If you're KW, who's on your BIG BOARD to replace Ozzie?

caulfield12

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Melvin's a name I'll just throw out for discussions' sake, not saying he's a good option, but he did have a little success in Seattle and Arizona for a while before he got canned.

He's not exactly a fiery manager though, and he's known for changing lineup's a lot (which Ozzie is doing quite a bit ATM).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Here's a list to start with, feel free to argue/debate:

Cora (no way)

Walker (maybe he would be better than as a hitting coach?)

Joel Skinnner (White Sox ties)

Alan Trammell

Steve Stone/DJ/Singleton (joking)

Buddy Bell

Don Cooper (I think Fathom and I are both in this camp)

Don Baylor

Bob Brenly

Bobby Valentine

Davey Johnson

Don Mattingly

Terry Pendleton

Mattingly is replacing Torre and I have zero interest in Baylor/Brenly, etc. I actually think Cooper would be a tremendous interim coach, although I don't know if he has an interest in doing so. If the Sox want to go after a Larussa in the off-season, I'd support that.

If they didn't, I am a big Bobby Valentine fan. I also am a huge Joe Maddon fan, but obviously that isn't really an option.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
I also am a huge Joe Maddon fan, but obviously that isn't really an option.

As am I. Which is why I mentioned Martinez, who is being tutored under Maddon right now. Maddon is a saber guy too. He isn't perfect (who is.. but he has his faults more-so on bullpen/pitching situations) but he is really, really intelligent.

Edited by SoxAce

The White Sox have always been pretty cutting-edge in the front office...

Why not Kim Ng, to have the first female major league baseball manager in history? WHY NOT?

http://mlb.mlb.com/la/community/executives/ng.html

Margie Wright (Illinois St. 1980-1985; Fresno St. 1986-2007): 1,253 wins 446 losses 3 ties

JoAnne Graf (Florida St. 1984-07): 1,180 wins 397 losses 6 ties

Gayle Blevins (Indiana 1980-87; Iowa 88-07): 1,136 wins 529 losses ties

I think it would be really interesting to see what they could do? Could it really be worse than Guillen?

It would be like if Pat Head Summitt or Geno Auriema of UCONN were to coach NCAA men's basketball or in the NBA...why couldn't they???

Sometimes MLB is too "conventional" (I agree with Ozzie) and goes time and time again to the "retread" managers over being innovative.

If baseball can have GM's like Epstein, Jon Daniels, Jack Zdk. in Seattle, DePodesta, Ricciardi, etc. that have IVY LEAGUE and MBA/management/retail backgrounds, WHY NOT have an uncoventional managerial choice? By the way, here are six young "up and coming" future GM's between 31-35 years old.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Notice that two of those guys have UMass-Amherst Sports Administration MA's. That's the best school in the country...when I went to Georgia Southern University in the 90's, it was probably the #2 program.

I would love it if we could hire PRELLER from the Rangers' staff, it seems he has a great grasp of the Latin American market, a HUGE HUGE weakness for us since Ordonez and Carlos Lee.

Edited by caulfield12

Then I would send out FED EX'es with blank contracts to the following individuals and let them fill in the dollar amount...I would let them as a committee make the decision of who to hire as the next WS manager, it wouldn't be KW or JR.

Mike Radcliff, Vice President of Player Personnel

Rob Antony, Assistant General Manager

Joe McIlvaine, Special Assistant to General Manager

Tom Kelly, Special Assistant to General Manager

Jack Goin, Manager, Major League Administration

Amanda Daley, Manager, Scouting Administration

Jim Rantz, Senior Director, Minor Leagues

Brad Steil, Director of Baseball Operations

Deron Johnson, Director of Scouting

Joel Lepel, Minor League Field Coordinator

Vern Followell, Pro Scouting Coordinator

Kate Townley, Manager, Minor League Administration

Particularly Radcliff, Antony (very experienced front office guy), McIlvaine, Rantz and Deron Johnson.

Kelly would never leave the Twins' organization no matter how much you paid him, IMO. And KW's ego is so big he could never deal with "admitting defeat" and hiring front office members from the Twins, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say.

After all, the Twins have used Guerrier, Rauch, Crede, O-Cab, Thome...a lot more than the White Sox have signed former "Piranhas." AJ Pierzynski is one of the few examples to counter with, where Twins' players have ended up in Chicago. We did come "THIS close" to signing Torii Hunter, I suppose that counts to some extent.

Willie Randolph's not a bad option at all...I like it.

As far as Melvin, it's hard to put my exact finger on it, I guess I'd feel the same way if he was named manager as I would about Buddy Bell or Mike Hargrove.

I like the "new blood" guys that have retired in the last 5-10 years, rather than that 70's and 80's baseball generation.

No doubt, however that Scioscia is one of the best, he came from those great Dodgers' teams of that era. And I really like Joe Maddon, too, old school guy, but with new/innovative ideas.

Dave Martinez has the White Sox history, and it would be hilarious if we played the Cubs and Sandberg was managing. TMZ would have a field day with that story line.

I dont think he will be fired, and I really dont think i am all for it, but letting Juan Pierre end the game last night with Andruw Jones on deck batting for Vizquel(instead of Pierre) is just disgusting me beyond belief.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:40 AM)
I dont think he will be fired, and I really dont think i am all for it, but letting Juan Pierre end the game last night with Andruw Jones on deck batting for Vizquel(instead of Pierre) is just disgusting me beyond belief.

Wow, I said the same thing as I watched another weak slap off the bat. I saw Andruw standing there, and I said, "Why?"

''[beckham] is trying to do too much, he's desperate to try to do good. This game is a marathon, it's not a sprint. A lot of people in Chicago think Gordon is the man of this ballclub. That's a bunch of crap. He's not. This kid has a long way to go. A couple of years ago he was playing college, and we did something that I don't think we should have been doing, which is put this kid like he's the savior of the White Sox for the next 30 years. It's not easy to handle that. He's struggling right now, and I hope it doesn't carry on to him to be the man.

''He's not the man, and he never will be the man. As long as I manage this ballclub, nobody is the man. There are 25 men out there, not just one. Because it will take 25 guys to win this thing, not one or a couple to win it. This kid has potential to be a great one. But when you're struggling you've got to sit back and relax, don't forget where you come from and do the same thing you've been doing your whole life.''

suntimes.com/sports (cowley)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
''[beckham] is trying to do too much, he's desperate to try to do good. This game is a marathon, it's not a sprint. A lot of people in Chicago think Gordon is the man of this ballclub. That's a bunch of crap. He's not. This kid has a long way to go. A couple of years ago he was playing college, and we did something that I don't think we should have been doing, which is put this kid like he's the savior of the White Sox for the next 30 years. It's not easy to handle that. He's struggling right now, and I hope it doesn't carry on to him to be the man.

''He's not the man, and he never will be the man. As long as I manage this ballclub, nobody is the man. There are 25 men out there, not just one. Because it will take 25 guys to win this thing, not one or a couple to win it. This kid has potential to be a great one. But when you're struggling you've got to sit back and relax, don't forget where you come from and do the same thing you've been doing your whole life.''

suntimes.com/sports (cowley)

Its really too bad only the second part gets quoted, because the first part is great.

''Not mechanical. It's more my mind,'' Beckham said. ''I'm not taking my BP into the game. When I'm getting in the game I feel like I'm a little rushed, I feel like my head is moving a little faster than it should. As opposed to being calm and just sitting in the box and let the ball come to me.

''I'm going to spread out a little bit, eliminate the lower half a little bit, and that's going to keep me locked in, a little quieter. Hopefully, that will help me be more accurate with the ball and make better decisions on pitches that are close and not close. That should help. I just have to do it in the games. It's all there.''

Guillen said Beckham would play in the series finale this afternoon, so it was obviously just a rest, not a punishment.

And as far as if the club did put too much on Beckham's shoulders and could be ruining him, Guillen didn't think that was the case.

''No, this kid mentally is pretty tough about it, and he grew up with the right people around him,'' Guillen said. ''I don't want him thinking about, 'I'm the man here, I gotta do this, hit .350, I gotta do this, I gotta be the MVP.' No, he's got to go out and play his game the way he did when he was a little kid.''

www.suntimes.com/sports (cowley)

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
''Not mechanical. It's more my mind,'' Beckham said. ''I'm not taking my BP into the game. When I'm getting in the game I feel like I'm a little rushed, I feel like my head is moving a little faster than it should. As opposed to being calm and just sitting in the box and let the ball come to me.

''I'm going to spread out a little bit, eliminate the lower half a little bit, and that's going to keep me locked in, a little quieter. Hopefully, that will help me be more accurate with the ball and make better decisions on pitches that are close and not close. That should help. I just have to do it in the games. It's all there.''

Guillen said Beckham would play in the series finale this afternoon, so it was obviously just a rest, not a punishment.

And as far as if the club did put too much on Beckham's shoulders and could be ruining him, Guillen didn't think that was the case.

''No, this kid mentally is pretty tough about it, and he grew up with the right people around him,'' Guillen said. ''I don't want him thinking about, 'I'm the man here, I gotta do this, hit .350, I gotta do this, I gotta be the MVP.' No, he's got to go out and play his game the way he did when he was a little kid.''

www.suntimes.com/sports (cowley)

Again, Guillen is saying the right things. Of course that won't get said, because it isn't as popular. If anyone understands the position Gordo is in, it is a guy who was traded for a Cy Young pitcher and was rookie of the year.