What a disaster this rotating DH NL lineup idea is...

Steve9347

It's finally happened.

I never thought it would happen but it has.

It is time to fire Ozzie.

I think I've seen enough to know that Ozzie's obsession with the teams he was base coach for is a problem. I have no idea how I fell for the Juan Pierre idea, but I fell hard and I'm making all apologies right now. I can't imagine how he ever hit .300 without insane luck. The guy has absolutely no power so he can only hit it down the line, bunt himself on, or find a hole through miracle praises to the great Allah.

Now that the intro is out of the way...

I've resisted being negative. I've resisted giving up. However, we don't have a very good offense to begin with, but I don't think Ozzie really wants to be here. Let me give you a prime example.

- Omar Vizquel hit 2nd for us tonight, and it won't be the last time he does so. He has also led off for us... an American League team lying to it's fanbase about wanting to "win". His OBP the last three seasons? .305, .283, .316.

Put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger until it goes click.

- Andrew Jones hit 3rd for us tonight. I get it... fun story. Great story, maybe. However, this is the pudgy f***er who hit a whopping .214 last year, and that was a marked improvement from the season prior. His OPS is over 1.000 and I still want to find a sharp object and start slicing my arms to wind up on an MTV special.

Guess what? Texas stunk last year and they didn't even start these two idiots. We're hitting them in the top third of our lineup against the hottest team in the American League!!

Seriously?? The 2010 White Sox are offering Vizquel and Jones... batting immediately behind Juan Pierre... as the answer to this awful start to the season?? This is f***ing unacceptable. Pierre couldn't start for an NL club last year and can't field. Vizquel should have retired 3 seasons ago, and Jones should hit no better than 7th and we should be doing cartwheels because of what we've seen so far... something that there is no way in hell will continue.

I don't know what to do here, boys. This lineup is in shambles. We need Carlos Quentin to hit like its 2008 pre-wrist and we need Alex Rios to hit like its 200-.... that year he was supposed to break out and never did.

I love the White Sox. I love going to games. I love the sound of Gene Honda.

But the Blackhawks had better go deep into the playoffs so I don't have to deal with this crap. It's Chicago, and a much better lineup could have been had, and we're dealing with this crap.

Pierre - Vizquel - Jones

Your 2010 top 3 for at least one game, and one was too many.

So Ozzie, I've fired you, and Kenny... I love you but you are now on my watch list, and I never thought I'd say that either.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm inclinded to agree with the notion that we're not going to get markedly better until Ozzie is no longer filling out the lineups. I do think we'll improve, but there's no defense for some of the things Ozzie has been pulling. They defy general baseball logic and reason. With any luck he'll be managing the Braves next year.

9.3/10

Not as meandering and wandering as my typical rants, but well done.

Good execution, lots of dramatic flair and "elan." Extra 1/4 point for PC mentioning of Allah.

Your MTV shout-out reminded me of the drama that will be the White Sox/KW reality show...could get to be MUST-SEE TV the way things are going. Nice point about Jones/Vizquel being superfluous with the Rangers, and the rhetorical flourish and triplicated alliteration of "I love..." Simple, yet elegant.

Edited by caulfield12

Solutions for bringing fans out to game out of curiosity which would in no way improve our record but might boost attendance/interest (see Canseco, Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, etc.)

1) Release Vizquel. Bring back Crede to get some AB's against LHP's and as a part-time DH. Get Nix some more playing time to see if he fits into the long-range plans of the organization. Vizquel certainly doesn't, unless it's playing for Ozzie's next team.

2) Sign Bonds or Sosa to replace Kotsay. Yes, I'm joking. Well, 90%.

3) Promote Danks (Kotsay)/Flowers (Lucy/Kotsay)/Hudson (Garcia)/Retherford (for Nix)...let Nix play everyday 2B at Charlotte

4) Reactivate Frank Thomas or sign Carlos Farmer in the Delgado.

5) Reactivate Ozzie Guillen as player/manager and team him up with Vizquel.

6) Minnie Minoso plays in yet another Sox decade.

7) Release Williams. Replace with Eddie Guardado.

8) Five year reunion of 2005 team....just to have some good vibes at the ballpark again.

9) Brian Anderson Appreciation Day

10) Another option...bring back Chad Bradford, Tom Gordon or Luis Vizcaino (more of the positive vibes thing from former Sox hurlers)

This team sucks. What manager is going to get these guys anywhere? There is virtually nothing exciting about watching this team except a couple starting pitchers and a reliever or two...Just putting together a bunch of good players (circa 2004) is so Dan Snyder-esque it's funny.

Now the team is in the doldrums, the salary is high, so-called good players are playing at DFA-them levels, and no one is watching this flotsam...and we're only 16 games in. There is time to turn it around, but does this team have that capability?

Kenny retooled the minors a bit, then gutted it again for a guy who can't get people out and is making more money than God. Accountability starts with guys like that. Everyone likes to beat up on a platoon hitting DH (who admittedly should NOT be there). There are more problems here than Mark freaking Kotsay (though he could be one of the first to be moved out if need blood is needed).

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
This team sucks. What manager is going to get these guys anywhere? There is virtually nothing exciting about watching this team except a couple starting pitchers and a reliever or two...Just putting together a bunch of good players (circa 2004) is so Dan Snyder-esque it's funny.

Now the team is in the doldrums, the salary is high, so-called good players are playing at DFA-them levels, and no one is watching this flotsam...and we're only 16 games in. There is time to turn it around, but does this team have that capability?

Kenny retooled the minors a bit, then gutted it again for a guy who can't get people out and is making more money than God. Accountability starts with guys like that. Everyone likes to beat up on a platoon hitting DH (who admittedly should NOT be there). There are more problems here than Mark freaking Kotsay (though he could be one of the first to be moved out if need blood is needed).

As someone highlighted somewhere else on this site, all of those players we gave up (to SD) are struggling mightily, with the exception of Clayton Richard. We lost some depth, but none of those other there were going to make much of a difference to the long-term future of this team IMO. Now I suppose you could argue they'd provide KW with "added bullets" for his trading gun, but that boat has sailed.

Of course, in hindsight, we can argue that we'd be better off with Richard's low salary (creating huge payroll flexibility) over Peavy...but it's ridiculous to make such argument from a long-term perspective, after four starts. Premature evaluation...

We can go on and on about the Swisher trade (which would leave us with Ryan Sweeney possibly playing CF and not needing to acquire Rios)...but we need to find a solution, recriminations about the past (and I'm one of the first to bring them up, I'll admit) are wasted at this point.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)

As someone highlighted somewhere else on this site, all of those players we gave up (to SD) are struggling mightily, with the exception of Clayton Richard. We lost some depth, but none of those other three were going to make much of a difference to the long-term future of this team IMO. Now I suppose you could argue they'd provide KW with "added bullets" for his trading gun, but that boat has sailed.

Of course, in hindsight, we can argue that we'd be better off with Richard's low salary (creating huge payroll flexibility) over Peavy...but it's ridiculous to make such argument from a long-term perspective, after four starts. Premature evaluation...

We can go on and on about the Swisher trade (which would leave us with Ryan Sweeney possibly playing CF and not needing to acquire Rios)...but we need to find a solution, recriminations about the past (and I'm one of the first to bring them up, I'll admit) are wasted at this point.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)
I'm inclinded to agree with the notion that we're not going to get markedly better until Ozzie is no longer filling out the lineups. I do think we'll improve, but there's no defense for some of the things Ozzie has been pulling. They defy general baseball logic and reason. With any luck he'll be managing the Braves next year.

Filling out the line up is Ozzie's job as the manager. I don't see him or anyone else getting fired. We still have about 147 games left to go so there is always hope that things start to gel

Edited by elrockinMT

In future seasons, we'll reflect on this year and realize it did benefit us in several ways --

1. Top 10 Draft Pick

2. End of rotating DH

3. End of listening to Guillen's opinion on how to construct a roster

4. End of Kotsay and Vizquel (although there's always going to be the next Kotsay and Vizquel as long as we have anyone on the bench).

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
In future seasons, we'll reflect on this year and realize it did benefit us in several ways --

1. Top 10 Draft Pick

2. End of rotating DH

3. End of listening to Guillen's opinion on how to construct a roster

4. End of Kotsay and Vizquel (although there's always going to be the next Kotsay and Vizquel as long as we have anyone on the bench).

Hopefully it will be the end of Guillen, too. I am sick of his horrible managerial moves and what's more, I am sick of his antics. All the stupid Twitter stuff, Oney, Web sites and everything else. I want a manager who only cares about the team, not these superfluous marketing ploys. His gig was funny for a couple years, but it's stale and detracts from his ability to manager. Maybe instead of updating his stupid Twitter account, he should be scouting the no-name lefty who will be one-hitting his team in the 7th inning.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Filling out the line up is Ozzie's job as the manager. I don't see him or anyone else getting fired. We still have about 147 games left to go so there is always hope that things start to gel

Filling out the lineup is the managers obligation. Filling it out in a semi-competent fashion should be his duty.

ehh, if we're jumping off this cliff, then KW has to go as well. Ozzie didn't put the team together, KW did. And as much as it blows ass, batting Nix instead of Vizquel isn't going to make a s*** bit of difference. The magical lineup doesn't make that big of a deal, its the players you have to put in that lineup - which falls on KW.

And if you say "well KW listened to Oz", well then he shouldn't have, its on him. But would anyone want KW gone? I wouldn't, he just needs to take charge of the roster.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
ehh, if we're jumping off this cliff, then KW has to go as well. Ozzie didn't put the team together, KW did. And as much as it blows ass, batting Nix instead of Vizquel isn't going to make a s*** bit of difference. The magical lineup doesn't make that big of a deal, its the players you have to put in that lineup - which falls on KW.

And if you say "well KW listened to Oz", well then he shouldn't have, its on him. But would anyone want KW gone? I wouldn't, he just needs to take charge of the roster.

If KW had taken charge of the roster...what would he have done differently? Would he have traded Beckham? That would have improved the roster. Dumped Quentin? Dumped Pierzynski? Given Podsednik $10 million?

we.re still not even out of the first month guys. Our starting rotation is as much to blame as the offense...THIS TEAM IS BUILT ON ITS STARTING PITCHING AND WILL GO AS FAR AS THE STARTING PITCHING TAKES US.

on a side note what teams are gonna be looking to acquire a closer?? and what might they give up for Jenks?? We've got Thornton, Santos, and Putz that look like they can all close, we know 2 of the 3 can and the other, Santos, just looks flat out unhittable. I'd put Santos or putz out there so you still have thornton in a lefty role with one of the RHers.

I was amazed how many people on this site bought into the stupid rotating DH idea in the off season and into Pierre being a productive player. I am glad to see you guys coming around.

I still don't think the Peavy trade was bad though. It was a risk worth taking and KW didn't give up anybody I remotely cared about.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
I still don't think the Peavy trade was bad though. It was a risk worth taking and KW didn't give up anybody I remotely cared about.
You'll notice I did not mention Peavy. He'll be a stud soon enough, just needs to get his command about him.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
I was amazed how many people on this site bought into the stupid rotating DH idea in the off season and into Pierre being a productive player. I am glad to see you guys coming around.

The rotating DH idea is not stupid and can work well. The problem is having Kotsay & the 2010 versions of Vizquel & Jones (still not sold he'll keep it up) in that position.