What a disaster this rotating DH NL lineup idea is...

Steve9347

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
While not surprising, is this individual act alone a fireable offense?

He's put up a combined .608 OPS over the last 3 years.

And that makes the .380 OPS he's putting up this year look good.

I think he had a productive out at one point tonight.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Pierre still doesn't have an extra-base hit is abominable

I can't believe Pierre has 3 rbis and beckham six. That is totally impossible to believe.

And Teahen seven. Whooopieeeeee.

How can this be possible??

If Ozzie was playing instead of managing now at whatever age he is, he'd have had as many, likely more RBIs than Pierre, Teahen and Becks and that is simply amazing.

Danks, who is not ready, would have more RBIs than those guys.

Just saying. Some of our guys' production is the worst ever imaginable. Like somebody stated, a pitcher would have way more RBIs than Pierre.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
While not surprising, is this individual act alone a fireable offense?

Are you serious?

That alone is a fireable offense.

Let alone he's led Vizquel off (albeit, not at DH) multiple times this year. Vizquel is toast. He should not be on a Major League roster.

It's bad enough that Vizquel was in the lineup. It's worse that he was the DH. First of all, that means that he was the best hitter the Sox had on the bench to fill the role of a purely offensive spot in the lineup. Jeeeez! That's really pathetic.

If Omar had to start the game, why wasn't he playing somewhere in the infield?

He could have played third, and let Teahen DH. That way he would have at least had a chance to contribute on defense, which is the only thing he still does well.

Moreover, it would have provided some rationale, and cover for Ozzie to explain why he was starting. Having him DH makes the decision to start Omar look really bad.

It's almost like Guillen is trying to get fired.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 15, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)
It's bad enough that Vizquel was in the lineup. It's worse that he was the DH. First of all, that means that he was the best hitter the Sox had on the bench to fill the role of a purely offensive spot in the lineup. Jeeeez! That's really pathetic.

He could have played third, and let Teahen DH. That way he would have at least had a chance to contribute on defense, which is the only thing he still does well.

Moreover, it would have provided some rationale, and cover for Ozzie to explain why he was starting. Having him DH makes the decision to start Omar look really bad.

You are right, there is absolutely zero reason to have Omar DH. Why not play him in the field? How about 3B? Teahen has shown he has no clue how to play there. It may have saved a run or 2 having Omar there last night.

There's a reason Omar, who has been in the big leagues 22 seasons, had never DHed until last night. Actually a couple, but Ozzie just thinks he knows more than anyone else.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
You are right, there is absolutely zero reason to have Omar DH. Why not play him in the field? How about 3B? Teahen has shown he has no clue how to play there. It may have saved a run or 2 having Omar there last night.

There's a reason Omar, who has been in the big leagues 22 seasons, had never DHed until last night. Actually a couple, but Ozzie just thinks he knows more than anyone else.

I heard on the radio before the game that the last time Vizquel DHed was two games with the Mariners in 1993. So that means the entire decade he was about 27 to 37 years old in the AL, not one manager thought it was a good idea to DH him. Yet Ozzie decided to do it when the guy is 43 years old. f*** that.

Scratch that, I was wrong, which it makes it worse. Nobody in his entire career chose him as a DH even once, but Ozzie does now. Ugh.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 15, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
I heard on the radio before the game that the last time Vizquel DHed was two games with the Mariners in 1993. So that means the entire decade he was about 27 to 37 years old in the AL, not one manager thought it was a good idea to DH him. Yet Ozzie decided to do it when the guy is 43 years old. f*** that.

I believe last night was his first ever start as a DH. He is, or at least was, a magician with the glove. There was zero reason to DH him last night when you have a butcher at 3B.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 15, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
I've been trying to think of what amongst the multitude of things that a manager can pull would be an immediately fireable offense. I think DH'ing Omar Vizquel might be it. I really do.

Welcome to my thread and my bandwagon. I am happy to have you on board.

I personally thought Vizquel hitting leadoff was the fireable offense, but Ozzie even one-upped himself.

There was zero reason to DH him last night when you have a butcher at 3B.

What do you mean? We were told after the trade he'd be fine at third base. The Royals had screwed him around moving him all over the place. I hate the winter when all these moves are justified. Then you see the guy play and blah. Same with Pierre. He's crap. But they sell him all winter as our new great leadoff man. Sure.

Our team would be .500 at least if we brought back all of last year's regulars for this season, including Thome and Dye and Pods, leaving Beckham at third. This team should have stood pat if it was going to field a horses*** everyday lineup like this one.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 15, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)

I'm becoming more and more confident that this is the case.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)

Wow.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
I have zero issues with that.

I just don't see the percenantage in putting your second best defensive option for the infield in the OF, when you have guys who can play the OF on the bench.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 15, 2010 -> 07:25 PM)
I just don't see the percenantage in putting your second best defensive option for the infield in the OF, when you have guys who can play the OF on the bench.

Was Nix in the OF this year?

Last year there's plenty of reasons. We had weak backup OF's, and younger IF's (Ramirez, Getz, Fields, Beckham) all of whom stood to benefit from additional at bats...as did Nix. If we didn't think Nix was going to be a full time starting IF (and guys with .500 career OPS's against RHP tend to not be), then if we wanted to give him some at bats to develop him, trying him as a utility guy in corner OF spots makes sense to me.