Thornton for a bag of baseballs?

dyuen

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Ok, the bolded guys dont make any sense to be on the list. I can almost include Masset because he wouldnt even be on our current bullpen, only guy he is better than is Randy Williams. Really, Aardsma and Rauch are the 2 that got away I guess... but Rauch was traded more for attitude than performance.

Harris is about as good or better than Pierre. Roughly .350 OBP and .750 OPS over the last three years. And The Fielding Bible ranked him as the #2 or #3 left fielder in baseball behind Carl Crawford.

Guerrier clearly would be in our pen, it's just that Marte played a key role for us in 2002-2004, and he had his moments but faded for us in 2005.

But any component of that 2005 team, hard to say you'd undo the trade that brought them into the fold. Even Vizcaino was important in his role that year, in spots.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
Aardsma would be on our roster. Masset would be long man, in Carrasco's underrated role, and spot starter. Cooper could keep working w/ him.

I would start Uribe as much as Ozzie plays Vizquel, who's 10+ years older and washed up.

Swisher would be DH or sharing time in the OF with Andruw Jones. Matsui/Damon could also be signed with all the money we're using on Rios. I think he had a pretty good year overall last year, you disgree?

Willie Harris could be doing better than Pierre for a fraction of the cost.

So could Ryan Sweeney.

Swisher wouldn't really have much of a role on this team, i'd much rather have Jones in the OF or DH than Swish. Willie Harris has been in the league long enough that it's evident to everyone in baseball that he is not a starter. He can be effective in short spurts and as a bench player, Pierre is just having a slow start, look at his career BA of 300 if you want an idea of the kind of production we can expect from him.

Matsui or Damon don't bring anything to the table that Rios isn't doing for us, except that neither of them can field anymore and they're both much older.

The grass is not ALWAYS greener.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Swisher wouldn't really have much of a role on this team, i'd much rather have Jones in the OF or DH than Swish. Willie Harris has been in the league long enough that it's evident to everyone in baseball that he is not a starter. He can be effective in short spurts and as a bench player, Pierre is just having a slow start, look at his career BA of 300 if you want an idea of the kind of production we can expect from him.

Matsui or Damon don't bring anything to the table that Rios isn't doing for us, except that neither of them can field anymore and they're both much older.

The grass is not ALWAYS greener.

Matsui and Damon would both bring OBP to the team, and that's something that neither Kotsay nor Pierre are bringing to the table right now. Oh, and they both bring a bit of power too, which is something Kotsay hasn't brought in 5 years and Pierre has never brought to the table. Yes, Rios is doing well too, but his performance has absolutely nothing to do with what Matsui or Damon would bring.

Exactly, the way I read it, it seemed as if the implication was that NONE of those players could improve this year's team.

Now we can debate Willie Harris vs. Juan Pierre until we're blue in the face, but everyone on this site could cite their 3-5 favorite offseason DH targets (LH) and obviously all of them would be upgrades over Kotsay.

It would be hard to find a LF who's playing much worse and adding less to the team than Pierre. Hopefully, that will change because we so rarely send money the other way or simply eat bad contracts. We suffer by having our roster semi-crippled by poor decision making.

Balta, you just made my point.

About a 5% possibility any GM in baseball could do worse with their LF situation. KW definitely made the right move with El Caballo being dumped, even though that trade for Pods was one of the most mystifying to casual Sox fans, more sophisticated fans saw the method in the madness sooner.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Now we can debate Willie Harris vs. Juan Pierre until we're blue in the face, but everyone on this site could cite their 3-5 favorite offseason DH targets (LH) and obviously all of them would be upgrades over Kotsay.

That's a good idea for a sig bit for myself.