Boxing fans?

Hey, havent been around here much lately. Are there many boxing fans here? I've really gotten into boxing in the past 2 years and have enjoyed a lot of great fights. I'd love to discuss the sport if there are others interested and follow it closely.

Also, if anyone has EsPN insider and would not mind sharing the following it would be greatly appreciated. ESPN put out their own pound-for-pound rankings by Dan Rafael and only the top 3 can be seen without Insider. Can the link be copied here? If not, could it be sent in a PM?

I used to be, but not so much anymore. I grew up in the 70's when the sport was huge, and fighters seemed to have personalities (love 'em or hate 'em) to match their skills. The heavyweight division has always driven my interest in other classes, and that's been absolutely dead of late. Plus, as much as I hated him, I have to admit that I miss the "Golden Boy," as I always enjoyed watching his fights, hoping that someone would pound the smile off his face.

I'll never forget watching the 1990 Chavez-Taylor fight at an outdoor bar in Cancun. Taylor had his way with Chavez almost all night, until Richard Steele called the fight for Chavez with just two seconds to go. The natives went absolutely insane in their celebrations. Being in the middle of that was surreal. Oddly enough, the roommate of one of my friends on that trip is now married to the guy who runs Roy Jones, Jr.'s Square Ring productions.

Sorry I can't add much of substance to your thread, but I'll probably lurk here a lot if it catches on.

I followed boxing as much as the next guy from the late Ali days to Leonard-Hearns-Hagler to Boom boom Mancini and the Mike Tyson, but dropped interest before Holyfield and Lennox Lewis were in their prime. Just the last few years I've picked up interest again and now can't get enough. I've found the smaller guys provide much more exciting fights and I don't need the heavyweight division to keep me interested.

Right now the lightweight, light welterweight and welterweight classes have some amazing fighters and provide great fights throughout the top 10-15 in each division, not just the Pacquaio - Mayweather - Mosely group. I've also found the Super Middleweight Super Six tournament on Showtime to be quite entertaining, with some quality young Americans in Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell.

Lastly, if anyone would ever want to watch some unbelievable fights, check out these two trilogies. Arturo Gatti - Mickey Ward (they made Rocky movies seem realistic) and Rafael Marquez - Isreal Vazquez. Marquez and Vazquez will fight for the 4th time in the next month or so and their 2nd and 3rd fights both won Fight of the Year awards. Those two are simply made for each other and put on amazing displays with non-stop action from beginning to end. Check them out!

Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler on Showtime tonight should be a pretty good fight. I'm not a big fan of Froch or his style, but he's undefeated. I think Kessler wins tonight though. If Kessler wins, it means 5 of the 6 fighters in the Super Six tournament will have one loss. Coming into the tournament, Kessler and Arthur Abraham were the odds on favorites.

For those that aren't familiar with it, Showtime put together a tournmant with six of the top Super Middleweights in the world. It's a round robin style tournament with the top 4 fighters moving on to semifinals and ultimately the final. The tournament will take 2 years to complete and the winner will have to fight 5 times against world class competition. It's a pretty unique event. Tonight is the 2nd of three fights in the second round. New favorite Andre Ward (the last US Olympic gold medal winner) will fight Allen Green (a replacement for the injured Jermaine Taylor) in June and the 3rd round will be this fall.

Not sure about paying for the Mayweather - Mosley fight this weekend. The last two times I have bought PPV, I've gotten burned with crappy fights - see Pacquiao - Hatton and Mayweather - Marquez. I may do so, because I believe you can get a $30 mail in rebate from Tecate which would make the fight only $34.95 (HD). May see if I can find it on in a bar too. Either way, I will watch it on HBO the next week. They always replay it the next Sat night.

I hope Mosley beats him, but would not bet against Mayweather. He just seems too hard to hit. Should be a good fight though.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight on Showtime is Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez IV, a must see for any boxing fan and a fight that will give those that may not care for boxing anymore a great show. Their 2nd and 3rd fights won Fight of the Year in 2007 and 2008. All three fights have been all out slugfests from the opening bell.

These guys were made for each other, punching toe-to toe. They rarely ever clinch and fight both close and from the outside. I definitely recommend watching or recording it.

QUOTE (Real @ May 27, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLoeqT7vMIM

not sure how to tag youtube videos properly, but this is a great fan video about the (IMO) best boxer in the world right now

In your opinion? I mean, that's like saying "Albert Pujols is the best baseball player right now, IMO."

• 2 weeks later...

Victor Conte suspicious of Manny Pacquiao

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-arti...catch-cheaters/

“Most fighters open training camp about eight weeks before a fight,” Conte says. “They only way to ensure they’re really clean is to have some type of random, unannounced testing, and both blood- and urine-testing.”

If that sounds like a semi-accusatory finger being pointed at Manny Pacquiao, whose March 13 megafight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. fell apart because of Pac-Man’s incensed refusal to participate in a higher level of drug-testing than ever has been implemented in boxing, so be it.

Is it suspicious the way (Pacquiao) has gained so much lean muscle mass while retaining and even seemingly improving his power and speed? Yes,” Conte says. “It is highly suspicious. But it’s difficult to make any type of allegations against him because he’s never tested positive for illegal drugs. The problem is that he has been subjected, as is the case with all boxers, to the standard urine testing that, in my opinion, is worthless.