Sox situation: Grave

justBLAZE

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:14 AM)
Hangzhou...1 1/2 hours from Shanghai by train, more or less

15925642611 (cell number)

I will be in Shanghai for a preview of the upcoming WORLD EXPO all day Sunday.

I will actually be in Shanghai while the World Expo is going on. I am assuming that is going to be one giant clusterf*** of people. I'm looking forward to it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Just an FYI, but while some of us might like seeing young players, the majority of the fans will have zero interest seeing young players, especially if they aren't high upside young players, go through the motions of a 90 to 100 loss season.

They've done it before and they'll do it again if they have to.

If we're well out by the end of May, I’d call up Flowers, Hudson and Danks and insert all of them into the starting lineup/rotation. This would move Pierre to the bench, Rios to the top of the order, and Danks hitting lower in the order until we can access how much of a problem his K-rate will prove to be at the major league level. I'd try to move A.J and Jenks, I’d DFA Nix, and I’d position the lineup towards integrating some of the younger guys, while building from the already established core. Guys like Viciedo and Retherford should make no more than a cameo appearance come September, unless they're going ballistic in the minors. With the pressure off, I’d put these guys in the position to get used to the speed of the major league game, and be prepared to come into 2011 having had half a year under the belt and ready to succeed or fail on their own merits.

Thunderbolt,

I'm a little unclear.

It seems you want to give Dayan and CJ one-half season (at the big league level) to get their feet wet, while simultaneously not being recalled until the minor league season is over at the end of August....? What will they do to get used to the big leagues? It seems you really can't promote Dayan unless he would be playing in at least half the games, which would mean a platoon at DH and/or 1B (Kotsay gone/Konerko dealt). Retherford, you don't have to worry about quite so much sitting on the bench more often.

Wouldn't it make more sense to DFA or waive Vizquel and replace him with Retherford...but then keep Nix in AAA playing 2B everyday (affording the spot to say D2)? Or your idea is that he might be claimed by another team if he goes through the process? Or, since Ozzie will never be part of embarassing/shaming Omar, they'll just flip flop Nix and Retherford on the 25 man?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
Wouldn't it make more sense to DFA or waive Vizquel and replace him with Retherford...but then keep Nix in AAA playing 2B everyday (affording the spot to say D2)? Or your idea is that he might be claimed by another team if he goes through the process? Or, since Ozzie will never be part of embarassing/shaming Omar, they'll just flip flop Nix and Retherford on the 25 man?

Given how the Sox tend to treat veterans, I'm pretty sure that Vizquel won't be DFA'd. If they eventually want him off the roster, they'll trade him to a contender for a low-tier prospect.

THEN, if we want to get "something for free" since we basically stole Nix from Colorado...why don't we simply (crossing that bridge when we get to it) try to get more regular at-bats for Nix in the second half of the season and see if we can somehow get a B prospect in return for him?

I'm assuming that if things completely fell apart, they would waive/trade Vizquel at age 43 (marketing him to a contender as a defense first, 3 position utility IF in the Juan Castro mode).

Hopefully some team will have a 2B go down...that's the best-case scenario for maximizing Nix's value.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
No one is trading stuff for a guy who they think might be a legitimate DFA candidate, even if he has a solid season.

^

The idea that someone would trade something of value for Nix is insane. He can't hit, and is only a decent defender at 2B. Nix is a classic AAAA guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
^

The idea that someone would trade something of value for Nix is insane. He can't hit, and is only a decent defender at 2B. Nix is a classic AAAA guy.

If Beckham went down and Nix came in and hit 30 HR, then he might have some value. But that's literally what it would take.

We traded Guerrier for Marte....and Matt was one of our top 10 prospects at the time.

The Pirates already had 2 two LHP's they were pretty sure to keep coming out of ST (think one of them was Beimel), so Damaso was going to have to clear waivers first but KW pulled the trigger, which turned out to be the wise move as he becamse one of the top 2-3 LH set-up men in baseball from 2002-2004.

The Borchard for Thornton move also comes to mind. I'd rather get ANYTHING/SOMETHING back in return...at least TRY.

The more times we roll the dice in getting "a bundle" of the prospects that KW and the scouts have identified, the better off we'll be.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
We traded Guerrier for Marte....and Matt was one of our top 10 prospects at the time.

The Pirates already had 2 two LHP's they were pretty sure to keep coming out of ST (think one of them was Beimel), so Damaso was going to have to clear waivers first but KW pulled the trigger, which turned out to be the wise move as he becamse one of the top 2-3 LH set-up men in baseball from 2002-2004.

The Borchard for Thornton move also comes to mind. I'd rather get ANYTHING/SOMETHING back in return...at least TRY.

The more times we roll the dice in getting "a bundle" of the prospects that KW and the scouts have identified, the better off we'll be.

I hope you aren't comparing Jayson Nix to either Marte or Borchard, because it isn't even in the same neighborhood.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
And look what we gave up for him? A legitmate DFA candidate.

at least he was a guy we knew was suited for a defensive role. for some reason ozzie believes kotsay is a starter. would any other team in baseball even claim kotsay if we DFA'd him? certainly no one would give him 300-400 at bats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
I hope you aren't comparing Jayson Nix to either Marte or Borchard, because it isn't even in the same neighborhood.

Borchard had a better minor league career than Nix (and got to the bigs faster), but he was still regarded as a bust when we dealt him to Seattle. I'm still surprised that they were willing to give up a guy with Thornton's arm.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Borchard had a better minor league career than Nix (and got to the bigs faster), but he was still regarded as a bust when we dealt him to Seattle. I'm still surprised that they were willing to give up a guy with Thornton's arm.

He was out of options and they had no room for him on their staff at the time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
Are we really back to this busted argument again?

I don't think the argument is busted at all, but I'm not complaining about the White Sox current payroll anyway. I'm just pointing out that things, even if a worse case scenerio occured, aren't as dire as JR wants the fanbase to believe. I think he's just preparing everyone for a lower payroll because if things don't work out this year, I'm sure they hope Viciedo will be ready to play first base, Flowers ready to catch, and they aren't going to want to pay Jenks close to $10 million to close games.

Edited by Dick Allen