What's wrong with Jake Peavy?

macsandz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
That makes sense. I had a really hard time believing that Harden has lost 10 mph off of his stuff.

Harden was only getting to 91-92 mph for the Cubs last year. He's one of the more suspicious pitchers with regards to performance enhancers in a long time. Damn Oakland A's!

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Harden was only getting to 91-92 mph for the Cubs last year. He's one of the more suspicious pitchers with regards to performance enhancers in a long time. Damn Oakland A's!

Really Fathom? You can't find any other reason why Harden might have suffered a significant velocity drop? Like say, injury?

I'm not ruling it out, but you gotta give us better than that.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
If he were, I'd think that he'd have the sense to shut himself down. This isn't some kid from a poverty-stricken family in South America who's playing for a big contract.

I didn't get to see the game, but it's nice to hear that he had really good stuff after that first inning.

I think it is a mechanics issue, not becuase he is injured now, but because he altered his delivery a little after being injured last season. I think he just needs a little tweaking and he will be fine.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I don't know if anyone posted Peavy's pitchFX numbers from last night but his average fastball was 90.12 MPH and he topped out at 91.7 MPH. In his previous outing he was at 91.77 avg. and 94.5 max.

Do they use the same gun for these pitchFX stats as the TV crews use?

Toronto seemed to have a slow gun as well. Or maybe the cell is just fast, I don't know. But I find it hard to believe that all of our pitchers are seemingly losing and gaining several MPH from appearance to appearance.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
Do they use the same gun for these pitchFX stats as the TV crews use?

Toronto seemed to have a slow gun as well. Or maybe the cell is just fast, I don't know. But I find it hard to believe that all of our pitchers are seemingly losing and gaining several MPH from appearance to appearance.

Entirely different type of gun. Several times more in depth than a standard radar gun. Sportsvision created pitch f/x... they are the same company that created the 1st and 10 system (yellow line) used in football.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
Entirely different type of gun. Several times more in depth than a standard radar gun. Sportsvision created pitch f/x... they are the same company that created the 1st and 10 system (yellow line) used in football.

Thanks, dude....that definitely lends a bit more credibility to the numbers on that site.

The pitch f/x pitch speed data isn't tracked using any kind of gun. It's a sensor camera that picks up the pitch several times on it's way to the plate and determines the speed of the pitch that way, it's incredibly accurate and can determine the location of a pitch to within 1 half inch, so their pitch location data (such as strikezone plots) is just about right on.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
The pitch f/x pitch speed data isn't tracked using any kind of gun. It's a sensor camera that picks up the pitch several times on it's way to the plate and determines the speed of the pitch that way, it's incredibly accurate and can determine the location of a pitch to within 1 half inch, so their pitch location data (such as strikezone plots) is just about right on.

I have seen people refer to it as a pitch f/x gun. Pitch f/x is several times more in-depth than your standard radar gun, as it does calculate velocity... not to mention a great deal more. I don't believe i was incorrect.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
I have seen people refer to it as a pitch f/x gun. Pitch f/x is several times more in-depth than your standard radar gun, as it does calculate velocity... not to mention a great deal more. I don't believe i was incorrect.

Then you and everyone else is wrong. I hear people say "I could care less" an awful lot even though it's incorrect, doesn't mean I'd be right if I said it. I am the only one that is right.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
Then you and everyone else is wrong. I hear people say "I could care less" an awful lot even though it's incorrect, doesn't mean I'd be right if I said it. I am the only one that is right.

Pat%20on%20the%20back(1).jpg

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but Peavy was on the Score a couple days ago and implied that the Sox had been tinkering with his delivery, and he basically had to regain his mechanics. B&B surmised that they may have tried to take some stress off the arm, but that just isn't the way he pitches. We will see, but he might be fine from here on out.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but Peavy was on the Score a couple days ago and implied that the Sox had been tinkering with his delivery, and he basically had to regain his mechanics. B&B surmised that they may have tried to take some stress off the arm, but that just isn't the way he pitches. We will see, but he might be fine from here on out.

It has been mentioned in PHT somewhere before.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 7, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
I don't know if you guys have already seen this, but it made me throw up a lil bit in my mouth...

A Steal?

I like it.

If they perceive that past trades with us worked out well for them, it should make future trades easier.

While the White Sox know what they received in former CY winner in Jake Peavy, it may be a matter of years before we see how Poreda, coined as the "prize in the deal," part plays out. This year, however, the Pads are getting pitchers in Richard and Russell who are already paying dividends for their first place team. Richard looks as if he plays with a load of confidence on the mound, often laughing or smiling. You have to respect a player that is having fun, working quickly, and pitching very well. As for Russell, this guy has legit stuff. Russell who looks like he could be a future closer and possibly even surpassing Adams and Gregerson. Adam throws primarily a two seam fast ball from 95 touching 96 with absolutely filthy movement! A four seamer that is much straighter but can dial it up to 97-98. Russell compliments his two fast-balls with a change up and a slider which are both respectable allowing him to throw them at anytime during an at bat regardless of the count. He is definitely a force on the mound with closer mentality and more importantly, STUFF!

Total bunch of crap, even if Hawk and our biggest hypesters on the message board tried, they couldn't come up with such ridiculous hyperbole about Russell. OMG. Oh my Lady Gaga!

Apparently, the person who wrote the article never saw Russell pitch and came from the same school of thinking that had Felix Diaz and Jon Adkins as excellent prospects when the White Sox added them in 2002.

I would argue was Richard, by the time of the trade, was already being considered equally important, if not MORE important, than Aaron Poreda. This article makes Poreda look like Sandy Koufax as well, and is not "reality checked" by actual realistic observation and astute scouting commentary.

Probably if Wasserman was involved in the trade, he would have been made out to be a future Trevor Hoffman...and any hitter would have had the ability to win 10+ batting crowns with a constant grin on his face like Tony Gwynn.