy and Rios with mixed results (at best) and expect to get the go-ahead to sign Adrian Gonzalez to an $80-120 million dollar extension? REALLY?

I don't think so.

Maybe I should have chosen my phrasing more carefully...it's not that we don't want to win, of course we do, we just have more limited (and now dwindling resources), and most of KW's bullets are already spent...as we saw the last 2-3 weeks of the offseason when we missed on any targets we might have had. Losing Mitchell further complicated our compass of which direction to go in (adding/subtracting).

As we've heard a million times, our offseason was Peavy/Reason, not Teahen/Pierre/Vizquel/Jones/Putz.

Although I think both Putz and Jones both have the chance to be among the five best steals of the offseason...at least one of them. KW's specialty.

I'll use another image. Minnesota always had the "WILL TO WIN" but they were always 2-3 players short of competing with the big boys. That was 100% on Pohlad, who despite being one of the richest owners in baseball, was very very penurious with the pursestrings. No way I could ever say Brad Radke or Mientkiewicz didn't have the will to win, they just didn't have the ability to add superstars to their roster and keep them. Now they do.

Somewhere around the 3rd or 4th graf of your verbose post, you get to the point. If you are saying the Sox don't have the minor league bullets, or cash, to make the moves necessary... then I agree for the most part. Your original post, saying it was about will and desire, just didn't make sense.