Juan Pierre loses leadoff role

Steve9347

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pierre is a good #2 guy. He hits it on the ground, will make contact in hit and run situations, can bunt and you won't waste an AB to someone who actually drives in runs, and not counting Wed. doesn't hit into DPs often so if they do get a force he is capable of stealing second. He's not nearly as bad as he's shown, but he shouldn't leadoff. Ninth is good for now, when he starts to hit, and he does get real hot in stretches move him to #2.

With Pierre being a bust so far I have few things on my mind.

With him not leading off which was clearly the reason why he was brought here in a first place, you have to ask yourself what does he bring to this ballclub?

His defense is mediocre out there, no arm whatsoever.

Question number 1: If Pierre is not batting leadoff would you want him out of the lineup and have Kotsay play LF and bat 9th? Kotsay, Rios, Jones, Q at DH, or you can rotate all these guys between these spots.

Question number 2: With Sox still needing a big left handed bat, now that Pierre is failing do you see Sox trading for let's say Adam Dunn? He can play LF and brings the bat to the lineup.

Conclusion if Pierre can't leadoff he is pretty much useless for this club and hurts you more than he helps.

Prove me wrong.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
With Sox still needing a big left handed bat, now that Pierre is failing do you see Sox trading for let's say Adam Dunn? He can play LF

Conclusion if Pierre can't leadoff he is pretty much useless for this club and hurts you more than he helps.

Prove me wrong.

Adam Dunn can't really play LF. You're absolutely correct about Pierre though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Pierre is a good #2 guy. He hits it on the ground, will make contact in hit and run situations, can bunt and you won't waste an AB to someone who actually drives in runs, and not counting Wed. doesn't hit into DPs often so if they do get a force he is capable of stealing second. He's not nearly as bad as he's shown, but he shouldn't leadoff. Ninth is good for now, when he starts to hit, and he does get real hot in stretches move him to #2.

Actually, if Pierre hits nothing but groundballs, then I would be worried about him hitting into more doubleplays if he bats 2nd. Kinda defeats the purpose there.

I think it might be best to bat him 9th, and if he gets on base, then that's just a bonus.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
I'm confident given the same number of ABs, Wise would have put up better numbers. He could at least hit it out of the infield for a potential sac fly.

I would even prefer Carlos Zambrano in the 9th spot.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
Actually, if Pierre hits nothing but groundballs, then I would be worried about him hitting into more doubleplays if he bats 2nd. Kinda defeats the purpose there.

I think it might be best to bat him 9th, and if he gets on base, then that's just a bonus.

He hit into two last night. He's prone to those.

With him not leading off which was clearly the reason why he was brought here in a first place, you have to ask yourself what does he bring to this ballclub?

Question number 1: If Pierre is not batting leadoff would you want him out of the lineup and have Kotsay play LF and bat 9th? Kotsay, Rios, Jones, Q at DH, or you can rotate all these guys between these spots.

Question number 2: With Sox still needing a big left handed bat, now that Pierre is failing do you see Sox trading for let's say Adam Dunn? He can play LF and brings the bat to the lineup.

Prove me wrong.

If you acquire Adam Dunn you do it to rotate him at 1B/DH. He has no business whatsoever in LF. None. Zip. Hell f***ing no.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
His career high in GIDP is 10. I wouldn't call that "prone".

He's already 2/5 of the way there this year. This says he's lost a lot of speed. With as many grounders as he hits, I wouldn't be surprised if he hits into 15 this year.

Prove me wrong.

Nobody can, because he is in fact useless.