Which ex-Sox Player Would You Want Back for 2010 Team?

jasonxctf

Which ex-Sox Player Would You Want Back for 2010 Team?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which ex-Sox Player Would You Want Back for 2010 Team?

• Jermaine Dye
    • Jim Thome
    • Aaron Rowand
    • Juan Uribe
    • Nick Swisher
    • Jose Contreras
    • Jon Garland
    • Clayton Richard
    • Scott Podsednik
    • Other

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My immediate vote went to Thome as we need a better option at DH. That being said, someone else would be gone, most likely an outfielder as you would stick Jones out there. So, would Pierre go away? I don't know.

Maybe I need to re-think my vote...

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Pods and his .385 BA, .453 OBP and 8/9 in SB's, on a 1 yr deal for 1.75M instead of 4M per for Pierre....which would have allowed us more $ to have gotten Damon or Matsui

I like the thought, but something tells me that even if the Sox had signed Pods they wouldn't have gone after Damon any harder. Plus, there's no guarantee that Pods would have performed the same with the Sox (however, you'd think it still would be better than Pierre).

Humberto Quintero. Just kidding.

I'll go with Frank Francisco and Chris B. Young or Ryan Sweeney.

Because Francisco makes our pen that much better, and Sweeney/Young don't soak up all of Rios' contract dollars.

Nobody could argue that Matt Guerrier wouldn't improve our pen. I'd STILL take Damaso Marte over Williams in a heartbeat and reunite him with Don Cooper.

Some would say Chris Carter as part-time DH (Jones would be playing OF) or Gio Gonzalez in the fifth spot OR long reliever/Williams' role.

Jon Link or Josh Rupe, nope!!

Uribe of course, have to get a shout out to him. He's the ONLY member of the franchise I've ever heard that Mark Buehrle would donate part of his own salary to keep in the fold. You didn't see him doing that with Thome or Dye. Juan was probably the most popular "across the board" (with white/black/Hispanic/Asian) player we've ever had in terms of how well-loved he was in the clubhouse. He was always in the middle of everything, smiling, having fun, loosening up the environment...he loves to play the game of baseball almost as much as Guillen does, it's never seeming like work for him, even at the end of another K resulting from an akward HR pull swing on an outside breaking ball. Great arm, strangest defensive mechanics that worked....Mr. Clutch RBI, Mr. RBI w/ Runner at 3rd and less than 2 outs, and a capable bunter as well. Remember Toby Hall and the pie incident? Uribe does that to Dye, you never hear a word about it, 100%.

That's why I like Uribe, for those who keep commenting on it.

DAVE WILLS OR JOHN ROONEY. Joking with you Ranger, you're going a good job, youngster! Keep it up...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
I like the thought, but something tells me that even if the Sox had signed Pods they wouldn't have gone after Damon any harder. Plus, there's no guarantee that Pods would have performed the same with the Sox (however, you'd think it still would be better than Pierre).

If they would have used Pods as a lefty DH and pinch runner/hitter I'd be happy but we all know Ozzie would have him play the field way too much.

I think the thing with Carlos Lee and Ordonez scaring everyone off is their contract numbers....they wouldn't fit now, they didn't fit in 2005, either.

Ray Durham out of retirement to take Kotsay's spot so Harrelson can say "I love to watch Ray-Ray run..." on a triple into the RCF gap.

Willie Harris for the Kotsay/Vizquel super-utility role.

But seriously, imagine all the other MLB boards missed HAVING Quentin, Danks, Floyd (think how much better PHIL would be now), Konerko, missed drafting Beckham, Teahen, Rios (well, SOME!!!), Andruw Jones (Rangers could use some "O" now), Thornton, Sergio Santos, Jenks, Pena, etc.

The PINAR DEL RIO BOARD AND CUBANO MISS ALEXEI.

And another shout-out to EL GRAN TITAN DE BRONZE and my 2010 avatar....the only White Sox jersey I ever considered buying after the age of 25.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Miguel Olivo is a catcher only in the loosest definition of the word.

He's a catcher in the same way Vizquel or Pierre are a threat to go yard (boo-yah!) in any given at-bat.

Great arm...the mental/strategic side of the game, preparation, working with pitchers, calling pitches and setting up opposing hitters....TOTAL FAIL. And it's sad, he has some great physical tools, speed for a catcher, etc.

Edited by caulfield12