Juan Pierre loses leadoff role

Steve9347

Man... having Damon on the team right now would really help right now :lolhitting

According to Fangraphs pierre sees 75.3% fastballs and can only bat .213 :huh:

Glad hes batting 9th, he was always a 9th place hitter in the AL

Hopefully if teahen bats leadoff (hes our best obp guy), pierre will bat 8th

Edited by scotty22hotty

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
Teahen should be leading off

Agreed.

The key will be can he actually keep up his plate discipline (9/9 K/BB ratio) so far, when in the past that's usually been at a 3 to 1 ratio. He hasn't drawn a walk in his last 22 or so AB's however.

Pierre is Dwayne Wise, only paid about 10 times as much. Maybe worse than Wise. I liked Wise.

Bat him ninth forevermore, please. We can stomach him at ninth maybe. I don't care who leads off as long as it's not Juan ever again.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 05:38 AM)
I admit the guy has been brutal, but he can't possibly be this bad so suddenly. He's just pressing.

I predict he'll be an important part of this team as the season goes on...

It's not like he's not making contact. He's playing the same way he always has, he just isn't nearly as fast as he used to be. If this was a few seasons ago, he'd probably have 5-6 more hits and his batting average would be much more respectable.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
Most likely go Alexi/Beckham or Beckham/Alexi. I know Alexi isn't hitting worth a lick right now, but getting him in more fastball situations is perfect for him.

Ummm, no. Replacing a guy that's struggling, with another guy that is struggling would be silly. Especially with Alexei, because he's not a natural on-base guy. Alexei's got swingawayitis.

And lets not pretend Teahen is the solution to take us to the playoffs. While he's been good so far this year, and might keep it up, he's not a natural leadoff hitter. Remember, Juan Pierre's career on-base percentage is still better than Teahan's. Last year Teahen had like 35 walks and 120 Ks.

I'd prefer to see if Pierre can get out of this slump. He's the closest thing we've got to a real leadoff hitter. If we give up on him already, we might just be throwing in the towel. Of course I could be wrong. Pierre could continue to be awful and Teahen could continue to take bases like Nick Swisher, but it's unlikely.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
Maybe, but I hope you don't think he's actually a good hitter, run producer. He's not.

I'd stick Beckham there.

On average you do not expect runs produced from your lead-off hitter. He is in the very worst position possible to knock in runs every game. To start of the game a lead-off hitter is guaranteed to not have an opportunity to knock it a run. Then from that point on the worst batters in the line-up bat in front of him... generally with the worst ability on the team to reach base.

Beckham will be far more wasted lead-off role in comparison to teahen. The terrible thing is this team does not exactly have a legitimate option after pierre, and by that i mean teahen is in no way a good option. In the two hole they are set rather well, potentially speaking.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
It's not like he's not making contact. He's playing the same way he always has, he just isn't nearly as fast as he used to be. If this was a few seasons ago, he'd probably have 5-6 more hits and his batting average would be much more respectable.

He is actually capable of hitting line drives. I have seen it before. He's just hitting the ball right at the second basemen and ss every game. Tough to get many hits that way no matter how fast you are.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 05:55 AM)
He is actually capable of hitting line drives. I have seen it before. He's just hitting the ball right at the second basemen and ss every game. Tough to get many hits that way no matter how fast you are.

People underestimate the ballpark factor, as the outfield can play him even more shallow at the Cell as opposed to the spread out outfield of Florida, Colorado, and even Dodger stadium.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
People underestimate the ballpark factor, as the outfield can play him even more shallow at the Cell as opposed to the spread out outfield of Florida, Colorado, and even Dodger stadium.

Fair point.

I just refuse to believe he is THIS bad.

I would even prefer Carlos Zambrano in the 9th spot.

As crazy as this sounds, I could believe quite a few starting NL pitchers have highers batting averages than most of our starting lineup.

Edited by chisoxfan09

Juan Pierre is not as bad as he looks right now. Look at his career stats. I know, I know, everyone's tired of hearing about his career stats. I agree that he's absolutely brutal right now, and Ozzie is finally making the right decision by moving him out of the lead-off spot. He needs to get his head on straight and get back to what he can do. Taking the pressure of the lead-off spot away can only help.

IIRC, Pierre has always been a slow starter. His first few month in particular is always bad. I recall that when he was with the Cubs, he started exactly like this and was called a bust by all the Cubs fans. were exactly like this, but look at his season stats.

He ended up hitting .292 with 58 SB that year.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
Juan Pierre is not as bad as he looks right now. Look at his career stats. I know, I know, everyone's tired of hearing about his career stats. I agree that he's absolutely brutal right now, and Ozzie is finally making the right decision by moving him out of the lead-off spot. He needs to get his head on straight and get back to what he can do. Taking the pressure of the lead-off spot away can only help.

Outside of two months last year, Pierre has been the decline for the last few years. A year like this wasn't out of the question. Especially, in the A.L.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
Outside of two months last year, Pierre has been the decline for the last few years. A year like this wasn't out of the question. Especially, in the A.L.

Sure, but what we're seeing right now is not a decline, it's falling off a damn cliff. I'm still inclined to believe that he will recover...maybe not to a .280+ hitter, but he'll most likely be much better than he is right now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)

A bad year, yes. But no one would have projected he'd drop off a hundred damn points from his career average.

Glad to see him moving to 9th, and unless he's hurt, I am 99.9% sure he'll start hitting fairly soon.