Where is Kenny?

Getupstretch39

QUOTE (Getupstretch39 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Has he given any interviews recently? I haven't heard his comments on this horrendous start and was wondering if anyone else has?

According to the sun times it was:

Long season. Good team. Relax.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
It's really weird but I was just coming here to post the exact same thing.

I am not here to start more pessimism, but honestly the whole In Kenny I trust is old. He hasn't given me one reason to trust him since the 2005 season. I wholeheartedly agree this is a long season and the Sox will probably get on a hot streak soon, but still, this team is clearly not a playoff-caliber team as constructed. And we don't even have thr prospects really to get a big name and worse yet, we don't have the prospects that can come up and make an immediate impact.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
I am not here to start more pessimism, but honestly the whole In Kenny I trust is old. He hasn't given me one reason to trust him since the 2005 season. I wholeheartedly agree this is a long season and the Sox will probably get on a hot streak soon, but still, this team is clearly not a playoff-caliber team as constructed. And we don't even have thr prospects really to get a big name and worse yet, we don't have the prospects that can come up and make an immediate impact.

I don't know.. it goes both ways with me. I am for one a little upset right now because I tend to think Kenny did not do a good job putting the lineup together so we can compete with the Twins. (most likely a overreaction)

I do remember when in 09 the Tigers added Jarrod Washburn, and Kenny went out and got Peavy (2nd time around) and everyone at ST was praising him saying, Kenny hates to lose and he will do anything he can to help us win and he just did. (even though it didn't work out like that)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)

I kinda disagree with everything here. You say he hasn't given you one reason to trust him since 2005, but every year he's been in charge we've been competitive at least through July-August. Every year going into spring training, I've felt like we have had a chance to win the division. Some years are better than others, but no more The Kids Can Play or some boring manager like Jerry Manuel running the team. Ticket sales are higher, payrolls are higher, Ozzie Guillen is pretty much Mr. Baseball, and there is no revolving door at any front office position. I mean, the Twins sucked one year and hit paydirt with Joe freakin Mauer; it happens. We have the best prospects I've ever seen this team have (I'm only 25 though); granted they aren't Joe Mauer, but they aren't Kip Wells and Danny Wright either. There is upside down there. There is upside everywhere; I think we all got a little greedy with 2005.

That being said, I think Walk has to go. Like he said in that recent interview, the pressure is always on our batters; I feel nervous everytime somebody is up to bat, and that sucks. We need some carefree, fun hitting coach to make these men play like kids again. The pitching is awesome. Also, Adrian Gonzalez would be really nice not only for his bat, but to get every Mexican kid in Chicago wanting to come to the ballpark, and maybe we could make a big dent in the cubs strangle hold over the city. To sum up, we are making huge strides. I want Alexei gone too, but I'm done ramblin mannin it now :gosoxretro:

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
I kinda disagree with everything here. You say he hasn't given you one reason to trust him since 2005, but every year he's been in charge we've been competitive at least through July-August. Every year going into spring training, I've felt like we have had a chance to win the division. Some years are better than others, but no more The Kids Can Play or some boring manager like Jerry Manuel running the team. Ticket sales are higher, payrolls are higher, Ozzie Guillen is pretty much Mr. Baseball, and there is no revolving door at any front office position. I mean, the Twins sucked one year and hit paydirt with Joe freakin Mauer; it happens. We have the best prospects I've ever seen this team have (I'm only 25 though); granted they aren't Joe Mauer, but they aren't Kip Wells and Danny Wright either. There is upside down there. There is upside everywhere; I think we all got a little greedy with 2005.

First of all, it isn't enough to be competitive through July/August. I do remember the old adage that KW put the best team on the field (I think Hawk said this every year we didn't win the division), but at some point, I think we need to be realists and realize maybe, in fact, we didn't have the better team and maybe that's why we didn't win. In 2003/2004 (when we finished nine games/four games out of first place, respectively) I also agreed with Hawk that KW put the best team out there, and it just didn't happen. But I have realized that was just a poor excuse. It really was KW not putting a better team out there, and really with the payroll we have had compared to our division rivals, there is no reason we shouldn't have won more than two divisions in KW's reign. We also said the "best prospects" thing in 2000. And where did those guys end up? Well, the two best probably are kicking our butt in the Twins bullpen, but clearly they didn't pan out quite like the experts thought. We don't have a top-50-type prospect, rather three or four 50- to 100- range prospects. I am just sick of the same excuses that KW has done all he can because clearly he hasn't built the best team.

The White Sox could be in first place in a week, probably not, but its not like they are finished. One thing is clear though, KW is not as calm about the situation as his email wants you to believe. Whether he can or will or needs to do anything about the roster remains to be seen (I think offense needs to be added) but right now although he may not be officially panicking, I'm sure he's more unpleasant to be around than normal.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
I kinda disagree with everything here. You say he hasn't given you one reason to trust him since 2005, but every year he's been in charge we've been competitive at least through July-August.

Doesn't that include about 20 other teams in the league though too? I mean, at that point in the season, there really are only about 5 teams that have no significant statistical chance of making it, and then another 5 that are still within some type of level that has been accomplished before (say, 12 games back), but still leaves them with virtually no chance barring something miraculous. I mean, if you are 8 games back with 60 to play, you can go 38-22 and tie for a division title if the team in 1st place plays .500 baseball. There's not a great chance that happens, but you are still in it, even if that isn't technically competitive. Anything closer to that makes you more and more competitive. At some point in time, being competitive just doesn't cut it anymore.

I mean, the Twins sucked one year and hit paydirt with Joe freakin Mauer; it happens.

They didn't exactly suck one year and just luck into Joe Mauer. From 1993 to 2000, an 8 year stretch and the better part of a decade, the Twins...

-never finished higher than 4th place in the AL Central

-lost 88 or more games in 6 of the 8 years (and were on their way to losing 86 games in 1994)

-lost 90 or more games 5 of the 8 years

-lost 92 or more games 4 straight years, from 97-00

The Twins were not a very good organization and were constantly accumulating talent through their high draft picks and trades (and still actually have Nick Punto indirectly as apart of the Chuck Knoblauch deal which happened in 1998).

And it wasn't as if they didn't go without flak for taking Joe Mauer. Mark Prior looked like an all-world pitcher, and there were people who criticized the Mauer draft choice and said it was the Twins taking the cheap road again. That would, today, be compared to the Nationals passing on Stephen Strasburg.

That being said, I think Walk has to go. Like he said in that recent interview, the pressure is always on our batters; I feel nervous everytime somebody is up to bat, and that sucks. We need some carefree, fun hitting coach to make these men play like kids again.

Playing like kids again isn't going to get them to suddenly become miraculous hitters. Greg Walker has been credited with helping turn Joe Crede into an all-star caliber hitter (albeit, for 5 months, and then his back gave out). Further, if you want to look at before and afters, he has helped Jermaine Dye, Carlos Quentin, Scott Podsednik, Aaron Rowand, and I'm sure more can be found. I'm not a fan of Greg Walker, but he can't help that he's given Mark Kotsay as a starting DH or Juan Pierre as his everyday leadoff hitter. The fact of the matter is, the pure talent level of this offense is mediocre, and Walker is not at fault for that.

The pitching is awesome. Also, Adrian Gonzalez would be really nice not only for his bat, but to get every Mexican kid in Chicago wanting to come to the ballpark, and maybe we could make a big dent in the cubs strangle hold over the city. To sum up, we are making huge strides. I want Alexei gone too, but I'm done ramblin mannin it now :gosoxretro:

Everything comes at a price. Adrian Gonzalez's will be monstrous if he is put onto the market, and there are several teams that will be able to outbid the White Sox. At some point in time, you have to either consider whether mortgaging part or all of your future is right for the current roster, and losing Dan Hudson, Tyler Flowers, and Jordan Danks might not be good for the long-term state of the franchise, considering Pierzynski is a free agent and getting older, Freddy Garcia is only signed through this year and is not that great, and that the White Sox outfield situation is anything but settled in the near future. Beyond that, you'd likely have to include even more beyond that.

Alexei is also a league average shortstop, and that's not easy production to replace. It's also possible that something clicks for him and he turns into the offensive player he was in 2008 and becomes a solid 20 homer, .800 OPS bat at SS. I don't personally envision it happening, but it might. The Sox don't exactly have capable replacements either, what with Omar Vizquel, Robert Hudson, Greg Paiml, and Justin Fuller being the only other players within the Sox organization listed as a shortstop. It's Alexei or bust, so get used to seeing him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
First of all, it isn't enough to be competitive through July/August. I do remember the old adage that KW put the best team on the field (I think Hawk said this every year we didn't win the division), but at some point, I think we need to be realists and realize maybe, in fact, we didn't have the better team and maybe that's why we didn't win. In 2003/2004 (when we finished nine games/four games out of first place, respectively) I also agreed with Hawk that KW put the best team out there, and it just didn't happen. But I have realized that was just a poor excuse. It really was KW not putting a better team out there, and really with the payroll we have had compared to our division rivals, there is no reason we shouldn't have won more than two divisions in KW's reign. We also said the "best prospects" thing in 2000. And where did those guys end up? Well, the two best probably are kicking our butt in the Twins bullpen, but clearly they didn't pan out quite like the experts thought. We don't have a top-50-type prospect, rather three or four 50- to 100- range prospects. I am just sick of the same excuses that KW has done all he can because clearly he hasn't built the best team.

Garland and Buehrle (some were including him at #8-10 on the prospects list then, I THINK) legitimiately have turned out much better than Rauch/Guerrier. Guerrier was more 2001/2002.

Fogg and Bradford made major contributions to rosters, Rocky Biddle as well.

Wright/Ginter/Barcelo/Stumm, not so much.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
Garland and Buehrle (some were including him at #8-10 on the prospects list then, I THINK) legitimiately have turned out much better than Rauch/Guerrier. Guerrier was more 2001/2002.

Fogg and Bradford made major contributions to rosters, Rocky Biddle as well.

Wright/Ginter/Barcelo/Stumm, not so much.

Off my memory of the 2000 BA Handbook which is pretty good since I actually still take a look at it, I know both Garland/Buehrle were not considered rookies for the 2001 season and thus not eligible for the 2000 Prospect Book. You're probably right though about Guerrier being a bit later.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Doesn't that include about 20 other teams in the league though too? I mean, at that point in the season, there really are only about 5 teams that have no significant statistical chance of making it, and then another 5 that are still within some type of level that has been accomplished before (say, 12 games back), but still leaves them with virtually no chance barring something miraculous. I mean, if you are 8 games back with 60 to play, you can go 38-22 and tie for a division title if the team in 1st place plays .500 baseball. There's not a great chance that happens, but you are still in it, even if that isn't technically competitive. Anything closer to that makes you more and more competitive. At some point in time, being competitive just doesn't cut it anymore.

They didn't exactly suck one year and just luck into Joe Mauer. From 1993 to 2000, an 8 year stretch and the better part of a decade, the Twins...

-never finished higher than 4th place in the AL Central

-lost 88 or more games in 6 of the 8 years (and were on their way to losing 86 games in 1994)

-lost 90 or more games 5 of the 8 years

-lost 92 or more games 4 straight years, from 97-00

The Twins were not a very good organization and were constantly accumulating talent through their high draft picks and trades (and still actually have Nick Punto indirectly as apart of the Chuck Knoblauch deal which happened in 1998).

And it wasn't as if they didn't go without flak for taking Joe Mauer. Mark Prior looked like an all-world pitcher, and there were people who criticized the Mauer draft choice and said it was the Twins taking the cheap road again. That would, today, be compared to the Nationals passing on Stephen Strasburg.

Playing like kids again isn't going to get them to suddenly become miraculous hitters. Greg Walker has been credited with helping turn Joe Crede into an all-star caliber hitter (albeit, for 5 months, and then his back gave out). Further, if you want to look at before and afters, he has helped Jermaine Dye, Carlos Quentin, Scott Podsednik, Aaron Rowand, and I'm sure more can be found. I'm not a fan of Greg Walker, but he can't help that he's given Mark Kotsay as a starting DH or Juan Pierre as his everyday leadoff hitter. The fact of the matter is, the pure talent level of this offense is mediocre, and Walker is not at fault for that.

Everything comes at a price. Adrian Gonzalez's will be monstrous if he is put onto the market, and there are several teams that will be able to outbid the White Sox. At some point in time, you have to either consider whether mortgaging part or all of your future is right for the current roster, and losing Dan Hudson, Tyler Flowers, and Jordan Danks might not be good for the long-term state of the franchise, considering Pierzynski is a free agent and getting older, Freddy Garcia is only signed through this year and is not that great, and that the White Sox outfield situation is anything but settled in the near future. Beyond that, you'd likely have to include even more beyond that.

Alexei is also a league average shortstop, and that's not easy production to replace. It's also possible that something clicks for him and he turns into the offensive player he was in 2008 and becomes a solid 20 homer, .800 OPS bat at SS. I don't personally envision it happening, but it might. The Sox don't exactly have capable replacements either, what with Omar Vizquel, Robert Hudson, Greg Paiml, and Justin Fuller being the only other players within the Sox organization listed as a shortstop. It's Alexei or bust, so get used to seeing him.

Or Nix/Beckham in very desperate circumstances.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
Off my memory of the 2000 BA Handbook which is pretty good since I actually still take a look at it, I know both Garland/Buehrle were not considered rookies for the 2001 season and thus not eligible for the 2000 Prospect Book. You're probably right though about Guerrier being a bit later.

Okay, I wasn't sure whether we were referring to entering 2000 or 2001.

Yes, at that point Kip Wells was the heir apparent as ace before flopping...Buehrle had emerged from his long relief role and doubts about his FB.

Entering 2001, Rauch was THE man.

Garland had his debut against the Royals that mid-summer, I remember listening to the game driving on I-35.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
Dude was talking about getting rid of Alexei. You can't count on Nix or Beckham as a full-time SS, and thus, they were not listed.

Ya, the sox don't see Becks as a long term fit there, and Nix is a better 2B defensively than a SS. Even if the sox draft a SS this up comming draft (like Colon for example) you would still have to wait 3+ years (high school or college guy in most cases) before you can plug him in. Like Wite said, unless KW is trading for a SS somewhere else (spect or MLB player) it's basically Alexei or nothing. But hey.. Brent Lillibridge is on a hot streak in AAA, so maybe something clicked!!!! :ph34r:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
I think the organization might be willing to change their idea about Beckham again if they had a new manager.

MAYBE?

Why would they? He's simply an ideal bat at 2b if he avoids this sophomore slump he's started.