What would you be willing to give Danks to extend

caulfield12

into year one of Free Agency?

Since he's basically the most valuable player on our entire roster (yes, over Beckham...although some would argue Gordon because he's an everyday player and cheaper, but Danks is getting closer and closer to elite status, left-handed, Santana-Lite)...how high do you think the organization is going to be willing to go, knowing we MIGHT lose Buehrle sooner than later?

The whole idea of having the same deal on the table as Floyd doesn't hold as much water anymore. You have to treat Danks differently, and that's not just based on four 2010 starts...it's the accumulated evidence from 2008-2010.

How much pressure does KW put on him...to imply he will deal him if he doesn't extend as he has done in the past as a negotiating tactic? Does Danks really want to play out the string on one year deals and then test the free agency waters? How much will Danks get on the open market?

How does D2 figure into the considerations, the fact that he's pretty close to the majors and playing with his bro, which is darned cool.

What kind of package would you have to get in return to consider dealing D1?

What are the odds that Danks is the starting pitcher for the Chicago White on Opening Day in 2013?

Well, let's start with this idea.

Blackburn and Floyd are at $14 million/4 years, I think....something like that. Slowey wants the same deal, basically.

Now I'll throw out a name just for argument's sake, because it's current/topical:

Zobrist and the Rays have agreed to a five-year contract extension, the St. Petersburg Times reports.

Spin: The deal is guaranteed through Zobrist's arbitration years and includes team options for 2014 and 2015, his first two years of free agency. Zobrist narrowly missed Super Two eligibility for arbitration this winter, but guaranteed money for at least the next three seasons (financial terms will be revealed later on Friday) is a nice vote of confidence from the Rays after his breakout 2009 campaign.

This would be one possibility for the Sox, a two year deal for Danks (not year to year or going arb) with a team option for 2013.

Zobrist is getting $30 million guaranteed, so, I think I'd offer JD1 $33-39 million for 3 years, if he agrees to the club option or simply making 2013 a guaranteed contract year. Or perhaps a "mutual option." Considering what we are paying Peavy and Buehrle, what we paid Contreras, it doesn't seem like such a bad or unfair deal at all. You might have to go into the low 40's to get it done or risk losing him....or being forced to trade him.

It's not going to make Gavin Floyd very happy, that's for sure. But we can't just let our best player walk, either.

Edited by caulfield12

Lester's deal

2009 – $1 M

2010 – $3.75 M

2011 – $5.75 M

2012 – $7.625 M

2013 – $11.625 M

2014 – $13 M or $250,000 buyout

I guess the other contract we'd have to look at would be Fausto Carmona....that was $15 million.

But Lester's deal was signed after Year 2, Danks' would be after Year 4....so a Danks deal would start basically at the 2011 step in the Lester contract:

It would work out to $38 million for 4 year for JD1, average yearly value of $9.5 million per season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
into year one of Free Agency?

Since he's basically the most valuable player on our entire roster (yes, over Beckham...although some would argue Gordon because he's an everyday player and cheaper, but Danks is getting closer and closer to elite status, left-handed, Santana-Lite)...how high do you think the organization is going to be willing to go, knowing we MIGHT lose Buehrle sooner than later?

The whole idea of having the same deal on the table as Floyd doesn't hold as much water anymore. You have to treat Danks differently, and that's not just based on four 2010 starts...it's the accumulated evidence from 2008-2010.

How much pressure does KW put on him...to imply he will deal him if he doesn't extend as he has done in the past as a negotiating tactic? Does Danks really want to play out the string on one year deals and then test the free agency waters? How much will Danks get on the open market?

How does D2 figure into the considerations, the fact that he's pretty close to the majors and playing with his bro, which is darned cool.

What kind of package would you have to get in return to consider dealing D1?

What are the odds that Danks is the starting pitcher for the Chicago White on Opening Day in 2013?

I'd offer a him this:

2011: $3M

2012: $4.5M

2013: $6M

2014: $7.5M

2015: $9M

2016: $12M Team Option/$0.5M Buyout

2017: $15M Mutual Option/$0.5M Buyout

The base is 5yr/30M like he reportedly wants, but he could earn up to $27M more, making it 7yr/57M.

The mutual option would make it so the Sox won't be locked into the deal for 2017, but will allow Danks some control of his situation when he's 31.

I don't ever trade D2, especially when Danks isn't under contract.

The package I'd expect in return would be something big, I'd be shipping off both D1 and D2. I figure since they both dumped Boras for the Sox, you'd owe them as much. I'd need at least the others teams top prospect, along with two or three B prospects.

If Buehrle is still a member of the team in 2013, he's Opening Day Starter. If not, Danks will.

I think keeping D2 is the solution. They want to play on a team together.

Yeah I know this is just a business but they together dropped Boras which constitutes some form of loyalty. He does deserve a decent extension if he breaks out like most of us hope and predict.

What I'd be willing to give Danks would depend on a lot of other factors (how he pitches this year, how Floyd pitches this year, how Peavy pitches this year, if Mark really wants to retire after 2011, if the Sox play halfway decent ball later this year, etc.). I'd wait until this winter and came up with a long-term plan before putting together an offer for him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
What I'd be willing to give Danks would depend on a lot of other factors (how he pitches this year, how Floyd pitches this year, how Peavy pitches this year, if Mark really wants to retire after 2011, if the Sox play halfway decent ball later this year, etc.). I'd wait until this winter and came up with a long-term plan before putting together an offer for him.

If he'd sign an extension tomorrow, I'd sign him to it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
If he'd sign an extension tomorrow, I'd sign him to it.

What if Mark asks for a reasonably-priced 3-year extension, Peavy ends up posting a 1.20 WHIP, and Floyd has a good year?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
What if Mark asks for a reasonably-priced 3-year extension, Peavy ends up posting a 1.20 WHIP, and Floyd has a good year?

Konerko's contract ends this year and that will save some money. Pierzynski's ends and that will save some money. And salary overall has actually been pretty stagnant for a couple years now. If you give D1 a 5 year extension and your finances go in the toilet, the only way that possibly hurts you is if he blows out his arm.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Konerko's contract ends this year and that will save some money. Pierzynski's ends and that will save some money. And salary overall has actually been pretty stagnant for a couple years now. If you give D1 a 5 year extension and your finances go in the toilet, the only way that possibly hurts you is if he blows out his arm.

My point wasn't the salary commitment, but the lack of balance on the team. If you're committed to Peavy, Buehrle, and Floyd for the next few years and will likely have Hudson in the rotation next year, it might makes sense to deal Danks for a couple of young bats. He's going to be worth a ton with a couple of arb-eligible years left. (It may also be worth it to give PK an extension.)

I generally agree that locking up Danks would be a good thing (especially if Mark is truly done after next year). However, there are circumstances where dealing him may put the Sox in a better position to win.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
My point wasn't the salary commitment, but the lack of balance on the team. If you're committed to Peavy, Buehrle, and Floyd for the next few years and will likely have Hudson in the rotation next year, it might makes sense to deal Danks for a couple of young bats. He's going to be worth a ton with a couple of arb-eligible years left. (It may also be worth it to give PK an extension.)

I generally agree that locking up Danks would be a good thing (especially if Mark is truly done after next year). However, there are circumstances where dealing him may put the Sox in a better position to win.

You extend D1; you can still deal him for bats if you think that's the right move. He's probably more valuable if you can buy out an Arb year or two.

And anyway...no, you can't have too much starting pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
You extend D1; you can still deal him for bats if you think that's the right move. He's probably more valuable if you can buy out an Arb year or two.

Having 25 starting pitchers is where I'd draw on the line for the MLB club.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)

This isn't a bad strategy, but you still limit his trade market if you attach a guaranteed $30M+ contract to him. A team like the Rays very well may give up somebody like Upton for two arb years of Danks, but would probably not trade for that contract.

I'm all for giving extensions to excellent home-grown pitching... and I do hope that Danks stays in Chicago for a long time. But I can't imagine how bad this offense is going to be next year without PK and Jones. And it's not like Flowers or D2 have shown that they can hit major-league pitching yet.

I think our rotation in 2006 was somewhere around the $50-55 million mark, with Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland and Vazquez, with McCarthy waiting in the wings.

That was a huge chunk of payroll. We'll never see a rotation that eats up that much in terms of resources ever again.

You can never have too much pitching, but you can have too much expensive pitching or pitching that is budget exploding, which affects the other areas of the ballclub in significant ways.

The Sox would be rather lucky to lock him up to a deal that looks like this:

'11: $6M

'12: $9M

'13: $12M (first year of free agency)

'14: $14M (second year of free agency)

That's 4 years, $41M guaranteed with no option. Allowing him to hit free agency at age 30. I think you have to guarantee 4 years, they'd be incredibly lucky to include a 5th year team option.

You have to pay a premium when the player is only 2 years shy of free agency.

The Sox would be rather lucky to lock him up to a deal that looks like this:

'11: $6M

'12: $9M

'13: $12M (first year of free agency)

'14: $14M (second year of free agency)

That's 4 years, $41M guaranteed with no option. Allowing him to hit free agency at age 30. I think you have to guarantee 4 years, they'd be incredibly lucky to include a 5th year team option.

You have to pay a premium when the player is only 2 years shy of free agency.

I think after today's performance you have to seriously think he is going to have the break out year and is now going to be worth the extension. Man if our other starters can start picking up maybe we can turn it around. GO SOX!!!