Chicago Cops/Judges

BigSqwert

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
The bolded is the only part you can know. The earlier part, you could not possibly know.

I only worked in law enforcement for a couple years, and even in that short time, I saw numerous instances of cops covering for other cops who did something stupid. It happens plenty.

I don't believe it happens plenty at all.

It happens. But it doesn't happen plenty. Unless of course, you are counting very minor stuff like taking a pen and then lying about taking a pen.

But to say that in highly illegal situations cops cover up for other cops all the time...that's just not true. Like I said, most of these cops depend on their paychecks, and will depend on their pensions, and aren't going to risk them to save an idiot from being an idiot. I know you want to believe they will...but nay, they will not. Most cops don't even know other cops outside of their districts, they sure as hell don't know the judges and wouldn't go out of their way to cover for them in any such illegal dealings. Those days are like 1965, and they're over.

Hell, most cops don't know of cops IN their districts unless they happen to work the same shifts.

And for the record, I'm not defending that this guy is getting off, as he appears guilty as hell, but it's not my job to presume someones guilty no matter how bad it looks. This appears that he's getting off on a lot of technicals, which means he would be guilty if things were done properly, so in this case I hope this guy gets his someday. That said, the judge cannot just pretend things were done properly, that's NOT his job as a judge, his job WAS to toss this case even if we don't like it.

Edited by Y2HH

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
I don't believe it happens plenty at all.

It happens. But it doesn't happen plenty. Unless of course, you are counting very minor stuff like taking a pen and then lying about taking a pen.

But to say that in highly illegal situations cops cover up for other cops all the time...that's just not true. Like I said, most of these cops depend on their paychecks, and will depend on their pensions, and aren't going to risk them to save an idiot from being an idiot. I know you want to believe they will...but nay, they will not. Most cops don't even know other cops outside of their districts, they sure as hell don't know the judges and wouldn't go out of their way to cover for them in any such illegal dealings. Those days are like 1965, and they're over.

Hell, most cops don't know of cops IN their districts unless they happen to work the same shifts.

And for the record, I'm not defending that this guy is getting off, as he appears guilty as hell, but it's not my job to presume someones guilty no matter how bad it looks. This appears that he's getting off on a lot of technicals, which means he would be guilty if things were done properly, so in this case I hope this guy gets his someday. That said, the judge cannot just pretend things were done properly, that's NOT his job as a judge, his job WAS to toss this case even if we don't like it.

You keep turning my statements into extremes I didn't say. I didn't say all the time, I didn't say always, I didn't say highly illegal situations solely, and I certainly never said I blamed the judge for throwing the case out. I think the judge's decision to put aside the LT's testimony is questionable, but the ultimate decision pretty much had to be what it was.

Most cops are good. I say this a lot, and a lot of people don't believe me. Some are bad apples. The rate of bad apples varies from department to department. But even the good ones are human, and sometimes get caught up in the pressure of a situation. I think you are looking at this job protection thing the wrong way. If anything, they probably felt like they needed to let the guy off to protect their jobs, because of the backlash if they didn't.

You just cannot possibly say that there is ZERO chance this happens, as you stated earlier, because even if 99.9% of cops are good ones (which is too high a number), its still not 100%, nor does it account for the realities of the protective mindset. That mindset has its roots in good things - cops need to trust that their fellow officers will protect them when they need it. But it becomes perverted in situations like this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
You keep turning my statements into extremes I didn't say. I didn't say all the time, I didn't say always, I didn't say highly illegal situations solely, and I certainly never said I blamed the judge for throwing the case out. I think the judge's decision to put aside the LT's testimony is questionable, but the ultimate decision pretty much had to be what it was.

Most cops are good. I say this a lot, and a lot of people don't believe me. Some are bad apples. The rate of bad apples varies from department to department. But even the good ones are human, and sometimes get caught up in the pressure of a situation. I think you are looking at this job protection thing the wrong way. If anything, they probably felt like they needed to let the guy off to protect their jobs, because of the backlash if they didn't.

You just cannot possibly say that there is ZERO chance this happens, as you stated earlier, because even if 99.9% of cops are good ones (which is too high a number), its still not 100%, nor does it account for the realities of the protective mindset. That mindset has its roots in good things - cops need to trust that their fellow officers will protect them when they need it. But it becomes perverted in situations like this.

Well, that's fair, and that's mostly how I feel about it also. I just overhear people making very poor generalizations about the police these days, and I find it mostly annoying and uncalled for. Then again, people do this in relation to a LOT of things, and it's annoying on all accounts.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
I know a lot of police, and exactly ZERO of them have ever helped another cop cover illegal happenings in their careers, and exactly ZERO of them said they would ever do such a thing.

I stood right next to a cop while he was talking to another cop about how he got pulled over once for blowing a stop sign that he "always blows" (his exact words) near his house.

Once the cop that pulled him over found out he was also a cop, he shut his lights off and didn't issue a ticket.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
I stood right next to a cop while he was talking to another cop about how he got pulled over once for blowing a stop sign that he "always blows" (his exact words) near his house.

Once the cop that pulled him over found out he was also a cop, he shut his lights off and didn't issue a ticket.

A few years ago, the police in Hobart/Merrillville IN basically wound up in a ticket-writing war with each other after a similar situation happened and the first police officer didn't let the second one off.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
I know requirements change depending on where you are but I feel that all police officers should be required to have a 4 year college degree.

Some departments require that now. Mostly its the rich suburbs that do it - they pay more to fewer officers and can afford the higher standards. The only major metro department I know of that does is Denver, which I think requires either any 4 year degree, or a 2-year associates if its in a related disciplince (CrimJ, LE).

On the other hand, I know when I lived in Memphis, that department required only high school diploma or GED.

Chicago I am not sure of right now - I'd have to check.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
And the only reason I'm in favor of it is to help the maturity level of some of the people in the force. Four years of dedicating yourself to school helps build you as a person.

I'd actually agree that a college degree is at least favorable. If not required, then maybe use the rule Denver does that I noted earlier, or have a degree give you a points-advantage in being chosen to be hired. Something like that.

I don't think its NECESSARY to have a degree to be a good cop. But I think you'll have an overall better force by having more degreed people on it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
And the only reason I'm in favor of it is to help the maturity level of some of the people in the force. Four years of dedicating yourself to school helps build you as a person.

IN case you were curious, the current MINIMUM requirements to become a CPD officer...

Age: The minimum age requirement is 21 years of age. No person may be appointed as a probationary police officer after their 40th birthday. Proof of age must be provided at the time of application.

Driver's License: Applicants must present a valid driver's license at the time of application.

Education/Military Service: Applicants must have at least 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of credit from a college or university accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies responsible for evaluating two and four year institutions that grant Associate's and Bachelor's degrees.

OR

four years of continuous active duty in the armed forces of the United States

OR

30 semester (or 45 quarter) hours from a college or university accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies responsible for evaluating two and four year institutions that grant Associate's and Bachelor's degrees, and one year of continuous active duty in the armed forces of the United States.

Residency: Residency in the City of Chicago is required of all employees. Proof of residency will be required at the time of employment. Residency within Chicago is not required during the application and testing process.

Yea, CPD require an equilivant to an Associates Degree...but some are trying to get this requirement dropped so more minorities can be elegible for hire. My guess is this requirement would sooner be dropped than elevated to an even higher standard in the world we currently live in.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Kind of how the street scum all do the same, only against the police, all the time. So it's of no surprise the police are like this to me...when you have scumbags crying foul and making false accusations against cops on a daily basis, you'd begin to understand. And while them doing what they do will cause a few bad apples to get away with some bad stuff, it also prevents those bs false accusations from costing a lot of good police officers their jobs/livelihoods.

What kind of comparison is this, who actually has a positive view of street scum or defends them for being criminals? It doesn't make any sense to compare them to police officers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
What kind of comparison is this, who actually has a positive view of street scum or defends them for being criminals? It doesn't make any sense to compare them to police officers.

I didn't say it did, but it's one of the main reasons why police do tend to "look the other way" when it comes to defending their own kind. All of this sort of thing contributes to the bad in this world, on both ends.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
I know a lot of police, and exactly ZERO of them have ever helped another cop cover illegal happenings in their careers, and exactly ZERO of them said they would ever do such a thing.

You don't know that. Why would any of them tell YOU whether or not they covered for dirty cops? Why would any of them admit it to you no matter how well you know them? There's dirty cops that would take their indiscretions to the grave with them instead of tarnishing their image to people that idolize them, like you do.

I don't mind when the veteran cops look out for one another...they have been through a lot of wars together...

It's when the younger cops have the sense of power and entitlement and abuse it that I get angry.

Edited by iamshack

I would like to publicly apologize to Y2HH. :(

I didn't mean to strike a nerve, I just had many bad experiences with cops in my life, such as my own run-ins with the law, my dad getting beat up by cops for nothing, being subjected to unreasonable searches in other states, being harrassed by cops in Oak Lawn cause my name is the same as someone else's, and other stuff. :(

Sorry Y2HH. :( I didn't mean to be a prick.

At a preliminary hearing the next month, an expert on drivers under the influence testified that Ardelean's blood-alcohol level could have been 0.104 to 0.177 at the time of the crash, much higher than the legal limit. But prosecutors did not show Judge Donald Panarese Jr. the security video, and a bartender testified Ardelean was drinking shots of water. Panarese found there was no probable cause for the arrest

Prosecutors didn't show the video of him taking shots at the bar?

Bartender testified that the shots were WATER?

Is this a joke?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
Prosecutors didn't show the video of him taking shots at the bar?

Bartender testified that the shots were WATER?

Is this a joke?

And what does it even matter if he was taking shots of water. He could have been taking gallons of water, that doesn't mean he wasn't drinking at the same time.

What a f***ing joke.

This sort of evidence would be laughed at if this were a regular citizen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
And what does it even matter if he was taking shots of water. He could have been taking gallons of water, that doesn't mean he wasn't drinking at the same time.

What a f***ing joke.

This sort of evidence would be laughed at if this were a regular citizen.

No kidding. This is the type of blatantly obvious bulls*** that you'd expect to hear about in some 3rd world country. Not here.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
No kidding. This is the type of blatantly obvious bulls*** that you'd expect to hear about in some 3rd world country. Not here.

Unfortunately, it's not. This is exactly the sort of horses*** that flies when the system is protecting one of its own as opposed to looking to f*** a regular citizen because drunk driving is a cash cow for individual municipalities as well as the state.