Trib cracks open a new can of worms

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, it would be tempting. I'm not sure about the Rios idea, though. I wouldn't think that even freeing up his salary would be enough to sign Fielder to a long term contract. He will command (and get) at least $20 million a season. But, what if the Sox do not re-sign Konerko and AJ? Would that even be enough? I honestly don't see the Sox ever signing someone for that much money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)
If the Sox are making a playoff run, they aren't trading Danks or Floyd. I could see Danks in a deal if the Sox were out of it, but then they would have to have an extention in hand for Fielder.

I agree. Danks and Floyd were steals, and there's no way either one is going anywhere if the Sox are in it. A move like that wouldn't make any sense. And if they're out of it, why would they even consider going after Fielder? He'd only be a rental for 2011.

Edited by hogan873

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
What happens when the Supply of $25 million 1b/dh types available in trades is greater than the demand for them?

Well, there are some big markets that are going to be looking for first basemen in the next few years. Mainly, the Cubs and Mets, besides the Red Sox.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
Well, there are some big markets that are going to be looking for first basemen in the next few years. Mainly, the Cubs and Mets, besides the Red Sox.

The Cubs are not going to have $20-$30 million to spend on any one player with the messes that they have.

I would think that it's never going to happen, but you never know with KW. I think if Fielder did come here and sign a long term deal, there would have to be something in his contract about his weight. That guy is huge. And he's young now... how long are those knees going to hold up under all that weight? He reminds me of Mo Vaughn with the Mets. Let the boston red cubs trade for and sign Fielder, then the White Sox would only have to compete with the Braves and the Mets for Adrian Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
Never gonna happen. Just Rogers filling up space. Wrap your fish in this junk.

Best post I've read so far.

This team can hit, field, sometimes pitch or run the bases. One guy isn't going to change all of that. Let this season tank. I could hear Jim Mora now. "Playoffs?" "Playoffs?"

Since Kenny is into getting players past their prime, might as well get Cecil Fielder.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
Best post I've read so far.

This team can hit, field, sometimes pitch or run the bases. One guy isn't going to change all of that. Let this season tank. I could hear Jim Mora now. "Playoffs?" "Playoffs?"

Since Kenny is into getting players past their prime, might as well get Cecil Fielder.

LOL, in April, in a division with only one truly good competitor in it for the Sox (MIN). OK.

True, one guy can't make all the difference with his bat, but his presence can make a huge difference. If KW does make such a move and brings in a Fielder-type guy, I would be willing to bet that the entire club would be energized...as would the fans.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
True, one guy can't make all the difference with his bat, but his presence can make a huge difference. If KW does make such a move and brings in a Fielder-type guy, I would be willing to bet that the entire club would be energized...as would the fans.

The difference a guy like that could make goes beyond just the offensive upgrade at his position. We have an offense that is terrible right now, but its also obvious that this many guys aren't going to continue hitting that far below their norms. Adding in another bat can, indirectly, help wake up the beast.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
The difference a guy like that could make goes beyond just the offensive upgrade at his position. We have an offense that is terrible right now, but its also obvious that this many guys aren't going to continue hitting that far below their norms. Adding in another bat can, indirectly, help wake up the beast.

Good point. It could very well relax some of the more uptight guys on this team... San Quentin, I am looking at you.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Meh, no thanks. I would rather take Lance Berkman since he will come much cheaper.

True, but Fielder has one year of arb left after the current contract, so you'd get him for relatively cheap for a 2nd year. Berkman, I believe, has an expensive option for that next year.

I would think that it's never going to happen, but you never know with KW. I think if Fielder did come here and sign a long term deal, there would have to be something in his contract about his weight. That guy is huge. And he's young now... how long are those knees going to hold up under all that weight? He reminds me of Mo Vaughn with the Mets. Let the boston red cubs trade for and sign Fielder, then the White Sox would only have to compete with the Braves and the Mets for Adrian Gonzalez.

I agree Chet with the weight issue. It is much more pronouced with Fielder than what we just went through with jenks. I don't see him making ahuge effort to get in shape. That would have to be a negotitation tactic.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
I agree Chet with the weight issue. It is much more pronouced with Fielder than what we just went through with jenks. I don't see him making ahuge effort to get in shape. That would have to be a negotitation tactic.

Becoming a vegetarian is a pretty big step to take.