What can Jenks get us

2nd_city_saint787

I posted this in another thread but it got looked over

What teams are gonna be looking to acquire a closer?? and what might they give up for Jenks?? We've got Thornton, Santos, and Putz that look like they can all close, we know 2 of the 3 can and the other, Santos, just looks flat out unhittable. I'd put Santos or putz out there so you still have thornton in a lefty role with one of the RHers.

Its obvious our team would benefit from adding a big bat and i think Jenks is the best expendable piece we have.

one idea i got is Matt Gamel or Casey McGehee, Trevor Hoffman is getting to the end of his career and theres no room for both of these guys.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
I posted this in another thread but it got looked over

What teams are gonna be looking to acquire a closer?? and what might they give up for Jenks?? We've got Thornton, Santos, and Putz that look like they can all close, we know 2 of the 3 can and the other, Santos, just looks flat out unhittable. I'd put Santos or putz out there so you still have thornton in a lefty role with one of the RHers.

Its obvious our team would benefit from adding a big bat and i think Jenks is the best expendable piece we have.

one idea i got is Matt Gamel or Casey McGehee, Trevor Hoffman is getting to the end of his career and theres no room for both of these guys.

Gerardo Parra. :headbang Dbacks have NO bullpen right now.

Jenks makes a lot of money. I believe and I have no proof of this or knowledge, that if the Sox could have received a pretty good player for him in return this past offseason, he wouldn't be a White Sox. This season, he has looked real good at times, and very shaky other times. I don't think he could net them much unless the Sox were willing to eat a lot of salary or he gets on a roll, and if he's on a roll saving games, the Sox are probably winning so you don't want to move him.

Nah, no one that good. Like maybe Santos Rodriguez or a CJ Retherford type. We could kick in money and a prospect and maybe get Gamel, but I doubt that even.\

edit - to McGehee et al. Obv. Soriano is a bum with a bad contract.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
Jenks makes a lot of money. I believe and I have no proof of this or knowledge, that if the Sox could have received a pretty good player for him in return this past offseason, he wouldn't be a White Sox. This season, he has looked real good at times, and very shaky other times. I don't think he could net them much unless the Sox were willing to eat a lot of salary or he gets on a roll, and if he's on a roll saving games, the Sox are probably winning so you don't want to move him.

That's how he looked last year too. However, I am inclined to keep him unless Putz and Thornton become the new closers

Jenks would likely net us a mediocre prospect at best. The real motivation to moving him at the deadline would be to save a couple million dollars.

That said, if we're out of contention, moving him at the deadline makes sense. Because trading his rights this winter will net us zilch. Nobody's going to give up something to pay a declining closer $8.5M+ next year.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Jenks would likely net us a mediocre prospect at best. The real motivation to moving him at the deadline would be to save a couple million dollars.

That said, if we're out of contention, moving him at the deadline makes sense. Because trading his rights this winter will net us zilch. Nobody's going to give up something to pay a declining closer $8.5M+ next year.

Unfortunately we can only get a Brandon Allen type player, I would say.

I remember KW complaining a few years ago (at a trade deadline) about the astronomical price for relief arms.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
At this point, just free up his salary. He should have never been brought back this season.

I disagree. The bullpen was horrible last year and Jenks was one of its few decent arms. Ozzie could've moved Thornton to closer, but that would've left Putz, Linebrink, and Pena to cover the 7th and 8th innings. Ouch. Santos pretty much came out of nowhere, and his minor league numbers don't exactly suggest that he's a can't-miss prospect.

What can he get us?

Saves on most nights he's in the game with a lead.

But the whole reason we are discussing this is that we can do without the 2 out drama he seems to create with each save opportunity. Just normal 1-2-3 9th innings is what we need, me thinks...