Trib cracks open a new can of worms

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
Buehrle + Jenks is probably the ideal package in terms of need for the Brewers. I just think that the ages and contracts of both players might turn the Brewers off.

If they had that kind of money to spend, they would just resign Fielder.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
It is going to be a pretty clear objective of the Sox to pick up a bat. I think things are going to pick up in July. They just can't keep selling this anemic offense as a product we will buy.

By July it is going to be too late. I am afraid that Hudson's value may have peaked last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Let's not get too worked up over a bad outing here.

I'm not. It has nothing to do with his bad starts. I just think his value was very high last year and he may have been looked at as a better pitcher than he really is. I still think he will be decent, just not a top of the rotation guy.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I'm not. It has nothing to do with his bad starts. I just think his value was very high last year and he may have been looked at as a better pitcher than he really is. I still think he will be decent, just not a top of the rotation guy.

His ceiling was never a top of the rotation guy and if anyone thought that, they were crazy to begin with. He's a good #3 at best. But with out rotation (if Peavy, Floyd get their head out of their ass soon hopefully, though Floyd was good his last outing, despite the boxscore showing, cause of Putz) he will be an outstanding #5. Still love him even after one bad start and one mediocre one. People don't even know if its possibly something physical. In either case, he's striking out more guys per IP than he did last year, which is a positive.

Edited by SoxAce

The thing to keep in the back of our minds is that with Konerko coming off of the books for $12 mil this year, and Buehrle only another year after that at $14 mil, we aren't that far away from being able to afford the money for a big time deal. It could be sooner if we could dump Jenks for anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
The thing to keep in the back of our minds is that with Konerko coming off of the books for $12 mil this year, and Buehrle only another year after that at $14 mil, we aren't that far away from being able to afford the money for a big time deal. It could be sooner if we could dump Jenks for anything.

But of course...think of what "Big time deal" means to us. We had huge numbers coming off the books last year, and added Rios and Peavy. That is a big time deal for us. And it's probably the largest level a team at our salary level should go to for any 1 player unless there's a huge surge of youth coming in.

And Buehrles isn't leaving unless he wants to, I think we all know that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
Well, there are some big markets that are going to be looking for first basemen in the next few years. Mainly, the Cubs and Mets, besides the Red Sox.

Oh, and the Mets at least for now are liking Ike Davis at 1b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Oh, and the Mets at least for now are liking Ike Davis at 1b.

What other teams will we be competing with for theses big-name/big-ticket 1Bs/DHs? Can we expect their value to decrease at all given the number of names out there with (possibly) few destinations, despite the precedent that Howard set with his contract?

Braves might if they aren't happy with Glaus.

Cubs might stick with Lee until at least 2012 - depending on his production.

Dodgers might want to upgrade Loney.

Giants could use a more powerful 1B than Huff.

Mariners could use a better option than Kotchman.

Mets may look if Davis slumps.

Red Sox may be interested, but Youkilis is already there.

Rockies have a few year$ left in Helton.

The Red Sox make the most sense in a Midas-ian sort of way.

The Cubs might be second, but not until the offseason - would they have the pieces to do it and would Milwaukee trade in the division?

However, Seattle makes a lot of sense as a dark horse. Griffey will retire, they have a decent minor league system, and they've been known to spend the cash on occasion.

The M's make the most sense to me.

They can hang close in the AL West with their pitching, speed and defense....he's a difference maker to put that offense into "average," Sweeney/Griffey/Bradley are lousy (well, Milton might rebound still and get hot, very streaky hitter) and allow them to compete with the Angels and possibly take the division.

But they did all Cliff Lee...

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)
What other teams will we be competing with for theses big-name/big-ticket 1Bs/DHs? Can we expect their value to decrease at all given the number of names out there with (possibly) few destinations, despite the precedent that Howard set with his contract?

It's possible...but I don't see it as "Likely". Pujols is staying in STL, we all know that. 1 of Fielder/Gonzalez is likely bound for Boston. Beyond that, there's what, 1 more big name 1b? Someone will come up with a $25 million offer for him.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
Sox will not see .500 in 2010 so this is moot! :gosoxretro:

Remember that the Sox are in the AL Central. I know the Twins are looking good, but history says a record just over .500 could win the division.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
Remember that the Sox are in the AL Central. I know the Twins are looking good, but history says a record just over .500 could win the division.

you are right about history but i think this is the best twins team we have seen in a while. lirano looks like a big time ace and their offense is great. i think they will win over 90

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
I'm not seeing a lot of trade proposals in this thread... let's at least try to have some fun with this :)

Here is my proposal: Jenks, Viciedo, and Torres

They'd hang up. Jenks is an overweight closer who doesn't look good, Viciedo is a very talented prospect who hasn't been able to deliver the results you'd like, and Torres is a middle reliever at best, organizational fodder at worst. Hudson would absolutely have to be included, and you'd also be looking at dealing guys like Flowers, Danks2, and even guys like Morel and Santos would be included in that as well.

A more realistic package would be something along the lines of Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo/Danks2, plus one more high upside piece. You don't want to give that up for a player that you have absolutely no shot to resign when his contract expires when he may not even put you over the top. You hope that players on the Sox (other than a couple) can get it going offensively, and then you consider something like this.

It's rather meaningless to even consider trading for an offensive piece at this time simply because there isn't a good enough feel of what this team might actually be capable of yet.