Trib cracks open a new can of worms

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
They'd hang up. Jenks is an overweight closer who doesn't look good, Viciedo is a very talented prospect who hasn't been able to deliver the results you'd like, and Torres is a middle reliever at best, organizational fodder at worst. Hudson would absolutely have to be included, and you'd also be looking at dealing guys like Flowers, Danks2, and even guys like Morel and Santos would be included in that as well.

A more realistic package would be something along the lines of Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo/Danks2, plus one more high upside piece. You don't want to give that up for a player that you have absolutely no shot to resign when his contract expires when he may not even put you over the top. You hope that players on the Sox (other than a couple) can get it going offensively, and then you consider something like this.

It's rather meaningless to even consider trading for an offensive piece at this time simply because there isn't a good enough feel of what this team might actually be capable of yet.

I don't think people realize Torres isn't exactly a kid. He's fodder. Jenks contract and performance level is an issue. Viciedo has ability but the results aren't there yet and you have to wonder if he won't be bigger than Prince some day.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
I don't think people realize Torres isn't exactly a kid. He's fodder. Jenks contract and performance level is an issue. Viciedo has ability but the results aren't there yet and you have to wonder if he won't be bigger than Prince some day.

I'm always trying to look at things from a positive perspective, but when looking at this team through the eye's of someone else, it's hard to get excited about anything outside of the rotation and maybe the backend of the bullpen, and trading will be very hard. There isn't anything even close to resembling a can't-miss prospect, and there really isn't much depth to speak of anywhere. There are a few intriguing pieces here and there, but if I were looking to trade a Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez, I'm not looking at the White Sox package as an ideal package. The Braves obviously overpaid for Mark Teixeira, but if you are trading Fielder or Gonzalez, you have to be looking for a package similar to that. Saltalamacchia was a huge prospect and still has a ton of offensive talent, Feliz has always had a huge arm, Andrus has always been very talented, Matt Harrison was a top 100 prospect and is probably a backend starter or middle reliever at the very least, and Beau Jones was a 1st round pick who is putting up decent numbers in the minor leagues (albeit, as a reliever). The closest the Sox can get to that offer is Flowers, Hudson, Danks, Viciedo, and Santos, and I'd say that Saltalamacchia, Feliz, and Andrus are far superior to the top 3 of the Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
I'm always trying to look at things from a positive perspective, but when looking at this team through the eye's of someone else, it's hard to get excited about anything outside of the rotation and maybe the backend of the bullpen, and trading will be very hard. There isn't anything even close to resembling a can't-miss prospect, and there really isn't much depth to speak of anywhere. There are a few intriguing pieces here and there, but if I were looking to trade a Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez, I'm not looking at the White Sox package as an ideal package. The Braves obviously overpaid for Mark Teixeira, but if you are trading Fielder or Gonzalez, you have to be looking for a package similar to that. Saltalamacchia was a huge prospect and still has a ton of offensive talent, Feliz has always had a huge arm, Andrus has always been very talented, Matt Harrison was a top 100 prospect and is probably a backend starter or middle reliever at the very least, and Beau Jones was a 1st round pick who is putting up decent numbers in the minor leagues (albeit, as a reliever). The closest the Sox can get to that offer is Flowers, Hudson, Danks, Viciedo, and Santos, and I'd say that Saltalamacchia, Feliz, and Andrus are far superior to the top 3 of the Sox.

Flowers is a pretty good start, especially because he's a catcher, and an offensive catcher is a real nice thing to have. Santos also might intrigue. Its surprised me he's lasted this long without getting lit up but Ozzie has really handled him well IMO, but I agree, there seems to be a lot of warts on the rest of the prospects.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)

Flowers is a pretty good start, especially because he's a catcher, and an offensive catcher is a real nice thing to have. Santos also might intrigue. Its surprised me he's lasted this long without getting lit up but Ozzie has really handled him well IMO, but I agree, there seems to be a lot of warts on the rest of the prospects.