What's wrong with Jake Peavy?

macsandz

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
Peavy interview

He says once he learns the American League lineups, things will be fine...

I was always under the assumption that the pitcher had the edge when they haven't faced someone before. And what's with all the shaking off of AJ? Wouldn't he know the hitters in the AL pretty well?

And how come whenever we've faced a new pitcher in the last 10 years we would be lucky to get 4 or 5 hits for the night?

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
I was always under the assumption that the pitcher had the edge when they haven't faced someone before. And what's with all the shaking off of AJ? Wouldn't he know the hitters in the AL pretty well?

And how come whenever we've faced a new pitcher in the last 10 years we would be lucky to get 4 or 5 hits for the night?

Hard headed on the part of peavy. Just how i see it.

Their terrible approaches stem from terrible scouting of opposition they are not familiar with. No other case can really be made as far as i am concerned. If someone has a better explanation, i would love to hear it. This aspect you are referring to is huge in the grand scheme of things... yet it appears to be no big deal to them, much like scouting for the draft. This is far from all on the hitters. Someone higher up, as in not solely the players, is not up to snuff with the task at hand.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Hard headed on the part of peavy. Just how i see it.

Their terrible approaches stem from terrible scouting of opposition they are not familiar with. No other case can really be made as far as i am concerned. If someone has a better explanation, i would love to hear it. This aspect you are referring to is huge in the grand scheme of things... yet it appears to be no big deal to them, much like scouting for the draft. This is far from all on the hitters. Someone higher up, as in not solely the players, is not up to snuff with the task at hand.

Major League Computer Scouting Analyst MIKE GELLINGER

Start there....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
We don't have time to "develop" our young pitchers, they usually have to produce right away, simple....we're not a rebuilding organization, never have been under KW, never will be under KW, period.

Agree, but is the time that Rick Hahn takes over as GM approaching sooner than we think? If this team continues to suck wind with the Rios and Peavy contracts and fans stay away in droves, it is entirely possible that KW could get 'promoted' in the off-season much like John Paxon position change with the Bulls. At some point (soon), The Sox WILL have to rebuild. The talent void in this organization at both major league and minor league levels becomes more apparent as time goes on.

Regarding Peavy's peformance, even if he pitches his ass off and wins 12 games, it's still a bust of a deal in many ways. Heck, with this crappy offeanse, 12 wins is a stretch.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
insane. very good chance richard is not even in our rotation right now. i never wanted to watch a game where he pitched.

Oh yeah, like the game in Detroit last season when his performane salvaged the last game of a four game series to prevent us from being swept? Had he not come through at that time, the season would have been over right then.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
Agree, but is the time that Rick Hahn takes over as GM approaching sooner than we think? If this team continues to suck wind with the Rios and Peavy contracts and fans stay away in droves, it is entirely possible that KW could get 'promoted' in the off-season much like John Paxon position change with the Bulls. At some point (soon), The Sox WILL have to rebuild. The talent void in this organization at both major league and minor league levels becomes more apparent as time goes on.

Regarding Peavy's peformance, even if he pitches his ass off and wins 12 games, it's still a bust of a deal in many ways. Heck, with this crappy offeanse, 12 wins is a stretch.

I'll take the over.

Something's wrong with Peavy, and the longer we wait to find out, the more games we'll lose. As if it really matters with the Twins.

Again, how exactly does a healthy starting pitcher lose 4 mph on a fastball, find himself unable to throw a decent breaking pitch, and lose most of his control if nothing is wrong?

IMO Peavy's issues are probably not mechanical, more along the lines of psychological. Most likely things like him not feeling comfortable, at least not yet, as a Sox pitcher (I think we underestimate how much of a Security Blanket San Diego was for him), as well as the added pressure of playing for a "contender" (lol), or perhaps playing in a town where Baseball means something

There's a good to great chance that Peavy just sucks this year, as he adjusts to his new team, surroundings, expectations, and the league/hitters

Sucks, but this could very well be a bad year for us, I'm talking sub-.500 for the 3rd time in 4 years. Heads will roll

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
IMO Peavy's issues are probably not mechanical, more along the lines of psychological. Most likely things like him not feeling comfortable, at least not yet, as a Sox pitcher (I think we underestimate how much of a Security Blanket San Diego was for him), as well as the added pressure of playing for a "contender" (lol), or perhaps playing in a town where Baseball means something

There's a good to great chance that Peavy just sucks this year, as he adjusts to his new team, surroundings, expectations, and the league/hitters

Sucks, but this could very well be a bad year for us, I'm talking sub-.500 for the 3rd time in 4 years. Heads will roll

Jesus Christ. The lengths some people go to avoid the possibility Peavy is injured.

How exactly is it psychological that he can't throw as well as he did......SEVEN MONTHS AGO.....when he was on the Sox?

If what you said is true in any way, then it's time to get him off our team. Don't need someone who is afraid to throw a f***ing baseball really fast for a living while making 15+ million.

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
http://twitter.com/Cst_Sox

Peavy isn't hurt. He admits he's still trying to find his mechanics, which I can agree with from what I've seen so far

Also, I want to add that his rip towards Chuck Garfien looking like he belongs on To Catch A Predator is absolutely correct. Something about the way the man looks is freightening.