4/22 GT: Rays vs. White Sox. 7:10 PM Central Time, CSN+2, WSCR 670

SoxAce

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)
Jake's velocity is up, he's thrown some nasty sliders....he just doesn't have his command tonight. It looks much less like nibbling to me than just not having a feel for the ball. A guy doesn't put up the numbers he has over the course of his career by nibbling, he busts out dominant stuff. If his stuff is inconsistent, as it is tonight, he's going to struggle. I can't believe y'all are so dismissive of a guy with a hell of a track record. What I'm seeing tonight has absolutely nothing to do with what league he's in, an injury, or confidence...he simply has not found his groove yet. Toronto was obviously his post-spring dead arm period and now he's working on getting everything back in synch.

We're not paying this guy 16 million dollars, and gave up good players, to wait a month for him to figure it the f*** out.

Edited by jphat007

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)
His track record was in the NL in a mediocre division in the greatest pitcher's park ever invented. His numbers could be a lot worse this year, as there have been a ton of hard hit balls against him right at people.

If you believe a guy with as nasty of a slider as Peavy has coupled with a 95MPH heater with movement got by on nothing but a big ballpark and weak division, eh, I can't convince you otherwise. Seems you're stretching to have his performance fit your narrative, imo.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
My bad for not flipping s*** about our former Cy Young pitcher, and one of the aces of the league having a rough start to the season. 4 starts down, 30+ to go. I'm not going to freak out and start wishing we never traded for him or say he is awful and can't pitch in the AL. Call me levelheaded I guess.

He is not an ace.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
I....guess you can maybe get a hernia from standing on a ledge, but that's not a very good way to make your point. Please try again.

Two different statements. Like "stop freaking out" before you "stress out and injury yourself".

But I can tell you are clearly frustrated and on edge right now.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:33 AM)
If you believe a guy with as nasty of a slider as Peavy has coupled with a 95MPH heater with movement got by on nothing but a big ballpark and weak division, eh, I can't convince you otherwise. Seems you're stretching to have his performance fit your narrative, imo.

His slider is very average so far, and to say he throws 95 mph is like saying Jenks throw 96 mph now. They might peak at that, but the average fastball is a very mph slower and I haven't seen any movement at all on the fastball. And no I'm not stretching it, go back and view my posts around the first trade last year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
His slider is very average so far. And no I'm not stretching it, go back and view my posts around the first trade last year.

In 4 starts..... what about all those years in San Diego, did he have an average slider then? Was it the seats behind home plate at Petco that made his slider look like one of the best in the league?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 01:33 AM)

Peavy is a good pither in a funk. Buerhle has been in flunks too and is also in a mni one now. They can pull out of it but I want it to be NOW!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Oh he's not? I must be mixing him up with the former Padre's pitcher who won the Cy Young in 2007, and has been very, very solid over his career.

He used to be an Ace. Sure. He isn't anymore.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:35 AM)
In 4 starts..... what about all those years in San Diego, did he have an average slider then? Was it the seats behind home plate at Petco that made his slider look like one of the best in the league?

No, but NL hitters will make a lot of pitchers look a lot better than they are. What about all the scouts worried in the Spring about how much his stuff had seemingly deteriorated. Very few pitchers can throw as many sliders as he did for so many years in their 20s without losing their stuff quickly. Smoltz is basically an anomaly, and that's only cause he went to the bullpen.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
Peavy is a good pither in a funk. Buerhle has been in flunks too and is also in a mni one now. They can pull out of it but I want it to be NOW!

That's one of the things about having an offense that puts this much pressure on the pitching staff...it just doesn't allow time for a guy to have a few bad starts to figure it out. Don't get me wrong, Jake has been a huge disappointment thus far, but I'm with you, it's just a funk. I'd make that trade again tomorrow if I were KW.