Juan Pierre loses leadoff role

Steve9347

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
A bad year, yes. But no one would have projected he'd drop off a hundred damn points from his career average.

Glad to see him moving to 9th, and unless he's hurt, I am 99.9% sure he'll start hitting fairly soon.

I am too. People decline as they get into their 30's but at only 33 to fall so steeply just doesn't usually happen barring injury. As bad as he's been I just refuse to believe he has lost it. His speed still looks pretty good and I would be shocked if he doesn't pick it up as the year goes on. I'm sure he's pressing right now and is as upset with himself as the rest of us are.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much like AJ and his 33 year old catcher body when you have the worst month of your career at age 31 with 1450 games of wear on your speedster body it is quite alarming. Pierre is a pretty scary case, his game is 100% predicated on his speed since he's easily one of the very worst BB and XBH players in the game, an enormous percentage of his total hits come thanks to his legs, when you start to get into your 30's, weigh probably 160 pounds and have played 1400+ games in the bigs questions of longevity begin to be asked.

So April, 2010 is pretty much far and away the worst month of Juan Pierre's career. Assuming he doesn't play today he'll finish with a .200/.261/.200/.461 line in 94 PA, Brent Lillibridge hit .158/.273/.179/.452 in 112 PA for us last year. Pierre's previous career low in batting average for a full month was .226 in May of '05 and '06 and his previous career low in OPS was .515 in June of 2002. Not good.

Like I posted in the Catch-All Thread:

If Juan doesn't pick up an XBH today it'll mark only the 3rd time in his career in which he's failed to pick up an XBH in a full month's worth of play. The other 2:

April, 2002: .284/.371/.284/.655 (102 PA)

Sept, 2000: .286/.339/.286/.625 (124 PA)

April, 2010: .211/.268/.211/.479 (94 PA)

Do I think Juan Pierre is washed up and done completely? No, not really he still looks pretty quick to me but I wouldn't stop anyone from claiming he's finished since it's certainly plausible. Personally, I just loathe Juan Pierre's game and players like him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Like it or not, JP has no value on THIS team if he's not leading off. There's just no better option. Blame Ozzie/KW for the construction of the roster until you're blue in the face. It's just fact.

Yep. And we're paying him stupid mother f***ing money, so they are gonna keep throwing him out there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
Like it or not, JP has no value on THIS team if he's not leading off. There's just no better option. Blame Ozzie/KW for the construction of the roster until you're blue in the face. It's just fact.

He does have value for the team if he's leading off. It's negative value. You don't lead a s***ty guy off, because his skill set or contract warrants it, you do it because he can get on-base and set the table for the rest of the offense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)

I think he wouldn't be bad in the 2 hole especially considering Ozzie likes his #2 guys bunting. He makes a lot of contact for hit and runs, can bunt, and even though he has several so far this season, he historically doesn't GIDP much. 10 times is a career high.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
He does have value for the team if he's leading off. It's negative value. You don't lead a s***ty guy off, because his skill set or contract warrants it, you do it because he can get on-base and set the table for the rest of the offense.

Screw his contract. It wouldn't matter if he was playing for free. There's just no better option. 'Lexi? Rios? Beckham? This is an incredibly flawed roster. The best bet is that Juan can become at least 80% of what he's been his entire career (not that he's ever been that good. but he's never been THIS bad).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
Screw his contract. It wouldn't matter if he was playing for free. There's just no better option. 'Lexi? Rios? Beckham? This is an incredibly flawed roster. The best bet is that Juan can become at least 80% of what he's been his entire career (not that he's ever been that good. but he's never been THIS bad).

He is better than he's shown, and he does get ridiculously hot at times. They are usually all singles, but I still think he winds up with better numbers than Pods this season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)

He also has no value on this team if he's leading off.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
He also has no value on this team if he's leading off.

He does if he's hitting .280, let alone .300. I mean it's really that simple. JP is a career .301 hitter in 6064 career plate appearances coming into this year. He's hitting .202 this year. Has he declined so much over one 6-month off-season that his average has dropped 100 points off his career mark? I'd say hell no.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
He does if he's hitting .280, let alone .300. I mean it's really that simple. JP is a career .301 hitter in 6064 career plate appearances coming into this year. He's hitting .202 this year. Has he declined so much over one 6-month off-season that his average has dropped 100 points off his career mark? I'd say hell no.

2003 was a long time ago. He probably will end up in the .290 range, but that still doesn't mean he's a very good baseball player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)

I think he'll finish around .280/.325/.345/.670, his ISO could very well be lower than .065. There's just no way he's "done" at this point in his career but he Cell is just one of the worst parks imaginable for his game, not a lot of room in the outfield for balls to fall in front of outfielders or squirt past them in the gaps for hustle doubles or cavernous gaps to pick up triples especially compared to Dolphin and Dodger Stadium, unfortunately he's not strong enough to take advantage of easy homeruns available at the Cell.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 3, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
I think he'll finish around .280/.325/.345/.670, his ISO could very well be lower than .065. There's just no way he's "done" at this point in his career but he Cell is just one of the worst parks imaginable for his game, not a lot of room in the outfield for balls to fall in front of outfielders or squirt past them in the gaps for hustle doubles or cavernous gaps to pick up triples especially compared to Dolphin and Dodger Stadium, unfortunately he's not strong enough to take advantage of easy homeruns available at the Cell.

Bingo. fathom was the first one (first one I saw anyway) that brought up the park factor. And your season line is more than reasonable. I wish we had a better option. It sounds like I'm advocating Pierre for the lead-off spot. That's just not the case.