Arizona requires you to carry your papers

Balta1701

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 04:38 AM)
That's not the same thing as amnesty. You want to get rid of them all and make them start over if they want to come back? Ok, fine. Valid point. Now how in the f*** are you going to do that?

exactly.

oh and by the way, we want smaller government too.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
Sending them all back is impossible (not impractical) but voters aren't really that bright and generally don't understand anything that takes more than about 2 sentences to explain and can't be bothered with it (I'm serious).

If you stop illegal employment and do not allow participation in entitlement programs, there is no incentive to to come in illegally. But the thing is, the GOP wants the super cheap labor, so they go the route of 'guest worker program'. No pathway to citizenship.

The Democrats want these new immigrants to get on the entitlement programs and vote Democrat. So anything less than voting citizen is unacceptable.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
There's still incentive even if you stop entitlement programs. There are (or at least were!) jobs here; there aren't any in Mexico or a lot of other C.A./S.A. countries.

Which is why you severly punish employers who get caught. Then there wouldn't be the jobs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Which is why you severly punish employers who get caught. Then there wouldn't be the jobs.

You need very defined and very strict standards on what constitutes a violation or you're just going to have employers not hiring any brown people. That sort of regulation and enforcement costs money. Lots of money.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
You need very defined and very strict standards on what constitutes a violation or you're just going to have employers not hiring any brown people. That sort of regulation and enforcement costs money. Lots of money.

Like I said before, by that logic, you have just made sure that no one who has health problems will ever get a job again.

and the same thing could hold true with legal looking, but fake documents. what if someone hires an individual who they believe is legal, but ends up not to be.

guess its like a liquor store selling beer to a minor with a fake id. their employee looked at the id, believed it was real and made the sale. what happens to the store???

(on a side story, i once worked at a walgreens back in the day when they sold alcohol. Got hit with a underage sting where the clerk didn't check/ask for the ID and sold the underage kid. 15 minutes later, he's walking out the front door in cuffs)

and clearly, America is confused.

A new Washington Post/ABC poll finds that 58 percent of Americans support Arizona's tough new immigration law. Support is strongest among Republicans and independents, and least strong among Democrats, especially minority Democrats.

Still, the support is qualified in some respects. Even as a majority of Americans back the measure — which gives law enforcement officers authority to check the immigration status of people they have stopped or arrested — 57 percent of Americans also favor giving illegal immigrants who are already in the country a chance to become legal, if they pay fines and meet other requirements. Almost half of Republicans polled also support the path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

In another result that rubs against the logic of the Arizona law, just 46 percent of respondents agree that states should be able to make their own border policies.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
and clearly, America is confused.

A new Washington Post/ABC poll finds that 58 percent of Americans support Arizona's tough new immigration law. Support is strongest among Republicans and independents, and least strong among Democrats, especially minority Democrats.

Still, the support is qualified in some respects. Even as a majority of Americans back the measure — which gives law enforcement officers authority to check the immigration status of people they have stopped or arrested — 57 percent of Americans also favor giving illegal immigrants who are already in the country a chance to become legal, if they pay fines and meet other requirements. Almost half of Republicans polled also support the path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

In another result that rubs against the logic of the Arizona law, just 46 percent of respondents agree that states should be able to make their own border policies.

Not that confusing to me. I'm in each camp. I'm in favor of the law, I'm in favor of some sort of path towards citizenship (with qualifiers), and I think the federal gov't SHOULD be in control of the borders, but since they're content with loop holes/half-ass policy, you get the AZ law (which btw, does nothing to limit federal law, just changes the protocal in AZ for enforcing those laws).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Not that confusing to me. I'm in each camp. I'm in favor of the law, I'm in favor of some sort of path towards citizenship (with qualifiers), and I think the federal gov't SHOULD be in control of the borders, but since they're content with loop holes/half-ass policy, you get the AZ law (which btw, does nothing to limit federal law, just changes the protocal in AZ for enforcing those laws).

i was just thinking... in a very crude comparison... is this situation "similar" to say California walking a tight rope around Federal Drug Laws with Pot Laws/Legislation.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
Yeah, I mean we all know that in reality illegals are no worse (and are sometimes better) than our own worthless citizens, but that doesn't justify them coming into the country illegally.

Bingo. But it does explain why the only government action in the past 40 years has been Reagan granting amnesty. It is a great budget help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arizona Immigration Law: Sections BLOCKED By Federal Judge

PHOENIX — A federal judge on Wednesday blocked the most controversial parts of Arizona's immigration law from taking effect, delivering a last-minute victory to opponents of the crackdown.

The overall law will still take effect Thursday, but without the provisions that angered opponents – including sections that required officers to check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws.

The judge also put on hold parts of the law that required immigrants to carry their papers at all times, and made it illegal for undocumented workers to solicit employment in public places.

U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton ruled that the controversial sections should be put on hold until the courts resolve the issues.

The ruling came just as police were making last-minute preparations to begin enforcement of the law at 12:01 a.m. Thursday and protesters were planning a large demonstrations to speak out against the measure. At least one group planned to block access to federal offices, daring officers to ask them their immigration status.

U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton received hundreds of threats at her court offices within hours of her ruling on Arizona’s tough and controversial immigration law.

“She has been inundated,” said U.S. Marshal David Gonzales, indicating his agents are taking some seriously. “About 99.9 percent of the inappropriate comments are people venting. They are exercising their First Amendment rights and a lot of it is perverted. But it’s that 0.1 percent that goes over the line that we are taking extra seriously.”

Gonzales would not say if any threats were coming from recognized hate groups or if Bolton had received threats at her home. Nor would he discuss any extra security measures, which U.S. marshals routinely provide federal judges.

“It is policy at a juncture like this to increase security at the courthouse. Beyond that, I cannot discuss security matters,” Gonzales said.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)

They don't really say if the threats were from people who were pissed that she put a stay on part of the law, or if they were pissed that she only dod half of what they wanted? I keep reading stories about people still protesting and holding sit-in's, etc since in thier eyes it wasn't enough of a ruling.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
They don't really say if the threats were from people who were pissed that she put a stay on part of the law, or if they were pissed that she only dod half of what they wanted? I keep reading stories about people still protesting and holding sit-in's, etc since in thier eyes it wasn't enough of a ruling.

Other posters here, please raise your hand if you think it's even a remote possibility that she's getting threats for not going far enough.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
So, it's okay to label millions of people based on a few threats?

Where did I do that? I did 2 things...post the article noting that it was happening, and ridicule the notion that it was pro-immigration activists doing the threats.