What's wrong with Jake Peavy?

macsandz

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Any person who wants Richard back instead of Peavy is CRAZY.

insane. very good chance richard is not even in our rotation right now. i never wanted to watch a game where he pitched.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

insane. very good chance richard is not even in our rotation right now. i never wanted to watch a game where he pitched.

That's kind of unfair. The guy was young, young, young. My guess is you won't want to watch many games of any rookie starting pitcher for the Sox, because the guy will have major growing pains.

Richard showed some smarts in copying Buehrle's style.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
That's kind of unfair. The guy was young, young, young. My guess is you won't want to watch many games of any rookie starting pitcher for the Sox, because the guy will have major growing pains.

actually no I love to watch rookies pitch and play. I just never really liked Richard at all, even if that was unfair. Moreover he really wasnt that young. In fact hes 19 months older than Danks.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
I guess he's the Favre of baseball. Awesome at what he does, but no one should try to emulate his mechanics.

There's a lot of that in baseball, especially with hitters (both Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell were phenomenal hitters, but you don't want to teach kids to hit like those two), but it's quite a bit different in pitchers. So long as his mechanics aren't something that will cause a huge, devastating injury, the changes should and will be made. Or if they do cause that huge, devastating injury, it's hopefully after this contract is up and he's moved on to another team.

I'm not worried about Floyd or Peavy whatsoever.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Just heard his interview.

Basically, Jake said that when he got to Spring Training, Coop and the staff tried to "fix" his mechanics. He said that he tried to do some new things in the first few starts that weren't working out, and after watching some tape, Coop and him realized that he just isn't the kind of pitcher that uses perfect mechanics. He's going to try to go back to what he did in '07 and his 8 years with the Padres.

I guess he's the Favre of baseball. Awesome at what he does, but no one should try to emulate his mechanics.

Coop was trying to make him last longer so that Kenny wouldn't look so bad with that contract of his if he were to go down.

Peavy's mechanics are such crap, but it's what makes him so good. His motion creates a whip on the ball and makes it move a lot more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)

The only thing that makes him like Buehrle is working fast and being lefthanded. The guy isnt very young and isnt all that talented.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
The only thing that makes him like Buehrle is working fast and being lefthanded. The guy isnt very young and isnt all that talented.

How many LH pitchers in baseball throw 93-96 MPH AND are starters? It's a list that is very short.

Granted his optimal role is still probably out of the bullpen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)

I still think Clayton Richard can be a good bullpen arm, but that's all the further I'd go. He's got a good fastball, but all of his secondary pitches are mediocre to bad. That leaves him as a 4th or 5th starter, or a bullpen arm.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
I still think Clayton Richard can be a good bullpen arm, but that's all the further I'd go. He's got a good fastball, but all of his secondary pitches are mediocre to bad. That leaves him as a 4th or 5th starter, or a bullpen arm.

So more time under Magic Man Don Cooper's tutelage wouldn't have benefited him? :huh

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Clayton Richard is one of the hardest throwing lefty starters in baseball. That's pretty talented, in my opinion. It's going to be hard to judge how he would have been on the Sox, as he's in the perfect park for him to pitch in.

Jorge De La Rosa - 94.2

Jon Lester - 93.5

David Price - 93.3

CC Sabathia - 93.2

Francisco Liriano - 93.1

Clayton Kershaw - 92.9

Gio Gonzalez - 92.6

Brett Anderson - 92.5

Clayton Richard - 91.4

CJ Wilson - 91.2

John Danks - 91.2

Only 8 lefties are throwing harder than him this year, so I would say this statement qualifies as true. It doesn't change the fact that his secondary pitches, in general, have been very mediocre, and it's the main reason why I think he'd make for a good reliever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
Jorge De La Rosa - 94.2

Jon Lester - 93.5

David Price - 93.3

CC Sabathia - 93.2

Francisco Liriano - 93.1

Clayton Kershaw - 92.9

Gio Gonzalez - 92.6

Brett Anderson - 92.5

Clayton Richard - 91.4

CJ Wilson - 91.2

John Danks - 91.2

Only 8 lefties are throwing harder than him this year, so I would say this statement qualifies as true. It doesn't change the fact that his secondary pitches, in general, have been very mediocre, and it's the main reason why I think he'd make for a good reliever.

Nice stat wite. Bring this back up in July/August as well as I wanna see if some of these guys are still the same. I know for a fact Richard was 91-93 early on before he was cranking it up at 94-97 around that time last season (between AAA and the bigs). Couple the fact that he is probably the top 5 best pickoff pitcher (not just LH) in the game. I don't think David Price (or Kershaw) will be third (or 6th) on that list very long either.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Nice stat wite. Bring this back up in July/August as well as I wanna see if some of these guys are still the same. I know for a fact Richard was 91-93 early on before he was cranking it up at 94-97 around that time last season (between AAA and the bigs). Couple the fact that he is probably the top 5 best pickoff pitcher (not just LH) in the game. I don't think David Price (or Kershaw) will be third (or 6th) on that list very long either.

I'm shocked Johan isn't on the list.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I'm shocked Johan isn't on the list.

He was always around the 91-92 range on average with the Twins, jumping to 93.1 in 2006. Since joining the Mets, his velocity has gone from 91.2 in 08 to 90.5 last year to 89.7 this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
I should have said inexperienced then, not young.

At any rate, Peavy needs to start acting like an ace, though starting pitching is the least of this team's worries.

Actually, right now its a pretty big worry. Peavy and Floyd are, ERA wise, two of the worst starters in the AL. The Sox desperately need those two to come around if they expect to compete. Floyd pulled this same act last year, so I expect he will be fine. Peavy is more worrisome.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)

1) Dayton Moore isn's as smart as most think. The Royals basically gave up on De La Rosa too quickly. Not the first organization to do so, however. He's had a lot of chances, that's for sure.

2) Liriano is close to being back, which is quite normal 2-3 seasons after TJ surgery. Usually the 2nd. I think he's held back because the slider was a big hang up for him, letting it lose with 100% torque and as often as he did in 2006.

3) Aaron Poreda was successfully overhyped and marketed by Harrelson and KW, our second version of Royce Ring in a generation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
He was always around the 91-92 range on average with the Twins, jumping to 93.1 in 2006. Since joining the Mets, his velocity has gone from 91.2 in 08 to 90.5 last year to 89.7 this year.

You really have to wonder if another surgery is in his near future.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
1) Dayton Moore isn's as smart as most think. The Royals basically gave up on De La Rosa too quickly. Not the first organization to do so, however. He's had a lot of chances, that's for sure.

2) Liriano is close to being back, which is quite normal 2-3 seasons after TJ surgery. Usually the 2nd. I think he's held back because the slider was a big hang up for him, letting it lose with 100% torque and as often as he did in 2006.

3) Aaron Poreda was successfully overhyped and marketed by Harrelson and KW, our second version of Royce Ring in a generation.

I really doubt anyone who matters actually listens to these people. Poreda IMO was only overhyped by those who thought he was a top-end starter, but if he becomes the next Thornton then that's not too shabby, especially when you consider how badly the Pads needed to move Peavy's contract and how little leverage they had in that situation. There are 29 other teams in baseball that would love to have Poreda on the farm right now.