4/20 games

NorthSideSox72

I know I am being stubborn, but until I see significant improvements in that K rate (28% k-rate is actually worse than last year) I cannot take him seriously as an offensive player. Yes, I understand that I will be ridiculued by overlooking his extra-base hits, great average thus far, ability to walk and stolen bases, but I do not have faith he can do any of that at the major league level with such a poor contact rate. Flame away.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
I know I am being stubborn, but until I see significant improvements in that K rate (28% k rate is not improvement in my books) I cannot take him seriously as an offensive player. Yes, I understand that I will be ridiculued by overlooking his extra-base hits, great average thus far, ability to walk and stolen bases, but I do not have faith he can do any of that at the major league level with such a poor contact rate. Flame away.

Its definitely worrisome. You'd hope he could be something akin to Sizemore, in that he can hit a bit, run, field his position very well, but still K a lot.

As a comparison, Sizemore had 72 K in 418 AB in his AAA year, for a 17% rate. So Danks is well above that.

I know I am being stubborn, but until I see significant improvements in that K rate (28% k-rate is actually worse than last year) I cannot take him seriously as an offensive player. Yes, I understand that I will be ridiculued by overlooking his extra-base hits, great average thus far, ability to walk and stolen bases, but I do not have faith he can do any of that at the major league level with such a poor contact rate. Flame away.

Totally agree, I just think of Chris Young. He has lots of potential, and is a very exciting player to have coming up, but he will struggle mightily at the ML level if he doesnt cut down on strikeouts.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)

It depends what you're expecting from him. Players can have success with that kind of K% but his upside may be something along the lines of .260/.340/.420.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
It depends what you're expecting from him. Players can have success with that kind of K% but his upside may be something along the lines of .260/.340/.420.

What players have been successful major league starters who were K'ing at a 25%+ rate in AAA?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
Its definitely worrisome. You'd hope he could be something akin to Sizemore, in that he can hit a bit, run, field his position very well, but still K a lot.

As a comparison, Sizemore had 72 K in 418 AB in his AAA year, for a 17% rate. So Danks is well above that.

I am sure sabermetric guys can tell you what a AAA K-rate would likely translate to in the Majors, but just in my own guestimate, that would be close to 33% or 200 strikeouts in a 600-at-bat season. That clearly is horrible. I have always thought of him as a Grady Sizemore-lite player b/c Danks has a similar skill set, but much less power and less speed. I know the Sox won't do it, but I think trading him would be the best course of action. Obviously that would probably be detrimental in trying to sign John long-term, but I just cannot see Danks being more than an average offensive talent. I really hope I am proven wrong because he brings the athleticism that we need. But people are going to get frustrated very easily with him when he Ks with a runner on second with no outs or Ks with a runner on third and less than two outs.

I think that's fair. If AAA pitchers strike him out 28% of the time, then major league pitchers might eat him alive.

I still believe the source of the problem is him pulling his head off the ball during his swing. If so, then I'm more encouraged than if it was a problem judging balls and strikes... or having a big loopy swing. I think good coaching can help him address it. And Chris Chambliss is an ideal guy to be working with him.

Edited by scenario

Just did some quick math of big strikeout hitters first year in AAA and first extended action in the Majors comparing the K-rates.

Player (AAA K-rate/MLB K-rate)

Ryan Howard (31.5%/32.1%)

Mark Reynolds (24%/35.2%)

Adam Dunn (24.3%/30.3%)

Grady Sizemore (17.2%/24.6%)

Curtis Granderson (29%/26.5%)

Joe Borchard (31.7%/28.3%)

Jack Cust (23%/26.6%)

Everyone's K-rate went up except Borchard and Granderson. Borchard though had two season at the MLB level that gave him like 60 at-bats and 70 at-bats, so I didn't include those because the sample size I didn't deem big enough. Together, they aveage an increase of 3.4% at the major league level. Maybe Danks could pull a Granderson and cut his K-rate at the MLB level, but I am guessing he would fall more in line with the rest.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Just did some quick math of big strikeout hitters first year in AAA and first extended action in the Majors comparing the K-rates.

Player (AAA K-rate/MLB K-rate)

Ryan Howard (31.5%/32.1%)

Mark Reynolds (24%/35.2%)

Adam Dunn (24.3%/30.3%)

Grady Sizemore (17.2%/24.6%)

Curtis Granderson (29%/26.5%)

Joe Borchard (31.7%/28.3%)

Jack Cust (23%/26.6%)

Everyone's K-rate went up except Borchard and Granderson. Borchard though had two season at the MLB level that gave him like 60 at-bats and 70 at-bats, so I didn't include those because the sample size I didn't deem big enough. Together, they aveage an increase of 3.4% at the major league level. Maybe Danks could pull a Granderson and cut his K-rate at the MLB level, but I am guessing he would fall more in line with the rest.

The problem is, which of those players does Danks have as much power as? Sizemore maybe? Sizemore owns him in contact rate so that doesn't really apply. I have a FutureSox post a few touches away from being posted on this subject. You and I agree.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Charlotte lost 11-0. Nothing but ugly in that game for the Knights.

And since Durham is the Rays AAA team, let's hope it's not a foreshadowing of the next few days for the big clubs.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
The problem is, which of those players does Danks have as much power as? Sizemore maybe? Sizemore owns him in contact rate so that doesn't really apply. I have a FutureSox post a few touches away from being posted on this subject. You and I agree.

Exactly. Until Danks develops 30 HR power, or something outstanding about his offensive game, there is no reason to believe that his K rate won't kill him at the major league level. You can deal with the Ks when you are getting a HR every 12 ABs or so. I can't see it working otherwise.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
The problem is, which of those players does Danks have as much power as? Sizemore maybe? Sizemore owns him in contact rate so that doesn't really apply.

Theres your key. If Danks was hitting 25+ homers at the MLB (even hitting at the cell might not help) that would help off-set his K's not to mention his good walk rate. But he so far has not shown his only thing development wise scouts were worried about. Viciedo will be fine as far as K rate since he will hit for power. I just don't see that from Danks unless he starts K'ing less, or hitting for more power, or even more contact. Now.. if he's walking at a 80+ clip that could help with his OBP, but I don't see that either from him.

Edited by SoxAce