What's wrong with Jake Peavy?

macsandz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
I'm glad he took advantage of Spring Training to find his mechanics.

Peavy had 13 strikeouts and 2 walks in 11 innings during the Spring. I imagine he thought they were fine, and he was wrong.

I will also agree with Ace here in that it really is encouraging how well he pitched from the 2nd through the 6th, whether you want to agree with it or not. The control needs work, but I'm still not worried about him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
I love that show. That decoy named Casey is foine.

Looks like you might be on that show one day in the future, lol.

Will you run at the sight of Chris Hansen or will you give in to his "have a seat, just have a seat" line?

I was thoroughly dismayed by the first inning. I was ready to say pull the plug or whatever other euphanism for giving up on him I could think of. But, he looked very good for the next five innings. It seemed like he just found it, whatever "it" is. So, I'm mildly encouraged about his next start.

FWIW I was at the game sitting in their version of the Scout Seats.

In that awful first it was control, control, control... he was all over the place. When he did throw a strike they'd tag him. And by the second inning I believe he was already at 60 pitches.

However, from that point on he was cruising most of the way; he settled down. He got some nasty strikeouts and shattered a few bats with inside pitches.

I'm not pulling the plug on him just yet. We've been through this feast-or-famine thing with Contreras, who, just when you think he's over the hill, surprises everybody. And I think Peavy's way more mentally tough than him. Speaking of which, first half of 2005 Contreras was awful; for the next half he was the best pitcher in baseball.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)

In that awful first it was control, control, control... he was all over the place. When he did throw a strike they'd tag him. And by the second inning I believe he was already at 60 pitches.

However, from that point on he was cruising most of the way; he settled down. He got some nasty strikeouts and shattered a few bats with inside pitches.

I'm not pulling the plug on him just yet. We've been through this feast-or-famine thing with Contreras, who, just when you think he's over the hill, surprises everybody. And I think Peavy's way more mentally tough than him. Speaking of which, first half of 2005 Contreras was awful; for the next half he was the best pitcher in baseball.

Not just that but his fastball was sitting at 88-91 MPH. I dont whether or not the gun in Texas is slow but to me that was quite alarming. His stuff seemed to be there but awful location coupled with leaving that slow fastball up killed him. And frankly, after the 1st inning I was so disgusted that I ended up watching the History of America show and only flipping back and forth to the game so I didn't see much of his later performance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
He's been, at times, throwing HARDER this year than he had in previous years. I highly doubt he's injured.

He can't control it when he throws harder though. With the Padres, he could, that's how he took the pitching triple crown in 2007.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 06:05 AM)
I was thoroughly dismayed by the first inning. I was ready to say pull the plug or whatever other euphanism for giving up on him I could think of. But, he looked very good for the next five innings. It seemed like he just found it, whatever "it" is. So, I'm mildly encouraged about his next start.

The first inning was the worst he has thrown since he got here. The next five were the best he has looked since he got here, IMO.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)

Great, another arbitrary comparison to 2005.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm not trying to look backward, just to point out that a bad start to the season doesn't mean he's a bust.

I meant no offense by it. It just gets old when people refer to the one season in basically a century where things went right in order to ignore a real problem occurring in the present.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
I meant no offense by it. It just gets old when people refer to the one season in basically a century where things went right in order to ignore a real problem occurring in the present.

I think it was just a general comparison with regards to a pitcher on the Sox pitching terribly and then rebounding very nicely. Gavin Floyd did the same thing after April last year.

Contreras was funny that year.

First 12 starts - 3-2, 72 IP, 3.13 ERA, 1.14 WHIP

Next 12 - 4-5, 72.1 IP, 5.35 ERA, 1.51 WHIP

Final 12 (including postseason) - 11-1, 92.1 IP, 2.44 ERA, 0.96 WHIP

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
Peavy has been toying around mechanically, and something seems to have clicked last night. He's been, at times, throwing HARDER this year than he had in previous years. I highly doubt he's injured.

If he were, I'd think that he'd have the sense to shut himself down. This isn't some kid from a poverty-stricken family in South America who's playing for a big contract.

I didn't get to see the game, but it's nice to hear that he had really good stuff after that first inning.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 05:47 AM)
Not just that but his fastball was sitting at 88-91 MPH. I dont whether or not the gun in Texas is slow but to me that was quite alarming.

DJ just mentioned that the Ballpark's gun is really slow. Gavin is apparently throwing 88 mph fastballs right now.