Carlos Quentin's Swing

joeynach

Just from watching the last few games on TV, is it just me, or does Quentin's swing look exceeding loopy and long. I know hes struggling right now, defiantly looks like hes trying to lift and pull a lot and in the end has been hitting weak grounders and infield pop ups. But is there a mechanical problem, has anyone noticed anything. When i see him swing (and miss) his swing looks so long. Not only does he have this hitch, or clutch going on, but then u see the bat get way out there and wrap all the way around in what seems a long and slow motion. It just doesnt look good. But has anyone else noticed this, or am I just seeing things?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
He's extremely home run happy. When you have the power he has, you don't need to be looking for home runs every time up.
Why do year in and year out our hitters do this? Players come and go but this problem fo trying to kill the ball instead of making contact and using the whole field is there every season. I'm told that Greg Walkier has nothing to do with it, and that he's reofly a good hitting coach.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Why do year in and year out our hitters do this? Players come and go but this problem fo trying to kill the ball instead of making contact and using the whole field is there every season. I'm told that Greg Walkier has nothing to do with it, and that he's reofly a good hitting coach.

Maybe it's because the hitters don't listen to Walker and just do whatever the hell they want. Who knows.

It could be because they feel that the team we are fielding doesn't have the ability to manufacture runs and are desperate. Though, that argument is kind of circular.

Its the same reason that Alexei thinks he should pull every righties slider....terrible approach. They are professional players that have loads and loads of talent that have never had to make an adjustment to get to where they are and are afraid to make a change

QUOTE (soreal35 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
Its the same reason that Alexei thinks he should pull every righties slider....terrible approach. They are professional players that have loads and loads of talent that have never had to make an adjustment to get to where they are and are afraid to make a change

Every single one of those players has had to make an adjustment to their game at some point in time to get and remain where they are. If they didn't, they'd end up out of baseball faster than Mike Caruso.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
Every single one of those players has had to make an adjustment to their game at some point in time to get and remain where they are. If they didn't, they'd end up out of baseball faster than Mike Caruso.

Ha ha and they are hitting about as good as mike Caruso right now...might wanna take a flier on him right now

The ball park itself may have something to do with it.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
What? I was talking about the Amazon river.

When carlos was hitting in 08 I thought his controllable short swing was great for knocking in runs. It wasn't just the hope runs it was the easy singles and doubles. He seemed to have that short quick swing. He seemed to hit the ball where the opposing team wasn't playing him. Why can't he do that now? Was his eyes or timing that much better then?