Arizona requires you to carry your papers

Balta1701

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
:lolhitting

You all are the ones who have to bash what a piece of s*** every tea party candidate is, and redefine what "racist" is now, not me.

Don't sell yourself short, you've done a nice job of helping to define racist and tea party around here :cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The UFW launched its national “Take Our Jobs” campaign on June 24, inviting U.S. citizens and legal residents to replace hundreds of thousands of immigrant field laborers, most of whom are undocumented. Since then, more than 3 million people have visited the campaign website, www.takeourjobs.org. Of those visitors, 8,600 have expressed an interest in seeking employment as farmworkers. Despite the numbers, only seven people have taken the UFW up on its offer to take a job in agriculture.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
The UFW launched its national “Take Our Jobs” campaign on June 24, inviting U.S. citizens and legal residents to replace hundreds of thousands of immigrant field laborers, most of whom are undocumented. Since then, more than 3 million people have visited the campaign website, www.takeourjobs.org. Of those visitors, 8,600 have expressed an interest in seeking employment as farmworkers. Despite the numbers, only seven people have taken the UFW up on its offer to take a job in agriculture.

Ag jobs are not the issue. Most people readily admit that there needs to be some sort of workable system to allow for migrant workers. Now if all the illegal busboys, dishwashers and fast food workers would want to just quit, you may see some teenagers scrambling for those jobs, as anythign else for them is non-existent right now.

This must fit into this discussion somehow.

HOH hears that Stephen Colbert will be on Capitol Hill on Friday morning. A tipster says the comedian and Comedy Central host is slated to testify before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security and International Law. Colbert has teamed up with the United Farm Workers and will discuss immigrant agricultural workers.

Holy Hell...that post is actually on topic!

Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert is slated to testify at a congressional hearing Friday on immigration titled “Protecting America’s Harvest.”

One Republican source said Colbert will be testifying “in character,” the Bill O’Reilly-like muse Colbert uses for his show.

Rodriguez replied, “Americans don’t want to work in the fields. It’s very difficult work, it requires a lot of expertise, and the conditions are horrid,” describing a recent day in which the temperature was in excess of 100 degrees.

Colbert retorted, “it was over 100 degrees this entire week here, I did my show, 22 minutes a night!”

Rodriguez then touted the Take Our Jobs initiative.

“It’s inviting American citizens that want to work in the fields, that want to take those jobs, that want to do that agricultural work, to come out and do it. So we put up a website, takeourjobs.org and we’re inviting Americans throughout the United States to come and try to work in agriculture if they believe that immigrant farm workers are taking away good American jobs.”

Colbert asked how many people had taken up the offer. The answer was three, so Colbert said “Make that four, I’ll do it.”

Since then Colbert reportedly participated in Take Our Jobs, and Rep. Zoe Lofgren, chairman of the immigration subcommittee, was there for that day.

Sources said the plan for Colbert to testify arose out of Colbert and Lofgren sharing that day together.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
What purpose does Colbert bring to the conversation? He's a liberal in conservatives clothing. Most of his bits are actually MOCKING the GOP. I just dont get it.

Its called parody. Also, you are aware he is there to talk about the jobs plan, because he participated in it, right?

I'm not sure what you are asking here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
Its called parody. Also, you are aware he is there to talk about the jobs plan, because he participated in it, right?

I'm not sure what you are asking here.

You are asking a guy to participate "in character" about a somewhat serious topic. You cant a take a word that comes out of his mouth seriously.

I watched about 3 minutes of it and it just was uncomfortable.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
You are asking a guy to participate "in character" about a somewhat serious topic. You cant a take a word that comes out of his mouth seriously.

I watched about 3 minutes of it and it just was uncomfortable.

OK, so you are saying it doesn't make sense for him to testify before Congress about it in character. I get it now. Yeah, I think I agree, but I'd have to see it myself.

So the media spent time on that, instead of the testimony from Coates about how the Justice Dept was told to not go after minority defendents, specificly the New Black Panther Party. I guess you have to have priorities in the news coverage, eh?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
So the media spent time on that, instead of the testimony from Coates about how the Justice Dept was told to not go after minority defendents, specificly the New Black Panther Party. I guess you have to have priorities in the news coverage, eh?

Just watch the network news tonight.

I honestly hadn't heard about that - what's the deal?

What's going to get the ratings? $ucks, but that is America

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
I honestly hadn't heard about that - what's the deal?

The guy talked about how he was ordered NOT to testify inthe hearings that were against the NBPP in the voter intimidation case, and how one of the bosses outright said that they were not going to bring any case up that was against minorities because minorities could only be intimidated, not the other way around. Also about how he was transferred because he wanted to testify and kept asking why he wasn't allowed to. Essentially shows how racially politicized the Justice Dept has become.