Have you ever gone to a game by yourself?

dmbjeff

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
I split a full season ticket package with a handful of people. The guy who has tonight's game might not be able to go. If the ticket is available, it's yours and you can just pay for parking on your own. Better yet, depending where you live, just park near a red or green line stop that is just one or two stops from the park. Parking is much cheaper and getting out of Chinatown or museum campus area can be easier than Sox park. I sent him an email and will let you know what I hear.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

I just forwarded one ticket to the thread starter. I know he was contemplating the experience of going alone, but I actually had two unused tickets to tonight's game. If anyone is interested in meeting a fellow Soxtalker, I will give the other ticket to the first poster to PM me. Note there is a $2 email charge from the Sox but otherwise the ticket is free. Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like I can not forward tickets this close to game time (less than 2 hours). My ticket rep can authorize a reprint of the tickets to be picked up at The Cell but the reprint charge is $5 rather than the $2 email charge. Offer still stands, though, but let me know ASAP so I can provide the ticket agent with all the required details.

Edited by Pants Rowland

Last year I saw a listing on Craigslist for a single ticket during the weekend for a front row sec 119 White Sox v Yankees game for face value. I had no problem going alone to that one, I actually talked with the three ladies that sold it to me the whole time. It was fun. They ended up calling me later in the season for the same awesome seat too.

This was a neat thread. Did anybody take Pants up on his offer to go to the game? Generous offer.

I loved the Hagler-Leonard story and the one above. Proves going alone can work out. Sitting with those ladies sounded like a good time.

I've never gone to a game alone. I have gone to matinee movies alone if I'm getting an oil change or something and the place is crowded there's a theatre across the street. Figure why waste the time and go to a movie.

I go to Mass alone on Sunday nights and don't sit on the side but get in a row up near the front.

It's kind of cool to assess the experience each week. Some weeks people talk to me and have on subsequent weeks invited me into their row to sit with them, etc.

Other weeks not much interaction. It's interesting to say the least to see the reaction to you when you go somewhere alone.

One thing I could never do is go to a sitdown restaurant alone. I'd feel creepy.

I liked reading this thread.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
I'm actually in the south burbs now, so I'll have to drive in.

dude i hope you did take your pants off because that would have been a lot more interesting than that game

Home from the game. Thanks against to Pants for the ticket. Very,very cool gesture and I will have to pay it forward in the future somehow. Unfortunately in my 26 years of going to games in person, this was by far and away the worst performance I have ever seen. I know hitting comes in hot and cold streaks, but this cold streak for nearly every batter is getting painful to watch firsthand. Very few guys are making solid contact, which makes it even tougher to swallow. JP had 2 hits which were very JP style, so hopefully he is coming around. Alex Rios seemed to have alot of good AB's. Everyone else is just scuffling so bad, but they will all come around, that's what's great about baseball.

Going alone was fine, I was able to chat with a guy around me, he asked me if the Andruw Jones was the Braves Andruw Jones. LOL. To anyone going to the game alone, do it. It was fine and as long as you are seated near some fellow Sox fans who are into the game, it will be fun.

Go, and then sit back, relax, and strap it down. You won't be alone - you will be with a bunch of fellow Sox fans. Yes there are a few antisocial ones out there, but most fans enjoy talking to other knowledgeable Sox fans and welcome the camaraderie. If you can't strike up a good conversation about the Sox while you're at the ballpark with other fans, you'll never be able to do so.

Last year I went to a game by myself and was able to get the tickets that I really wanted (against Baltimore last year) by sitting ten rows behind home plate. It was interesting to see a game that close, and I doubt that I would have gotten tickets that close if I had gone with someone else. (Since most of my friends are in college and don't have money for $50 seats.) It kind of sucked not knowing anyone but it just so turned out that someone next to me was from around the area, in college and didn't have anyone to go with. Nice kid, just a bit weird how he told me about his girlfriend and where he worked while going to school.

Oh well. All in all I believe it is socially acceptable and that it takes balls to go somewhere by yourself, i.e. a movie or a baseball game.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
I actually took a lot of crap from people for telling them that i went to see a movie alone. Never quite understood that one either.

Yeah it's really no big deal. Although I actually felt like a 40 year old virgin when I went to see that alone. :D