What a disaster this rotating DH NL lineup idea is...

Steve9347

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
The rotating DH idea is not stupid and can work well. The problem is having Kotsay & the 2010 versions of Vizquel & Jones (still not sold he'll keep it up) in that position.

what makes the idea stupid is the fact that they are rotating bench players in the DH spot. if they intended to rotate above average productive major league hitters in that spot, like DHs are supposed to be, that it would be fine. but the plan was to rest guys and rotate in non-starters. so when i say the idea is stupid i mean the whole concept as the white sox defined it.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
we.re still not even out of the first month guys. Our starting rotation is as much to blame as the offense...THIS TEAM IS BUILT ON ITS STARTING PITCHING AND WILL GO AS FAR AS THE STARTING PITCHING TAKES US.

on a side note what teams are gonna be looking to acquire a closer?? and what might they give up for Jenks?? We've got Thornton, Santos, and Putz that look like they can all close, we know 2 of the 3 can and the other, Santos, just looks flat out unhittable. I'd put Santos or putz out there so you still have thornton in a lefty role with one of the RHers.

Our starting pitching needs to get better, no doubt about that. But the elephant in the room is the offense. We are scoring 3.6 runs per game. I don't care how lights out your pitching is, 3.6 runs per game is horrible. This is not 1950, we need to score runs as we are in the American League. If the plan was to not score runs, and hope that every pitcher absolutely shut down the opposition, then it was a bad plan and we can look forward to a frustrating year.

Pick you poison-

2010 Pierre - Vizquel - Jones

2009 Wise - Lillibridge - Anderson

I remember sitting at games in the first half last year where our bottom of our order was Wise/Lillibridge/Anderson and going it can't get any worse, except now the equivalent of those guys (albeit with name recognition) are at the top of the order.

Kenny is trying to put together the 2000 all-star team...

This goes on for 3 more weeks all those old bums need to be banished and lets see our deep farm system, I heard hawk pre-season state it is the best farm system we have ever had since he has been with the club so lets see it so we can see who is real and who isn't so when it comes time to dump our players that have market value we know what holes need to be filled.

Edited by chiguy79

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Jesus man we're not even out of April yet and people have dug the grave? I'm cynical but even I'm not THAT cynical.

:huh:

We're already six games behind a much better team. Grave digging seems a better option then sunshine and lollipops.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
KW could have easily signed any of these guys....

BA/OBP/SLG

DH Matsui .302/.380/.587

DH Damon .327/.431/.400

DH Vlad .327/.367/.418

also

Podsednik .449/.526/.469

Though its also sad when our best hitter(maybe top 3) is making 500k a year and is playing DH w/ 10 gold gloves.

None of those guys Play the defense required to be a rotating DH.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
KW could have easily signed any of these guys....

BA/OBP/SLG

DH Matsui .302/.380/.587

DH Damon .327/.431/.400

DH Vlad .327/.367/.418

also

Podsednik .449/.526/.469

Though its also sad when our best hitter(maybe top 3) is making 500k a year and is playing DH w/ 10 gold gloves.

Did he have the $6-8 million that each of those 3 guys cost?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
I was amazed how many people on this site bought into the stupid rotating DH idea in the off season and into Pierre being a productive player. I am glad to see you guys coming around.

I still don't think the Peavy trade was bad though. It was a risk worth taking and KW didn't give up anybody I remotely cared about.

I never bought into it and a still feel we need a good bat

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Filling out the lineup is the managers obligation. Filling it out in a semi-competent fashion should be his duty.

Players have to produce and Ozzie can't control what they don't do with the bat. They have to produce so a manager can make moves

Hopefully it will be the end of Guillen, too. I am sick of his horrible managerial moves and what's more, I am sick of his antics. All the stupid Twitter stuff, Oney, Web sites and everything else. I want a manager who only cares about the team, not these superfluous marketing ploys. His gig was funny for a couple years, but it's stale and detracts from his ability to manager. Maybe instead of updating his stupid Twitter account, he should be scouting the no-name lefty who will be one-hitting his team in the 7th inning.

This right here is what I am sick to death of for the past 2 years. The hitters just act like they don't care. zombies with sticks in their hands.

How can you possibly say this about the man who brought home a world series in 2005? 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!foreverandever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus man we're not even out of April yet and people have dug the grave? I'm cynical but even I'm not THAT cynical.

It's easy to be cynical when you see guys like Kotsay, Omar, Teahen, Jones, et. all out there and when Rios is one of your big boppers at a robust .250. Everybody's cynical. You been reading the papers? The clubhouse is dead. Oz has been all over the place with his comments.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
It's easy to be cynical when you see guys like Kotsay, Omar, Teahen, Jones, et. all out there and when Rios is one of your big boppers at a robust .250. Everybody's cynical. You been reading the papers? The clubhouse is dead. Oz has been all over the place with his comments.

You're not really complaining about Jones, are you?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)

How can you complain about Jones and Teahen, the 2 highest OBP on the team?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
How can you possibly say this about the man who brought home a world series in 2005? 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!foreverandever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So count you in as a member of the "2005 needs to be forgotten about" tribe? In that case, I hope you're not also a member of the "OMGz the Twinz are the greatest organization in baseballlll even thought they have't done anything in 20 years" club

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
So count you in as a member of the "2005 needs to be forgotten about" tribe? In that case, I hope you're not also a member of the "OMGz the Twinz are the greatest organization in baseballlll even thought they have't done anything in 20 years" club

Should it be forgotten? No. Should people stop dwelling on 2005? Yes.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Hopefully it will be the end of Guillen, too. I am sick of his horrible managerial moves and what's more, I am sick of his antics. All the stupid Twitter stuff, Oney, Web sites and everything else. I want a manager who only cares about the team, not these superfluous marketing ploys. His gig was funny for a couple years, but it's stale and detracts from his ability to manager. Maybe instead of updating his stupid Twitter account, he should be scouting the no-name lefty who will be one-hitting his team in the 7th inning.

White Sox Record when hitting 2 or more Home Runs: 6-1.

White Sox Record when playing "small balls" and hitting 0 or 1 home runs: 0-10.

White Sox Home Runs in 2009: 184

3B - Less: Jason Nix HRs (Beckham to 2B): -2

3B - Plus: Mark Teahan 2009 Home Runs: 12

OF - Less: Jermaine Dye Home Runs: -27

OF - Plus: Andrew Jones 2009 Home Runs: 17

DH - Less: Jim Thome 2009 Home Runs: -23

DH - Plus: Juan "Flea" Pierre 2009 Home Runs: 0

Adjusted 2009 Home Runs by 2010 starters: 161.

Last White Sox team to hit less than 184 Home Runs: 1999 Chicago White Sox: 162 HRs, 75-86 record.

The last I checked the White Sox play in one of the top 3 home run parks in MLB and in the American League. If they played at the real Comiskey Park when the CF fence (in 1977 - the year of the South Side Hit Men) was 445 feet from home Ozzie's "small balls" may have made sense. Today, playing "small balls" in a home run park and home run era is asinine.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
This right here is what I am sick to death of for the past 2 years. The hitters just act like they don't care. zombies with sticks in their hands.

2 years? Try about 15 years. They never hit a pitcher they haven't seen before well. This is a White Sox tradition right here.

ozzie is the man. Only coach I would want right now. I think I would first vomit, and then stop being a fan of the white sox for a couple weeks or so if they brought in one of those typical p**** player's coaches.

• 2 weeks later...