AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
But that argument is still sketchy. Of course PK/TCQ hit well when they are hitting HR's. Hitting HR's is usually an indicator of doing at least something right in the box, I wouldn't expect a .150 hitting TCQ to be hitting bombs left and right.

It all comes down to this really: if you honestly believe Alexei, AJ, Pierre, TCQ, and Beckham are going to hit ~.200 for the season, then theres nothing to convince you otherwise. But if you realize that these guys are all healthy, not coming off the juice, and are not old (save for AJ) yet...they will eventually get around their career numbers in which case you just hope the 4 guys actually hitting remain hot.

I don't believe those five are going to stay that cold all season. However, to be fair, we have basically one good full season each upon which we are projecting success for Q, Beckham and Ramirez.

I also don't believe Jones and Konerko will continue to hit 300 points above their career OPS and Teahen will continue to hit 150 above his.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Hate to think where the White Sox would be right now without John Danks.

KW's been criticized a lot for some moves that he's made, I think you can argue that selling high on B-Mac and getting back Danks could be his best ever move as a GM.

Not to mention Sosa/Alvarez/Fletcher for Baines, the best trade in franchise history.

I'd argue Jenks, Sergio Santos, Borchard/Thornton, Freddy Garcia for Morse/Reed/Olivo, Floyd for Garcia, Quentin deal (depending on how things end up with Carter a bit, still have to look long-term as well as short), Alexei Ramirez find and contract for 2008, Jose Contreras for Loaiza, there's a TON of very good ones. Signing Esteban Loiaza b4 2003, turning him into Contreras, which was basically the key factor for 2005, IMO. We rode that guy for 4-5 months, never have we had a better pitcher who was THE best in all of MLB (4-5 month stretch) in my White Sox memory.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
I know but Thorton was warming in the pen and it was not soft toss. I am not sure why he was throwing but Linebrink and Pena were up in 6th and 7th to get their work in.

Thornton was warming to come into the game. They didn't want him to, but they also wanted to win that game. If Bobby gave up the tying run, Thornton would have been in.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
But that argument is still sketchy. Of course PK/TCQ hit well when they are hitting HR's. Hitting HR's is usually an indicator of doing at least something right in the box, I wouldn't expect a .150 hitting TCQ to be hitting bombs left and right.

It all comes down to this really: if you honestly believe Alexei, AJ, Pierre, TCQ, and Beckham are going to hit ~.200 for the season, then theres nothing to convince you otherwise. But if you realize that these guys are all healthy, not coming off the juice, and are not old (save for AJ) yet...they will eventually get around their career numbers in which case you just hope the 4 guys actually hitting remain hot.

well now you can't have it both ways. if you think those guys are going to get hot and hit towards their career numbers you can't also expect the hot guys to keep hitting like they are. I still see Jones as a low average hitter but he might hit 30 bombs. I don't think he is a #3 hitter eventually.

this weekend was nice to get some wins but lets not start sucking each other off just yet. this is still not a good offense

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
Thornton was warming to come into the game. They didn't want him to, but they also wanted to win that game. If Bobby gave up the tying run, Thornton would have been in.

I also took that as Ozzie sending Bobby a message, with minimal embarrassment. Nice to see Bobby respond positively.