HR-2499

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/04/...te-legislation/

First part of legislation has been passed. It looks like this is going to happen.

First things first, the Senate has to pass it. Then the PR has to actually pass statehood for once. Then they have to be ratified. There is a ways to go here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
why not D.C., btw?

It was created specifically to house the federal government. When created, I think the point was to keep it away from state influences. Of course, all of that is moot today.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 05:42 AM)
It was created specifically to house the federal government. When created, I think the point was to keep it away from state influences. Of course, all of that is moot today.

Close, they didn't want the Feds favoring one state over another.

Going back to the later have of the 1800s the US was adding a couple stars a year. This is the longest our flag has ever stayed the same. My two favorite flags are the 15 stars and stripes and the 28 star flag.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
Close, they didn't want the Feds favoring one state over another.

Going back to the later have of the 1800s the US was adding a couple stars a year. This is the longest our flag has ever stayed the same. My two favorite flags are the 15 stars and stripes and the 28 star flag.

The 1936 road gray is my favorite. Wait, sorry, that's White Sox uniforms, not old US flags.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 05:42 AM)

I like the idea of letting that has been floating around of Maryland absorbing most of what is left of the DC and only important federal buildings remain as independent property.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)

well, not really but besides that, you'd still have the federal district, but could make a state easily for the 600,000 routinely f***ed from true representation and constant tugging with congress. Their population is comparable to SD or MT

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
I like the idea of letting that has been floating around of Maryland absorbing most of what is left of the DC and only important federal buildings remain as independent property.

There's a big reason that hasn't happened yet. Virginia and Maryland are thrilled to take up the DC Suburbs, suburbs are the areas that generate taxes to fund state govenrnments because the high income people live there. The actual city limits are the sink for money...so to get either state to include that area, you need to convince that state to spend a bunch of their tax dollars there. Neither state will ever agree to that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 07:41 AM)
well, not really but besides that, you'd still have the federal district, but could make a state easily for the 600,000 routinely f***ed from true representation and constant tugging with congress. Their population is comparable to SD or MT

At the end of the day it isn't like they were annexed. The rules have been there long before anyone here was born. The zone was created for a very specific reason. Then again it isn't like there is much state based influence left in this country anyway.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 06:28 AM)
The 1936 road gray is my favorite. Wait, sorry, that's White Sox uniforms, not old US flags.

Far better than the 1861-1865 gray uniforms.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
At the end of the day it isn't like they were annexed. The rules have been there long before anyone here was born. The zone was created for a very specific reason. Then again it isn't like there is much state based influence left in this country anyway.

so?

yeah, not getting it. So because something has been around a long time and sucks means that it's not to be questioned or changed because it's been around a long time and sucks and people know it? Sounds brilliant.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
yeah, not getting it. So because something has been around a long time and sucks means that it's not to be questioned or changed because it's been around a long time and sucks and people know it? Sounds brilliant.

Honestly I think the things today are worse when it comes to political influence being sold off and hidden away in things like riders in bills. Keeping the federal politics out of the capital would seem more important now than ever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
Honestly I think the things today are worse when it comes to political influence being sold off and hidden away in things like riders in bills. Keeping the federal politics out of the capital would seem more important now than ever.

Unless they try to allow gays to get married. Or try to touch your guys.