Dayan Viciedo

Jordan4life_2007

So at what point can one become legitimately concerned about Dayan Vicedo? I wanted to give him 100 PA (he's had 65 PA so far) before I could make my own assessment. But even with that, because I obviously don't get to watch Knight games, I can only go by stats. Which I hate doing. But the stats are indeed ugly:

.222/.234/.302/.536

BB/K ratio 1/20

1 HR.

Again, 65 PA is a small sample size. I know this. I don't have to be reminded. And I know he's extremely young for AAA. Which is why I questioned him being there in the first place, as his performance in AA last season didn't at all justify the promotion. It appears to me that the organization possibly either grossly overestimated Viciedo or are trying to justify the 10 million dollar investment. It's really difficult to find positive scouting reports about the kid anywhere other than Whitesox.com or people associated with the White Sox.

I'd say we start getting legitimately concerned now. He was moved from third base due to poor defense. He has zero plate discipline. He cannot hit a breaking ball. From the few times I've seen him live, the bat speed and power do look special. But if he's not making contact it's not worth anything

I'm not overly optimistic.

I thought he should be repeating AA, especially considering the position change, the complete lack of plate discipline, and the struggling with any sort of breaking pitch. He still looked rather out of shape in spring training as well. The only positives I have are that he's still very young, and has incredible bat speed. It would be silly to write him off completely, but at this point I'm really not expecting much.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
I'd say we start getting legitimately concerned now. He was moved from third base due to poor defense. He has zero plate discipline. He cannot hit a breaking ball. From the few times I've seen him live, the bat speed and power do look special. But if he's not making contact it's not worth anything

Most hitters even in the majors can't hit a breaking ball either, unless it doesn't really break. The key is, they know how to lay off them, or if in defensive batter mode, slap it away somewhere. It appears Viciedo can't do that, at least not yet.

The guy is still 21 in AAA. I'm not ready to write him off. He started last year this way too, then got better each month. If he does that this year, he should be ready to crush AAA in 2011, at age 22, which is fine by me. He's under team control for another 3 years after that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)
The guy is still 21 in AAA. I'm not ready to write him off. He started last year this way too, then got better each month. If he does that this year, he should be ready to crush AAA in 2011, at age 22, which is fine by me. He's under team control for another 3 years after that.

You know that's incorrect, right? We have him for the full set of arbitration years assuming he makes the big leagues at some point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
You know that's incorrect, right? We have him for the full set of arbitration years assuming he makes the big leagues at some point.

I thought it was a total of 6 years of control (4 in contract, two in Arb). Is it more than that?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
I thought it was a total of 6 years of control (4 in contract, two in Arb). Is it more than that?

Well yeah, 6 years under our control once he gets to the show. He's like Strasbourg would be; he got a big signing bonus/early contract. If he quit and went to go work in a nuclear plant, he'd lose a lot of money, but if his first contract ends before he's racked up enough time to be arb-eligible and he's made the big leagues, the Sox can just renew his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
Well yeah, 6 years under our control once he gets to the show. He's like Strasbourg would be; he got a big signing bonus/early contract. If he quit and went to go work in a nuclear plant, he'd lose a lot of money, but if his first contract ends before he's racked up enough time to be arb-eligible and he's made the big leagues, the Sox can just renew his contract.

6 years after arrival? Well hell then, I'm not the least bit worried yet. If he does this year what he did last year - improve each month - then looks like he knows what he's doing in AAA in 2011... then I'm happy.

Bring back Swisher!!!!

Joking.

I mean, I bought into the hype too....and then disengaged a bit. I was even thinking he could make the team in 2009. It was the Alexei Ramirez Effect!

I should have known when we spend more than $5 million on amateur talent to watch out....of course, Borchard is the only other time we did that.

Better when we find players like Dye, Santos, Jenks, Quentin, Iguchi and Ramirez that are more "known entities" flying under the radar. Well, maybe the last two would be considered reaches by other organizations, that's why KW has gotten the reputation he has, for leaving no stone unturned because he has no choice with our dearth of legit prospects.

It's also how you end up with the likes of Aardsma, Sisco, Grilli, Masset, MacDougal, Floyd, Danks, Rios, Teahen, etc....KW COLLECTS FORMER FIRST ROUNDERS that he couldn't afford to sign when they were originally drafted by other teams.

Edited by caulfield12

it was time to get concerned last year when he had an OPS of .708, and only walked 23 times in 504 ABs ...i said that all throughout the last couple months last year and i got Roasted by alot of posters

i'm not counting on him ever being a difference maker in the majors....hes still young enough to prove me wrong, and i hope he does, but im not optimistic about him....especially since it sounds as if he will have to play 1b or DH, and he would have to DRASTICALLY improve offensively to justify being able to play one of those spots in the majors

That's THE question with Viciedo now.

Undoubtedly he will be shaky at 1B, he's not LH, he's too short to spear a lot of errant throws by Teahen and Ramirez and his hands aren't so soft. He doesn't have Brandon Allen's athleticism, basically. He has one plus tool right now, his bat. Unless you count arm strength at 1B....maybe he will go the SANTOS route, lol (or Jason Dellaero/Brooks Kieschnick).

He would have to put up an 850 (minimum) to 950 OPS to justify his contract and starting job. What are the odds?

It's the same discussion with Danks...can he legitimately put up a 725-775 OPS playing premium level defense at the next level? The odds seem better for Danks putting it together than for Viciedo, but things can just click and a player will just take off, like Thornton after one session with COOP.

Same thing w/ hitters. Rios was DEAD, Beckham and Peavy were THE men among boys. Look at them now...baseball is a "what have you done for me lately" sport, always has been, always will be. NOBODY thought Jones would play this well, nor does anyone realistically expect it to continue the entire season, right?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
it was time to get concerned last year when he had an OPS of .708, and only walked 23 times in 504 ABs ...i said that all throughout the last couple months last year and i got Roasted by alot of posters

i'm not counting on him ever being a difference maker in the majors....hes still young enough to prove me wrong, and i hope he does, but im not optimistic about him....especially since it sounds as if he will have to play 1b or DH, and he would have to DRASTICALLY improve offensively to justify being able to play one of those spots in the majors

I think there are some red flags, but he's still very young for his level. There's no huge rush to get him to the majors...the Sox have Konerko this year and decent stopgaps are always available for relatively cheap at 1B...Huff, LaRoche, Branyan...so the Sox just need to give him time to make sure he's ready before throwing him into the mix.