Arizona requires you to carry your papers

Balta1701

Arizona lawmakers OK several changes to immigration law

PHOENIX -- Arizona lawmakers have approved several changes to the recently passed sweeping law targeting illegal immigration.

If Gov. Jan Brewer supports the changes, they will go into effect at the same time as the new law, 90 days from now.

The current law requires local and state law enforcement to question people about their immigration status if there's reason to suspect they're in the country illegally, and makes it a state crime to be in the United States illegally.

One change to the bill strengthens restrictions against using race or ethnicity as the basis for questioning and inserts those same restrictions in other parts of the law.

Changes to the bill language will actually remove the word "solely" from the sentence, "The attorney general or county attorney shall not investigate complaints that are based solely on race, color or national origin."

Another change replaces the phrase "lawful contact" with "lawful stop, detention or arrest" to apparently clarify that officers don't need to question a victim or witness about their legal status.

A third change specifies that police contact over violations for local civil ordinances can trigger questioning on immigration status.

The law's sponsor, Republican Sen. Russell Pearce, characterized the race and ethnicity changes as clarifications "just to take away the silly arguments and the games, the dishonesty that's been played."

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Phoenix, said allowing immigration-status contacts for civil violations such as weed-infested yards or too many occupants in a residence could spur complaints of racial profiling.

Pearce defended that provision, saying there shouldn't be a restraint on when police act on a reasonable suspicion that somebody is in the country illegally. "It is a lawful contact," Pearce said.

The follow-on legislation approved Thursday also would change the law to specify that immigration-status questions would follow a law enforcement officer's stopping, detaining or arresting a person while enforcing another law.

Brewer's spokesman said that makes it clear that police cannnot question people just on the suspicion they're illegal immigrants.

Brewer likely will sign the follow-on bill, said the spokesman, Paul Senseman.

Pearce said that change doesn't require a formal arrest before questioning but helps make it clear that racial profiling is not allowed.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Democrats respond to Arizona law with an immigration proposal including an electronic nationally required ID card that would be required for everyone applying for a job.

I'm sure the people who defended the Arizona law will be bullish on this proposal.

Democratic leaders have proposed requiring every worker in the nation to carry a national identification card with biometric information, such as a fingerprint, within the next six years, according to a draft of the measure.

The proposal is one of the biggest differences between the newest immigration reform proposal and legislation crafted by late Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

The national ID program would be titled the Believe System, an acronym for Biometric Enrollment, Locally stored Information and Electronic Verification of Employment.

It would require all workers across the nation to carry a card with a digital encryption key that would have to match work authorization databases.

“The cardholder’s identity will be verified by matching the biometric identifier stored within the microprocessing chip on the card to the identifier provided by the cardholder that shall be read by the scanner used by the employer,” states the Democratic legislative proposal.

BTW...whoever's writing the Democrat's acronyms lately deserves a promotion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
Democrats respond to Arizona law with an immigration proposal including an electronic nationally required ID card that would be required for everyone applying for a job.

I'm sure the people who defended the Arizona law will be bullish on this proposal.

BTW...whoever's writing the Democrat's acronyms lately deserves a promotion.

I actually would like to see better tools available to employers to confirm the legal right to work. This, combined with a guest worker program, would make my day.

As the academic year winds down, Creighton School Principal Rosemary Agneessens faces a wrenching decision: what to do with veteran teachers whom the state education department says don't speak English well enough.

The Arizona Department of Education recently began telling school districts that teachers whose spoken English it deems to be heavily accented or ungrammatical must be removed from classes for students still learning English.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
I actually would like to see better tools available to employers to confirm the legal right to work. This, combined with a guest worker program, would make my day.

Couldn't there be a way to use state IDs/drivers licenses into this instead of a federal level id program?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
Couldn't there be a way to use state IDs/drivers licenses into this instead of a federal level id program?

Frankly, no, because of the hodgepodge of laws between different states regarding ID requirements and the Social Security/ID system that the banks have rigged in their favor.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Frankly, no, because of the hodgepodge of laws between different states regarding ID requirements and the Social Security/ID system that the banks have rigged in their favor.

A national ID program just makes me feel icky. I dunno. As Tex said, the IDEA of having some sort of a way of authenticating worker status is totally fine. I dunno. A national card program gives me the creeps.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)

There could be. One issue, and I've faced this myself checking birth certificates, is when there are a multitude of variations, it makes it harder to check. Also, immigration is a federal responsibility, not state. Shifting the burden to the state to implement seems wrong.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
A national ID program just makes me feel icky. I dunno. As Tex said, the IDEA of having some sort of a way of authenticating worker status is totally fine. I dunno. A national card program gives me the creeps.

I was more uncomfortable before. Now I see it as more of a "super social security" card.

Official statement from MLBPA

New York, NY, Friday, April 30, 2010 … The following statement was issued today by Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director Michael Weiner regarding the immigration law recently passed by the state of Arizona.

“The recent passage by Arizona of a new immigration law could have a negative impact on hundreds of Major League players who are citizens of countries other than the United States. These international players are very much a part of our national pastime and are important members of our Association. Their contributions to our sport have been invaluable, and their exploits have been witnessed, enjoyed and applauded by millions of Americans. All of them, as well as the Clubs for whom they play, have gone to great lengths to ensure full compliance with federal immigration law.

“The impact of the bill signed into law in Arizona last Friday is not limited to the players on one team. The international players on the Diamondbacks work and, with their families, reside in Arizona from April through September or October. In addition, during the season, hundreds of international players on opposing Major League teams travel to Arizona to play the Diamondbacks. And, the spring training homes of half of the 30 Major League teams are now in Arizona. All of these players, as well as their families, could be adversely affected, even though their presence in the United States is legal. Each of them must be ready to prove, at any time, his identity and the legality of his being in Arizona to any state or local official with suspicion of his immigration status. This law also may affect players who are U.S. citizens but are suspected by law enforcement of being of foreign descent.

“The Major League Baseball Players Association opposes this law as written. We hope that the law is repealed or modified promptly. If the current law goes into effect, the MLBPA will consider additional steps necessary to protect the rights and interests of our members.

“My statement reflects the institutional position of the Union. It was arrived at after consultation with our members and after consideration of their various views on this controversial subject.”

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
I thought it was already a law to carry your legal alien card or whatever at all times. I know my father in law had to carry his at all times before he bcame a citizen.

I'm going to post an article commenting on this from a guy named Guillen...and it's NOT OZZIE!!!!

Take, for example, this scenario: An 18-year-old from Venezuela playing in the rookie league jumps in a friend’s car to head to the grocery store. The friend rolls through a stop sign. A police officer witnesses the infraction. The law, signed last week by Gov. Jan Brewer, requires that “where reasonable suspicion exists … a reasonable attempt shall be made … to determine the immigration status of the person.” The Venezuelan player, accordingly, is asked to furnish paperwork proving his legal residence, a new burden of proof under SB 1070. If he happens to have forgotten his passport and work visa at home, his friend would get a traffic ticket and the player would get significantly more.

“Under that scenario,” said Mike Philipsen, the communications advisor for the Arizona Senate Republicans, who drew up the bill, “he could be detained.”

In other words, hauled off to jail, even though he is in the United States legally.

“I’ve never seen anything like that in the United States, and Arizona is part of the United States,” Kansas City Royals designated hitter Jose Guillen(notes) said. “I hope police aren’t going to stop every dark-skinned person. It’s kind of like, wow, what’s going on.

“I was 17, 18. I’d forget things. Kids do.”

“There’s no distinguishing characteristic between an undocumented alien and someone who’s here legally,” said Glen Wasserstein, a partner with the Immigration Law Group in Washington. “How do you possibly have reasonable suspicion? Everybody of Hispanic orientation will be scrutinized.

“Why would you bring your passport and visa with you?”

Currently, players don’t. One major league executive said his team’s director of minor league operations collects the passports of foreign players and keeps them in a safe at the team’s minor league facility. The policy is in place so the teenage players don’t lose the paperwork, which includes a P Visa that the government issues to “internationally recognized entertainers or athletes.”

Teams in touch with MLB to discuss SB 1070 have proposed a similar idea to Hernandez’s: In lieu of passports and visas, a baseball-issued identification card that shows a player’s legal status.The baseball-issued identification card proposed by MLB and several teams would help. Even the non-English speakers would know: This is your ID. Never, ever forget it.

“It’s just crazy we’re even talking about this,” Guillen said. “If you don’t have your passport, what does that mean? You’re going to jail? I don’t know what to say to that.”

He tried to come up with something. Though Guillen speaks fluent English these days, he couldn’t find the right words. It took SB 1070 to render him the same as he was 16 years ago when he arrived in the U.S. hoping to make a life for himself: speechless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
I might disagree, but the D-Backs owner is a major Republican donor in the state of AZ, the kind of guy who could have made a difference if he'd opposed the law.

FWIW he released a statement saying he opposes the law (I'm sure it's not really based in any actual principle or belief though)

I was just thinking now that all "illegal looking" people in Arizona will be carrying paperwork rpoving they are citizens, that means if they are robbed, it will make it easier for illegals to have proper paperwork.

Since Arizona's controversial immigration bill was signed many around the nation have called for boycotts on the state.

Civil rights organizations banned together at the state capitol Friday to announce the launch of the website www.boycottarizona.org.

Some local businesses are already feeling the financial fallout. The Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association say 19 meeting have been cancelled because of Senate Bill 1070.

These groups represent an economic impact of $6 million to the state.

Ben Bethel says, “It's been a very quick swift action like I've never seen before.”

Link