Old Trade Rumors Revisited

Quin

Joe Crede for Ervin Santana and Chone Figgins.

I remember this trade being rumored in 2007 I think. And with the way Crede's health has been since, this would have been a no-brainer. Having Figgins gives you your lead off man (allowing Pierre to bat 9th), and Santana could be a strong 5th starter, or traded to clear room for Hudson.

Jon Garland for Jason Hirsch, Taylor Bucholz, and Willy Taveras.

This trade would have been horrible if it had been done. Bucholz and Hirsch are both mediocre relievers while Taveras is a crappy version (strike out prone) of Juan Pierre. I'll take O-Cab (and eventually Phegley) over that.

Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey.

In retrospective, with how JD imploded last year, this would have been a good deal. Bailey looks like he still has room to improve, but he would have been a fine fifth starter for the Sox.

Feel free to add your own old trade rumors.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)

I remember this trade being rumored in 2007 I think. And with the way Crede's health has been since, this would have been a no-brainer. Having Figgins gives you your lead off man (allowing Pierre to bat 9th), and Santana could be a strong 5th starter, or traded to clear room for Hudson.

I don't remember this one at all. Was this a rumor before or after the '07 season? If before, I wouldn't have done it. Crede was coming off a career year prior to 2007. And at that time there was no way of knowing the back problems would be reoccuring. If this trade was proposed after 2007, yes, this would've been a no-brainer.

This trade would have been horrible if it had been done. Bucholz and Hirsch are both mediocre relievers while Taveras is a crappy version (strike out prone) of Juan Pierre. I'll take O-Cab (and eventually Phegley) over that.

This would've been one of those hindsight trades. Hirsch and Bucholz were pretty highly touted prospects at the time. And Willy T appeared to have great upside. I can't say it would've been a bad deal at the time. I was never a big Garland fan. He had one good year sandwiched between a pile of mediocrity. But he's never sniffed the DL and can give you 200+ innings with relative ease.

In retrospective, with how JD imploded last year, this would have been a good deal. Bailey looks like he still has room to improve, but he would have been a fine fifth starter for the Sox.

Totally dropped the ball here. I bumped the Dye/Bailey thread from 2008 a month ago or so. Classic case of hanging on to an aging/declining vet a year too late. Now to be fair, I'm not sure it's ever come out why the deal didn't go down. I know KW wanted another prospect+Bailey. If that's the case then he f***ed up.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
I don't remember this one at all. Was this a rumor before or after the '07 season? If before, I wouldn't have done it. Crede was coming off a career year prior to 2007. And at that time there was no way of knowing the back problems would be reoccuring. If this trade was proposed after 2007, yes, this would've been a no-brainer.

I remember the trade clearly, other than I think the Sox were sending over someone else with Crede.

Every single time I see Ervin Santana or Chone Figgins I think of this trade.

I want to say it was proposed early 2007, but again, not sure.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)

I'm assuming you mean hypothetically here, especially since I never like to look at old trades or could had beens since there were a couple I'm glad we didn't do or wish we should have myself, but you do realize that if Figgins was on this team now, Pierre wouldn't be right? Or assuming if Figgins was with us in 07-09, he would have been a FA (see the contract he got with Seattle with the financial budget we have especially, not to mention I believe he was a Type A as well) and NOT on the 2010 team right?

From everything I read, I always had the idea Jocketty had concerns about giving up a young pitcher with that kind of talent...and there were mysterious rumors about an injury or loss in velocity floating around too, but he was around St. Louis enough to know the value of both Dave Duncan and quality young starting pitchers.

My recollection is that Jocketty wanted more than just Dye (maybe a financial subsidy), but maybe I'm completely wrong.

I do remember that was the one that the local writer (I think Hal McCoy) actually broke the story that it was a done deal and then it was mysteriously retracted...maybe when the backlash against the deal mounted in the Reds' scouting department?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)

Anaheim had no interest in the deal

Kenny wanted Pence in the deal, that is why it fell apart.

I am pretty sure Cincy is the one who killed this deal because we weren't willing to include cash to the big monetary imbalance in the deal.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 01:24 AM)
I remember the trade clearly, other than I think the Sox were sending over someone else with Crede.

Every single time I see Ervin Santana or Chone Figgins I think of this trade.

I want to say it was proposed early 2007, but again, not sure.

I think the rumor on this trade was Konerko not Crede.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
None of those deals were stopped by KW, so I'm not sure what the point of the thread is. I'm sure there are plenty of deals that he offered that were turned down.

The deal with Houston was turned down by Kenny because he wanted Hunter Pence, and then spun Garland for OCab instead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
The deal with Houston was turned down by Kenny because he wanted Hunter Pence, and then spun Garland for OCab instead.

'Tis true, he wanted a Pence but alas he could only offer a Garland and not a Schilling...

The interesting things about the Dye trade rumors are 1) Bailey appears to have turned things around 2) Abreu was a free agent and could have been Dye's replacement in RF.

How about:

Dye to Tampa Bay for Edwin Jackson (I think KW wanted more than Jackson)

How about KW signs Kenny Rogers for peanuts in 2003 for nothing and we walk away with the division, actually having a 5th starter and depriving Minnesota of aforementioned "ace"...better than a 5th, the way he performed that year?

Same thing applies to this year....sign O-Dog and Thome, take them away from Minnesota, and we're at least even with them.

QUOTE (striker @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
The interesting things about the Dye trade rumors are 1) Bailey appears to have turned things around 2) Abreu was a free agent and could have been Dye's replacement in RF.

How about:

Dye to Tampa Bay for Edwin Jackson (I think KW wanted more than Jackson)

Abreu was going to be Dye's replacement. Williams wanted to shy away from the power hitters and bring in more on base people, but couldn't find someone to take on Dye while getting fair value. Tampa was never going to trade Jackson for Dye because they wanted a cheap left handed bat (and Jermaine Dye was obviously an expensive right handed bat), and Dye simply cost too much for the Reds to justify dealing Bailey without getting some cash thrown in (and then they ended up getting Ramon Hernandez, which was good enough for them).