What's wrong with Jake Peavy?

macsandz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
That was also a free-agent to be on a team that was 50-50 on making a playoff run anyway. The Sox had to be cheap when it came to adding offense this offseason, because they traded for this guy and his ginormous contract. If he doesn't start pitching better soon, its gonna be trouble.

Which is all the more reason why this was one of the silliest trades Kenny has ever made...If you go through the chronology of it, it gets even sillier:

1. In Mid May-Tries to trade for Peavy by offering SD a package of propspects including Clayton Richard

2. Peavy turns down trade within the ruights of his 'no-trade' contract;

3. June-Peavy hurts ankle goes on DL;

4. July- With Peavy on the DL, Kenny offers the same package of propsects to SD again for Peavy even though the guy is on the DL and it's two months later in the season!. Note that both Rick Hahn and Kenny had to twist Uncle Jerry's arm to sign off on the deal.

5. Peavy finally agrees to go the the Sox;

6. Mid-September-Peavy ends up finally getting off of the DL and pitches in a few games when the team is all but out of the race;

7. Since SD did not assume any money on Peavy's deal, the Sox are on the hook for three more years for $48 million with a fourth year buyout for $4 million;

8. Offseason-Kenny goes on the cheap to fill the reamining holes on the team in part, because of the Peavy deal and the committment to Alex Rios who was acquired at mid season, the Sox 2010 budget was maxed out;

All of this for a guy who has not been right since 2007 and has had an injury rap sheet as long as my arm. I will take Clayton Richard back today.

Whats wrong with Peavy? Hard to say since we haven't seen alot of him in the past. We really can't compare accurately how he looks now from years past as we haven't seen him on a regular basis. He's not living up to his reputation, thats for sure, but who could? We had them as the best staff in the league and a sure division winner and Peavy a God send. Should not have gotten so high when we got him and should not be so low now. Long way to go. If he stays healthy he will contribute. A four game winning streak and people will be right back to predicting a champion. Let them play for a while and let Peavy settle in.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

During recent starts in Cleveland and Toronto, Peavy's fastball topped out at 92 mph. In his opening start against the Indians, with the adrenaline flowing, Peavy maxed out with five fastballs reaching 93 mph.

On Thursday against the Rays, Peavy hit 95 mph on three occasions and was consistent enough to reach 94 mph on 15 different pitches. Even during Peavy's last start of 2009, when he shut down Detroit over eight innings, Peavy never went above 93 mph.

"Even last year, I didn't see 94," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Peavy's velocity. "I see 93, 94 consistently."

"If you are looking at me as a prospect, five days ago, I pitched in the eighth inning and I was throwing the ball 88 to 91," Peavy said. "And then last night, you are talking about four or five mile difference in velocity and a lot of swings and misses on changeups and a lot of swings and misses with the fastball. I also threw some good breaking balls."

So, what changes did Peavy exactly make? He reverted back to his old form, when Peavy and White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper broke down past video and noticed the differences in his delivery. That tape happened to be from a June 13, 2007, Peavy start in St. Petersburg, Fla., when he limited the Rays to two hits and struck out eight over seven innings.

It's the first time this season Peavy has faced a team with which he had some real past history, so the White Sox were able to see the changes. Without getting too complicated, Peavy explained the adjustments more specifically.

"I'm using my legs a whole lot more," Peavy said. "I'm a low three-quarter [delivery] guy. If you watched me in Cleveland [on Saturday], I was a high three-quarter guy. Coop has been trying to tell me to get on top of the ball, and that's the stuff you just say to people.

Peavy is going to be on White Sox Weekly sometime in the next couple hours on The Score.

I guess he and Coop were working on his arm angle, and they think they've figured something out. We'll see.

Also--I don't know anyone else mentioned this...Harold Reynolds noticed that he's flinching after he throws the ball because of the comebackers he's had..once in the rehab start last year, and once in spring training from Torii Hunter. It's causing him not to finish off his pitches. I though it was interesting. Not sure if it's a real thing, but I hadn't heard anyone else point that out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Peavy is going to be on White Sox Weekly sometime in the next couple hours on The Score.

I guess he and Coop were working on his arm angle, and they think they've figured something out. We'll see.

Also--I don't know anyone else mentioned this...Harold Reynolds noticed that he's flinching after he throws the ball because of the comebackers he's had..once in the rehab start last year, and once in spring training from Torii Hunter. It's causing him not to finish off his pitches. I though it was interesting. Not sure if it's a real thing, but I hadn't heard anyone else point that out.

Kyle should be doing more research on Peavy related stuff so he could give the breaking news on stories like this...

Just heard his interview.

Basically, Jake said that when he got to Spring Training, Coop and the staff tried to "fix" his mechanics. He said that he tried to do some new things in the first few starts that weren't working out, and after watching some tape, Coop and him realized that he just isn't the kind of pitcher that uses perfect mechanics. He's going to try to go back to what he did in '07 and his 8 years with the Padres.

I guess he's the Favre of baseball. Awesome at what he does, but no one should try to emulate his mechanics.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)

Basically, Jake said that when he got to Spring Training, Coop and the staff tried to "fix" his mechanics. He said that he tried to do some new things in the first few starts that weren't working out, and after watching some tape, Coop and him realized that he just isn't the kind of pitcher that uses perfect mechanics. He's going to try to go back to what he did in '07 and his 8 years with the Padres.

I guess he's the Favre of baseball. Awesome at what he does, but no one should try to emulate his mechanics.

Tidbit heard this morning when Stone was on the Score:

Peavy's last start was trying to use a release point he used before in 07 and before. He had dropped down a shade which allowed for more velocity, but probably reeked havoc on his control. It may take him a start or so to get that release point down.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)

Tim Tebow=Jake Peavy???

Minus the worshipful comments from Jim Grey...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Tidbit heard this morning when Stone was on the Score:

Peavy's last start was trying to use a release point he used before in 07 and before. He had dropped down a shade which allowed for more velocity, but probably reeked havoc on his control. It may take him a start or so to get that release point down.

If it is something they are trying to do to keep the guy healthy, more power to them.

I don't like Curt Schilling but heard a good interview w/him this morning and he was discussing the struggles of Javy Vazquez in the American League and said the difference in the two leagues is "night and day" -- the AL is so much harder to pitch in, the hitters are just better and there are 9 of them in the lineup. I think that's some of the trouble with Jake.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
I don't like Curt Schilling but heard a good interview w/him this morning and he was discussing the struggles of Javy Vazquez in the American League and said the difference in the two leagues is "night and day" -- the AL is so much harder to pitch in, the hitters are just better and there are 9 of them in the lineup. I think that's some of the trouble with Jake.

Some of? Possibly, but only a small part at most. The leagues are not THAT much different, that a guy's ERA goes from 3 to 7.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
Didn't the Cubs try to do the same thing with Kerry Wood and they gave up trying?

Kevin Appier, very ugly/violent motion, same thing? Eventually injuries ruined his career, the first half he was a borderline HOF track...

HOF? now thats kinda silly

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
HOF? now thats kinda silly

If he continued for the last 8-9 years of his career, what he did in the first 8....definitely.

I don't know how old you are, but he was an absolute beastly monster on the mound before he got hurt seriously and lost his stuff.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
Which is all the more reason why this was one of the silliest trades Kenny has ever made...If you go through the chronology of it, it gets even sillier:

1. In Mid May-Tries to trade for Peavy by offering SD a package of propspects including Clayton Richard

2. Peavy turns down trade within the ruights of his 'no-trade' contract;

3. June-Peavy hurts ankle goes on DL;

4. July- With Peavy on the DL, Kenny offers the same package of propsects to SD again for Peavy even though the guy is on the DL and it's two months later in the season!. Note that both Rick Hahn and Kenny had to twist Uncle Jerry's arm to sign off on the deal.

5. Peavy finally agrees to go the the Sox;

6. Mid-September-Peavy ends up finally getting off of the DL and pitches in a few games when the team is all but out of the race;

7. Since SD did not assume any money on Peavy's deal, the Sox are on the hook for three more years for $48 million with a fourth year buyout for $4 million;

8. Offseason-Kenny goes on the cheap to fill the reamining holes on the team in part, because of the Peavy deal and the committment to Alex Rios who was acquired at mid season, the Sox 2010 budget was maxed out;

All of this for a guy who has not been right since 2007 and has had an injury rap sheet as long as my arm. I will take Clayton Richard back today.

LOL

You don't take Clayton Richard, who only looks better because he's in the NL, over a Cy Young award winner.

You just don't....it's high risk, high reward....but having a rotation of Richard/Hudson at the back end isn't going to do it for 2-3 years.

We don't have time to "develop" our young pitchers, they usually have to produce right away, simple....we're not a rebuilding organization, never have been under KW, never will be under KW, period.

The point about financial flexibility, though, is very valid. You can come up with 100's of theoretical rosters with Richard/Hudson and allocating the money from RIOS/PEAVY to about construct much deeper/stronger overall teams, like we did in 2005 when we divested ourselves of Ordonez, Lee and Valentin to spread the money out over a broad swath of veteran components.

KW is a gambler...maybe this one doesn't turn out well (big-time pitchers at that time frame in career with huge contracts RARELY pay off), but you have to admire the effort and desire to win.

It's rare that we have invested that much in a pitcher outside our organization. You have to go back to David Wells or Jaime Navarro, I think. And Wells was only a one and done deal, not a HUGE long-term commitment of present and future dollars.

But then you look at ZITO, he's gone from the worst contract in baseball to MEH, enough to make a valuable contribution to SF.

Edited by caulfield12