Edinson Volquez suspended 50 games

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
So the Reds literally GAIN about $140k from this suspension? They don't lose any starts from him, and they save a little bit of money. That's f***ed up.

I don't know whether or not it's similar to the NFL, but teams as well as players get fined for the suspensions in the NFL (the Steelers were/are set to get fined like $200k for Roethlisberger). Teams in the MLB may get fined, but either way it's a rather incremental amount considering most baseball teams are with hundreds of millions of dollars, and some are even in the billions. For comparison's sake, it's essentially the same as someone saving $1.40 when making $40,000 a year. At the end of the day, whoopdees***.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
I'd assume that his suspension begins once he clears the DL.

No it begins immediately, atleast according to rotoworld. Even if it didn't the Reds could activate him and his suspension will play out through the duration of his injury time, and they can use another player from their minor league system (or in this case, another player already on the MLB roster) as his "replacement"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
No it begins immediately, atleast according to rotoworld. Even if it didn't the Reds could activate him and his suspension will play out through the duration of his injury time, and they can use another player from their minor league system (or in this case, another player already on the MLB roster) as his "replacement"

That is lame, the rule should be changed.

And even if the Reds activated him, he'd take up a spot on the 25-man roster, so the penalty is still there. This allowing them to serve the suspension on the DL is just stupid.

Volquez said in a statement he received a prescription in the Dominican Republic as part of his treatment to start a family with his wife. He said the drug was banned by MLB - four types of fertility substances are illegal under baseball rules.

"As a result, I tested positive when I reported to spring training,'' he said. "Although I understand that I must accept responsibility for this mistake and have chosen not to challenge my suspension, I want to assure everyone that this was an isolated incident involving my genuine effort to treat a common medical issue.''

The Manny excuse, eh?

Foxsports