What's wrong with Jake Peavy?

macsandz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 06:41 AM)
I don't know where Sabathia struggling makes it OK for Peavy to blow leads in 4 games and sport a 7.66 ERA, but whatever.

Plus we don't have A Rod, Jeter, Teixiera, Granderson, etc. that can go out and score a bunch of runs to cover up for the pitching suckage either. And we don't have the ability to go out and add another $100 million when we need to like the yanks can.

So I would say that the worrying about Peavy is warranted.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/4/18...g-with-cc-sabat

Oh, wrong Cy Young winner in his first four starts of a season,...nevermind...

That was also a free-agent to be on a team that was 50-50 on making a playoff run anyway. The Sox had to be cheap when it came to adding offense this offseason, because they traded for this guy and his ginormous contract. If he doesn't start pitching better soon, its gonna be trouble.

I also wonder if Peavy still "doesn't want to be here". I still won't forget him turning down a trade to the White Sox. Yea Yea he changed his mind, but I still consider him a mercenary, a hired gun...maybe his heart isn't in it. I don't know, but the guy looks like AAA fodder at this point, from a guy who was supposedly one of the most dominant righties in baseball. What a crock...the guy is pitching worse than Carlos Silva. With the money he makes that's disgusting.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
-New league with more real hitters

-Stadium where mistakes are badly exposed

-He was never as good as many here thought

The league differential tends to be exagerrated, and even then, it doesn't explain a mid-7's ERA. And I think he was, and probably still is, that good. Just needs to find what's wrong.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
Sounds like (I didn't get to see the game) Peavy was trying some adjustments out. I suppose that's a good thing, and his increased velocity tells me its likely not an injury. But 7 walks? Yeah, that's a little scary from him or anyone.

No command, whatsoever. His stuff is still there, just cannot locate anything.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
I also wonder if Peavy still "doesn't want to be here". I still won't forget him turning down a trade to the White Sox. Yea Yea he changed his mind, but I still consider him a mercenary, a hired gun...maybe his heart isn't in it. I don't know, but the guy looks like AAA fodder at this point, from a guy who was supposedly one of the most dominant righties in baseball. What a crock...the guy is pitching worse than Carlos Silva. With the money he makes that's disgusting.

I honestly couldnt find one nugget of reality in your post.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)

Peavy is only making $2.25 million more than Silva this year...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
No command, whatsoever. His stuff is still there, just cannot locate anything.

And we have a winner. No command = fail. Doesn't matter how good of stuff you have, if you walk the world and get into hitters counts at some point you are going to pay in the AL. The minute he gets his command underneath him, he will be fine.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
And we have a winner. No command = fail. Doesn't matter how good of stuff you have, if you walk the world and get into hitters counts at some point you are going to pay in the AL. The minute he gets his command underneath him, he will be fine.

I said it last night during the game thread...

He had much better control last time around at 91-92, than he did last night at 94-96.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I said it last night during the game thread...

He had much better control last time around at 91-92, than he did last night at 94-96.

His control has been off most of the year. The name of his game is a naturally moving fastball and some excellent secondary pitches. At 91-92 he gets more movement I am sure, but he has been a guy who has had success at 94-96. I think we will see him hopefully soon, throwing 92-94 with control and that will setup his secondary pitches. He has too long of a track record of success. If he is in that 92-94 range he will have enough velocity differential between his fastball and slider and should throw most hitters off balance. Again, his control is the key. If he can attack the strikezone, he should be fine.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
anyone else been noticing the pretty clear jawing going on between AJ and Peavy? Wonder if there will be a change soon. Those guys don't seem to be on the same page at all.

I really think this is one of the major problems, he is not in sync with AJ at all, he shakes him off about every pitch. He never gets in a rhythm, the fielders are standing around, it just is a snowball effect, IMO. I see AJ's and maybe the coaching staff's side that they know the AL hitters better, but at the end of the day it's Jake making the pitches. I think they should have Lucy start his next game and basically have Jake and Lucy sit down and go over every hitter, have Jake tell him his preferences and see if they can get a flow going.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)

this may sound stupid, but IMO yesterday actually gave me hope for him, his velocity was back up, his stuff was moving, he just can't locate and I think that's going to come. as my previous post states, I think they need to address the AJ/Jake situation on the field, there's way too much time between pitches

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
Bolded statements are complete horses***.

Yep.

You can have a fluke pitcher in the NL who does alright be cause of the league. But you don't win a f***ing Cy Young because of a flukey league and ballpark.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
I really think this is one of the major problems, he is not in sync with AJ at all, he shakes him off about every pitch.

There are a few possibilities, but it would seem to me there is a lack of preperation happening here. And not to bring up old crap about AJ, but wasn't that the complaint the pitching staff in San Francisco had about him? They have to go into the game with a plan.

This isn’t going to come as stunning news to anyone who has watched him pitch, but Jake Peavy just isn’t right. After last night’s implosion, he has allowed 19 runs in 22 innings, and it’s not bad luck. He’s just pitching terribly.

He’s walked as many batters (15) as he’s struck out. His groundball rate is just 33.3%, down from his career average of 41.6 percent, but he’s not giving up more flyballs – instead, those grounders have turned into screaming line drives. Batters are making contact with 84.4 percent of the pitches he throws, and his swinging strike rate is half of what it was in his prime.

Add it all up, and you get a 5.94 xFIP, which is below replacement level. Through four trips to the mound, Peavy has pitched worse than you’d expect from waiver bait.

Unless he’s hurt (a distinct possibility, given his history), he’ll improve. Even with the transition to the American League and having to pitch in a park that favors hitters for the first time in his career, the changes in context aren’t enough to take him from good pitcher to complete bum. But how optimistic can White Sox fans be about their pseudo-ace?

His pre-season ZIPS had him posting a 3.86 FIP, and the updated rest-of-season ZIPS (which takes into account his first four games of 2010) has him projected for a 3.87 FIP. Clearly, the projection systems aren’t going to panic over a 22 inning sample. However, ZIPS doesn’t know that Peavy’s lost a couple of MPH off his fastball over the last few years or that he’s battled elbow problems the last few years.

It’s not time to panic, but there is certainly cause for concern. Command has been the hallmark of Peavy’s success in the big leagues, and a sudden inability to throw strikes can often be a sign of a more serious problem.

Given all the extra things we know, I’d take the over on that 3.87 rest of season FIP. Chicago fans should be concerned.

xFIP Name

6.42 Ryan Rowland-Smith

5.94 Jake Peavy

5.59 Fausto Carmona

5.53 Tim Wakefield

5.51 Kyle Lohse

5.47 David Huff

5.42 Jake Westbrook

5.30 John Lannan

5.23 Ben Sheets

5.21 Kyle Davies

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/t...rry-about-peavy

Well fathom, at least peavy made those four starts you were talking about...

Edited by qwerty

Since its Walker's fault that Quentin and Beckham and AJP aren't hitting, I think its fair to blame Cooper for Floyd and Garcia and Peavy all struggling.

I actually do worry something may be wrong with Peavy's elbow or shoulder. He had lost some velocity now doesn't have command trying to get the velocity up. Sometimes thats a sign that something very bad is about to happen.

Edited by Dick Allen