What can Jenks get us

2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
What can he get us? I'm thinking 30+ saves.

And about 10 blown saves if his WHIP doesn't come down.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
What can he get us?

Saves on most nights he's in the game with a lead.

Not when he's allowing multiple base-runners every time out.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Jenks could easily find a groove as well.

I hope so, that way we can maybe get something decent for him around the deadline. Jenks should have been traded years ago now though. Might be too late to really get anything for him, which is unfortunate.

We probably did wait 2 years too late.

Last offseason there was a glut of relievers. It does beg the question, was Matt Thornton or Dotel capable of being the closer in 2008? Linebrink?

I don't think so....without Jenks, no ALCD crown in 2008.

I feel they did look at and serously consider what options there were out there as far as trades...after 2008, but nothing overwhelming came up, and then you had the fact his salary really started to jump up in ARB years, as well. He would be tradeable, but that salary is going to scare off 18-20 clubs, and the high budget teams mostly have expensive closers already.

You don't pay $7.5 million for a nasty set-up guy that has a high WHIP and screw in his arm.

Edited by caulfield12

Last offseason there was a glut of relievers. It does beg the question, was Matt Thornton or Dotel capable of being the closer in 2008? Linebrink?

I feel they did look at and serously consider what options there were out there as far as trades...after 2008, but nothing overwhelming came up, and then you had the fact his salary really started to jump up in ARB years, as well. He would be tradeable, but that salary is going to scare off 18-20 clubs, and the high budget teams mostly have expensive closers already.

You don't pay $7.5 million for a nasty set-up guy that has a high WHIP and screw in his arm.

Well, if we are not able or willing to trade him then the only logical route that could play out is that he is offered ARB one time for next year and walks as a FA after 2011. At least we get B or A type FA comp picks for him depending on what value he is assigned. Still not bad.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
And about 10 blown saves if his WHIP doesn't come down.

Not when he's allowing multiple base-runners every time out.

If. Pretty good statement.

He will allow at least 1 runner per inning the entire season. This includes outings of zero runners and outings of 2 runners. Thats baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)

You do when he has Jenks' track record, you have no better in-house options, and your bullpen outside of Thornton is pretty much terrible (nobody could've foreseen a converted SS becoming our best bullpen arm this winter). Better to pay Bobby year-by-year than to throw a $10M+ multi-year deal at somebody like K-Rod and hope that he doesn't blow his arm out.

I don't want Bobby around next year, but bringing him back this year was absolutely the right thing to do.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
You do when he has Jenks' track record, you have no better in-house options, and your bullpen outside of Thornton is pretty much terrible (nobody could've foreseen a converted SS becoming our best bullpen arm this winter). Better to pay Bobby year-by-year than to throw a $10M+ multi-year deal at somebody like K-Rod and hope that he doesn't blow his arm out.

I don't want Bobby around next year, but bringing him back this year was absolutely the right thing to do.

Finally someone that agrees with me that our bullpen isn't as great as the numbers may portray them to be.

NO.

I was referring to the fact that very few teams would trade for him at that salary. An elite team doesn't take the risk unless their closer goes down and there's nothing else available on the market, that's the only way.

Maybe the top 3-5 payroll teams could do what the Mets did and make Putz set-up, or the Cubs with Zambrano.

But they're not going to give up much in return young talent-wise.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
NO.

I was referring to the fact that very few teams would trade for him at that salary. An elite team doesn't take the risk unless their closer goes down and there's nothing else available on the market, that's the only way.

Maybe the top 3-5 payroll teams could do what the Mets did and make Putz set-up, or the Cubs with Zambrano.

But they're not going to give up much in return young talent-wise.

I could see the Rays or a team like the Twins (if they weren't in the AL Central) trading for Jenks. Despite the sticker shock of $7.5M, he isn't owed a cent more than that. That said, I agree that the Sox would get a mediocre prospect at best in return. Dealing Bobby would mostly be a salary dump.

As long as they had the patented Bobby Thigpen/Roberto Hernandez "Heart Attack/Heartburn" insurance, the Rays or Twins are welcome to go for it.

I would ask for Neshek in return and see if they would bite...I would even kick in some cash for him, and put him in Cooper's hands. He would give us the perfect complimentary pitcher, totally different approach like Bradford or Takatsu. We have a plethora of hard throwers. It's why Williams or Arnie Munoz Lite makes sense out of the pen. ALMOST. Not quite KW.

Don't worry. I also do not believe the bullpen is as strong as people make it out to be. I think Pena, Putz, Williams are all big question marks. 2 of those 3 will get a lot of the innings. Jenks is also entering that territory.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Don't worry. I also do not believe the bullpen is as strong as people make it out to be. I think Pena, Putz, Williams are all big question marks. 2 of those 3 will get a lot of the innings. Jenks is also entering that territory.

Williams is terrible, Pena is a solid middle relief arm, and Putz is going to be a boom or bust pitcher. It's not the best bullpen in the league, but it's not a bad bullpen.

The time to get rid of Jenks was during the offseason when we could have used those funds elsewhere. Now that he's here and we can't spread that money around anymore, it's retarded to think about further weakening our baseball team. If anything, we need to *add* to the bullpen. We have to be counting on an occasionally painful learning curve for Santos, overall ineffectiveness from Williams, a garbage Linebrink in the 2nd half, and DL time here and there for Jenks and Putz. We should be in shopping mode right now.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
The time to get rid of Jenks was during the offseason when we could have used those funds elsewhere. Now that he's here and we can't spread that money around anymore, it's retarded to think about further weakening our baseball team. If anything, we need to *add* to the bullpen. We have to be counting on an occasionally painful learning curve for Santos, overall ineffectiveness from Williams, a garbage Linebrink in the 2nd half, and DL time here and there for Jenks and Putz. We should be in shopping mode right now.

No one wanted Jenks

Peace of mind and restful sleep.

No thoughts of suicide when he comes in against the Twins (or Brew Crew) and Carlos Gomez is due up in the 9th.

Two other possible answers.

YES, I KNOW, WE HAVE TO KEEP HIM. Sorry, need the teal or green I suppose.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
Worse case scenario you may have a 30 year old reliever on the decline after 2011. May or may not be good enough to net Type B status which gets us a supplemental pick I think.

If we keep him for 2011 and he doesn't significantly increase his numbers, it won't matter what draft status he is, you won't be offering him arbitration.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Worse case scenario you may have a 30 year old reliever on the decline after 2011. May or may not be good enough to net Type B status which gets us a supplemental pick I think.

Who KW will then turn around and say they can't afford to pay his signing bonus because of the electricity bill at USCF and the money we already invested into Viciedo and Dave Wilder's bar in metro Phoenix.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)

Getting rid of Bobby would've been a step in the wrong direction. One could make a strong argument that $7.5M is too much for a guy who posted a 1.28 WHIP last year, but it's a lot less than what we would've paid for an established FA closer. If Kenny would've waived Jenks this winter and gone with cheap replacements, that would've created another hole in an already-shaky bullpen.

In addition, cheap FA relief pitchers are a major crapshoot. Even expensive, established guys can blow up in your face (Linebrink). Going with a $7.5M guy in his prime with a nice track record for one more year is a lot safer than going cheap and risking 2007 all over again, or paying out the ass for a FA and restricting the budget for multiple years.

Valverde and K-Rod didn't get anything close to what some were speculating, Fernando Rodney, etc.

Jenks is FAR from the worst contract at $7.5 million....it's just that he was a huge plus when he was at a low salary number, like Santos. Now he's kind of an ongoing headache for the FO to figure out what to do with, especially if the season goes further south in April/May (instead of putting off the real misery for later like the gruesome 2007 "squad")

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
Valverde and K-Rod didn't get anything close to what some were speculating, Fernando Rodney, etc.

K-Rod got $33M. Valverde got $14M. Rodney got $11M after posting a laughable 1.47 WHIP in his one full year as a closer. I'd take one year of Jenks at $7.5M over two years of Rodney at $11M. And it's a moot point, because the Sox typically don't over-pay for FA closers anyway.

Jenks is FAR from the worst contract at $7.5 million....it's just that he was a huge plus when he was at a low salary number, like Santos.

Well, yeah, but that's how baseball contacts work. Teams under-pay good players in pre-arb and often over-pay those same players in arb years. You're not going to be able to ride a guy with Jenks' track record at $3M/year forever.

Now he's kind of an ongoing headache for the FO to figure out what to do with, especially if the season goes further south in April/May

Not really. He's under contract through this year, and it's highly unlikely that he'll be in a Sox uniform next year. If the Sox fall out of contention, they can deal him at the deadline for a bag of Big League Chew and save a couple million.

The trick now is to find a cheap, in-house replacement for Bobby. Santos may be that guy, but he still has a lot to prove.

Edited by WCSox

I just remember a lot of idle speculation at the beginning of the offseason that K-Rod was talking numbers like $50-100 million. He didn't, in the end, come close to sniffing those numbers, and rightfully so.

There's a lot of wear and tear on that arm/shoulder, and he does have a pretty violent delivery that screams DL in the 2nd half of his career.

You're right about buying FA closers. The closest we've been to doing that was acquiring Koch, and KW definitely learned a "MONEYBALL" lesson with that move...although Cotts turned out to be a very valuable piece, he was far from the centerpiece, that was getting the "fireballing" closer we've never had to replace the crafty Foulke, who got by with guile, moxie and guts against all but the very best teams.

Edited by caulfield12