Jon Gilmore: 10 Game Tease or Breakout Candidate?

Ozzie Ball

Jon Gilmore: 10 Game Tease or Breakout Candidate?

Jon Gilmore is one of a few White Sox farmhands that have started the 2010 season brightly, but is he a legitimate breakout candidate, or is it all smoke and mirrors?

Jon Gilmore was one of the pieces that the White Sox received in the deal that sent Javier Vazquez to the Braves on December 4, 2008. Gilmore had just completed his age 19 season with the Danville (Rk) and Rome (A-) Braves. Across the two levels Gilmore posted a .294/.320/.394 triple slash line, not great, but not terrible for a player of his age.

A supplemental first round draft pick (33rd overall) in 2007 out of Iowa City HS (IA), Gilmore was noted for his strength and athleticism. He was considered a strong defensive prospect at 3B with with terrific bat speed and huge raw power, so obviously expectations were high.

Continued...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I remember thinking he reminded me a lot of the Brandon Allen path. Hopefully he progresses like Brandon.

Yeah, Allen even repeated Kannapolis instead of going to W-S like Gilmore at this age. Power hitters tend to develop later. I don't get the same vibe from Gilmore though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
Yeah, Allen even repeated Kannapolis instead of going to W-S like Gilmore at this age. Power hitters tend to develop later. I don't get the same vibe from Gilmore though.

I don't know anything about the guy except what I have read here. Just reading his story the name Brandon Allen popped into my head.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Just the fact that the Braves dumped him off so quickly makes me feel that there's little chance that he'll amount to anything.

The Braves also got a guy they thought was a front of the rotation pitcher. Its not like they got nothing in the deal.

Gilmore still hitting well 64 ab's into the season. .375/.400/.469/.869 line. Obviously he won't sustain that ridiculous avg, but, there's a chance that this is his breakout season. I have my fingers crossed with him, maybe as his avg goes down some of those doubles start turning into HR's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
The Braves also got a guy they thought was a front of the rotation pitcher. Its not like they got nothing in the deal.

Well, for the year they had him that's exactly what they got.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
And look what the Braves gave up for a few month rental in Teixeira?

Set themselves back a 1-2 years with that trade. A core of Heyward/Andrus/Hanson/Feliz would've been, um, breathtaking.