4/21 games

NorthSideSox72

Some early starts today...

Charlotte @ Durham, 12:05pm CT, no starter announced yet but looks like probably Zaleski's turn

Jacksonville @ Birmingham, 10:05am CT, Shirek (1-0, 0.00) starting

Winston-Salem @ Myrtle Beach, 6:05pm CT, Leesman (1-1, 2.25) starting

Kanny @ Rome, 12:00pm CT, Cameron Bayne (1-1, 5.91) starting

Edited by scenario

Shirek has been pitching very well. 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's.

Gave up his first earned run of the season, 0.47 ERA and .169 BAA.

Sanchez? Maybe he's this year's Maurice Gartrell? Psuedo-prospect who never really gets a shot with the White Sox...2/3, RBI, .393 BA. Turns 25 at the end of the season....didn't Ozzie say something positive about him before?

I think he had a homer in one of the ST games I followed, but maybe I was imagining things!

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Sanchez has certainly gotten hot over the last few games. Wonder why Shelby isn't playing today.

He has been promoted to take Kotsay's spot?

Joking..

This just in, Mabee sucks. Trying to jeopardize Shirek's win with multiple walks.

Tied 2-2, three walks in one inning trying to hold the one run lead. Miguel Asencio-esque.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
Shirek has been pitching very well. 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's.

Gave up his first earned run of the season, 0.47 ERA and .169 BAA.

Sanchez? Maybe he's this year's Maurice Gartrell? Psuedo-prospect who never really gets a shot with the White Sox...2/3, RBI, .393 BA. Turns 25 at the end of the season....didn't Ozzie say something positive about him before?

I think he had a homer in one of the ST games I followed, but maybe I was imagining things!

Plus a damn good 14 GO/2 FO.

Josh Kroeger leading Kotsay in jacks 2-1.

Eventually, he might be the replacement.

Danks with a strange line, R, RBI, BB. That'll work.

Gartrell 3/3, threatening to replace Juan Pierre.

Joking again...and Brent Lillibridge sporting 765 OPS so far.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Is it fair to say that Shirek and Santeliz have the best "potential" to make contributions to the Sox this season?

Along with Threets as the LHR?

I don't see either Santeliz or Shirek contributing this year. I'd peg them both as 2011. Where would either fit in? Hudson is more ready for starting, and there are better candidates as long relievers in AAA.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
Okay....rephrase:

Who has the best potential to be still holding a roster spot with the White Sox in 2015 of our AA/AAA pitchers?

2015 is a long time in KW world. Most likely, few if any would be. Best guesses are Hudson (who the Sox see as a top of the rotation guy), and Shirek is a Sox pitcher type (high velocity, good control, high GO rates good for the Cell). But its awfully tough to say, with KW's wheeling and dealing.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
No, I know that. He's not playing above Kanny this year. I think he started this season in extended spring training in prep for a short-season team. I hope that's been scrapped, and he's staying in Kannapolis.

Considering he was moved up for a non-outfield injury I think they just moved him up because he was progressing and doing well this spring.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Considering he was moved up for a non-outfield injury I think they just moved him up because he was progressing and doing well this spring.

It really would be something if he continues to hit well and forces a callup to High-A this season. I know 1 thing for sure, Thompson/Mitchell would be fun to watch progress next season.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
It really would be something if he continues to hit well and forces a callup to High-A this season. I know 1 thing for sure, Thompson/Mitchell would be fun to watch progress next season.

It's always fun to watch a prospect really work hard and improve from one year to the next. Thompson looked like crap last year in Bristol, he had terrible contact rates, a K % around 33 i think and no power numbers to boot. Now all of a sudden he's really swinging the bat well. I suppose the scouts know what they're doing sometimes (although it's too early to crown him the next big thing just yet)

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)

God knows we need a serious influx of premium talent before, I don't know, 2015.

Winston-Salem tears it up again, won 11-4, and have won 8 straight games (currently 10-3 on the season). Leesman looked meh, relievers looked good. Short, Escobar, Gilmore, Loman, Bour and Sierra all with multi-hit games. In three games since being signed, Bour has a .545/.643/1.000/1.643 line. W-S is hitting .297 as a team, and lead their league in virtually every category offensively. And their pitchers have a 2.65 ERA thus far.

That team is good.

It would be nice if Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez are for real.

Death of a Salesman promotion, anyone? All salesmen/account reps get in free to see Loman play...haha.

It would also be nice if Escobar wasn't at least three years away from replacing Ramirez and could put up a 775 OPS. But, from all reports, he's a special or "plus" defender, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
It would be nice if Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez are for real.

Death of a Salesman promotion, anyone? All salesmen/account reps get in free to see Loman play...haha.

It would also be nice if Escobar wasn't at least three years away from replacing Ramirez and could put up a 775 OPS. But, from all reports, he's a special or "plus" defender, right?

Escobar is indeed noted for his defensive skills. The question is his bat.