Lack Of Preparation

Lillian

Many of us have remarked how poorly the Sox do against pitchers whom they're facing for the first time.

In addition, Sox offenses have rarely demonstrated an ability to approach any pitcher, familiar or unfamiliar, with a good game plan.

The way the Rays came into tonight's game with a very sound game plan against Buehrle, is just the kind of thing to which I'm alluding.

Their right handed hitters took away that outside pitch by going the other way. The absence of any similar kind of sound preparation to face either an unfamiliar pitcher, or to just have a game plan, suggests to me that Sox teams are not as prepared as they should be.

I just don't see other teams demonstrating the same consistent lack of preparation. Why is it that other teams don't struggle against any pitcher whom they have never seen?

Many of us have often b****ed our players don't whack hits the other way. We lift and pull. Don't think it has much to do with preparation.

It is nice to watch other teams play baseball sometimes. Lots of batters use the whole field, kind of like Juan did when he finally stroked that single to left.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
15 games played.

147 left.

15 games played

6 games back

The 2010 White Sox have been a special kind of awful so far, and ultimately look like they will continue 2009's mandate of being just good enough to be mediocre. It isn't too early to be up in arms about this kind of failure - this started last year.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
15 games played

6 games back

The 2010 White Sox have been a special kind of awful so far, and ultimately look like they will continue 2009's mandate of being just good enough to be mediocre. It isn't too early to be up in arms about this kind of failure - this started last year.

I agree. There's a big difference between taking a dump on the rest of the season and realizing that they can't dig themselves too big a hole. Forget about the wildcard. That's coming from the AL east. We HAVE to win the division. And the Twins are looking to make that extremely difficult. I said before the season if Liriano is really "back" that we were in deep s***.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
I said before the season if Liriano is really "back" that we were in deep s***.

Not to mention I was the poster who predicted/knew he was going to be back looking at his reports from scouts in winter ball. Said it here and here and a couple more times back in December. Wite knows as he kept telling me I was wrong and so far (though still early of course as I'll reserve FULL judgment until about August, not to mention more teams other than us, Boston and Cleveland) it looks like I'm right. Caught a game he threw, and he looks very nasty, though I don't think he will ever K guys like he used to, but more-so a high GB:FO ratio which he is putting up so far.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
I agree. There's a big difference between taking a dump on the rest of the season and realizing that they can't dig themselves too big a hole. Forget about the wildcard. That's coming from the AL east. We HAVE to win the division. And the Twins are looking to make that extremely difficult. I said before the season if Liriano is really "back" that we were in deep s***.

yes I agree and if the twinkies continue on a .733 pace and win 118 games then they certainly deserve it.

I hope these guys take what Ozzie said tonight to heart - just go out and have fun instead of each one of them trying to put the team on their back and carry it. What the hell, can it possibly get any worse? They were pretty f'n cocky coming out of Glendale and they got their asses kicked. Lets see what they're made of.

The Cubs hired Rudy Jaramillo. Boy are they whacking the ball around. The bottom line is you have to have the personnel to do the things you are asking. The White Sox roster in the past wasn't capable or it would have been silly to ask some of their sluggers to go the other way. This year's team, most will admit, is short offensively. They still score via the homer, but they just don't hit as many.

I don't think there is one person on this board that would have thought the Sox wouldn't go through a stretch of 15 games when they only won 5. Everyone always uses 2005 as a measuring stick. That team lost 14 games in the standings at one point. That said, I think there is plenty of reason to be concerned. The pitching staff isn't going to have a 2.98 ERA. KW better get some offense somewhere, somehow.

This is a team that has had Kotsay hit 3rd and Omar Vizquel lead off. Blame the hitting coach all you want, but the blame is misdirected. This is the American League, not the American Association. The sooner White Sox brass realizes they need more offensive talent the better.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 06:08 AM)
The Cubs hired Rudy Jaramillo. Boy are they whacking the ball around. The bottom line is you have to have the personnel to do the things you are asking. The White Sox roster in the past wasn't capable or it would have been silly to ask some of their sluggers to go the other way. This year's team, most will admit, is short offensively. They still score via the homer, but they just don't hit as many.

I don't think there is one person on this board that would have thought the Sox wouldn't go through a stretch of 15 games when they only won 5. Everyone always uses 2005 as a measuring stick. That team lost 14 games in the standings at one point. That said, I think there is plenty of reason to be concerned. The pitching staff isn't going to have a 2.98 ERA. KW better get some offense somewhere, somehow.

This is a team that has had Kotsay hit 3rd and Omar Vizquel lead off. Blame the hitting coach all you want, but the blame is misdirected. This is the American League, not the American Association. The sooner White Sox brass realizes they need more offensive talent the better.

Which offensive performance do you think is the most disappointing/surprising/unexpected to KW?

A) Kotsay

B) AJ

C) Ramirez

D) Beckham

E) Quentin

F) Pierre

I guess I'll go with AJ and Pierre in a tie. With Beckham pulling in at a close 3rd place.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Which offensive performance do you think is the most disappointing/surprising/unexpected to KW?

A) Kotsay

B) AJ

C) Ramirez

D) Beckham

E) Quentin

F) Pierre

I guess I'll go with AJ and Pierre in a tie. With Beckham pulling in at a close 3rd place.

That entire list minus Kotsay. We all knew he'd be average at best.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
Many of us have remarked how poorly the Sox do against pitchers whom they're facing for the first time.

In addition, Sox offenses have rarely demonstrated an ability to approach any pitcher, familiar or unfamiliar, with a good game plan.

The way the Rays came into tonight's game with a very sound game plan against Buehrle, is just the kind of thing to which I'm alluding.

Their right handed hitters took away that outside pitch by going the other way. The absence of any similar kind of sound preparation to face either an unfamiliar pitcher, or to just have a game plan, suggests to me that Sox teams are not as prepared as they should be.

I just don't see other teams demonstrating the same consistent lack of preparation. Why is it that other teams don't struggle against any pitcher whom they have never seen?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
I really wish some people would realize there is baseball outside of the White Sox. THEY ARE NOT the only team in baseball that struggles against pitchers they see for the first time.

Mitch Talbot just shut down the Twins, too. Six innings, 2 H, 0 ER.