How good are The Rays?

Tannerfan

As I write this Tampa Bay is beating KC 10 to 1 in the 6th inning. I know they kicked the stuffing out of us twice so I looked up their other scores and couldn't believe how many runs they are scoring while their pitching shuts teams down. Of their 16 wins while only losing 5 not counting tonight this is what they've done.

Beat NY 9-3

Beat Bal 9-1 and 7-1

Beat Bos 7-1 and 8-2

Beat us 12-0 and 10-2

Beat Tor 9-3 and 6-0

Beat Oak 10-3

I know they will have a bad stretch before the season is over, but I do not remember a team being so dominate in both aspects of the game at the same time for an entire month.

How good is this team?

Really, really good. Oh, and the best team I can think of that had their pitching and hitting clicking this much at the exact same time is the 2002 Athletics, what with their 20 game win streak. In August of that year, they scored 164 runs and allowed 72. That's an average of 5.86 RS/G, and 2.57 RA/G.

Well they're certainly not THIS good. They're playing peak baseball right now. Clicking on all cylinders to the highest degree. They will come down some no matter what. But over the long haul, this is a legitimate WS contender. They've got basically every ingredient that you look for in a contending team. Starting pitching? Check. Balanced lineup with a combination of power and speed? Check. Bullpen? Check. And Howell hasn't even thrown a pitch for them yet. Overall team depth? Check. Who the f*** is John Jaso? And depth to me also means having guys in the minors you can call upon if needed. That's a check. The only things they lack is a real baseball stadium and real fans. The attendance totals for a team of this caliber is sickening.

J4L, do you expect people who already have allegiances to other teams to just jump ship? I mean, they're a very new team and have done seemingly little to ever garner a fan base. The few people I could see rooting for a team like that are Tampa area residents that were born in the last 15 years or so.

Also, what's up with Howell?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
J4L, do you expect people who already have allegiances to other teams to just jump ship? I mean, they're a very new team and have done seemingly little to ever garner a fan base. The few people I could see rooting for a team like that are Tampa area residents that were born in the last 15 years or so.

If I was to move to another city that didnt host a team I hated, it's likely that I'd adopt them as my 2nd team. Add on to it that this is the 3rd season in a row they have a pretty competitive team, so enough for a solid group of bandwagon fans to join in the fun. Florida just doesnt seem like a baseball state, the Marlins won 2 WS and cant get a fanbase either.

Tampa is my 3rd favorite team (Rockies are my second) so I'm down with them. Maddon is one of my favorite managers in the game. I like Carl Crawford's assessment of his team. He calls them the Phoenix Suns of the MLB. Up tempo, run the hell out of people type. Jason Bartlett alone has more hits with RISP than I believe all 9 starters in our everyday lineup combined. And if I'm not mistaken, he is not even leading their team in that department. :o (though he might be now after hitting 2 more RBIs with RISP)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)

Allegiances to other teams? Like who? The Marlins? That's right. They can't draw fans either. Despite the fact they've won two world series in their history. What exactly is the criteria for the great people of Florida to get up off their asses and support the local baseball teams? Outside of football, Florida is just a horrible sports state. And Howell has been on the DL all year due to shoulder problems. He should be back next month.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
Tampa is my 3rd favorite team (Rockies are my second) so I'm down with them. Maddon is one of my favorite managers in the game. I like Carl Crawford's assessment of his team. He calls them the Phoenix Suns of the MLB. Up tempo, run the hell out of people type. Jason Bartlett alone has more hits with RISP than I believe all 9 starters in our everyday lineup combined. And if I'm not mistaken, he is not even leading their team in that department. :o (though he might be now after hitting 2 more RBIs with RISP)

You're just like me. I get a boner for teams that scout/draft/develop their own talent.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
You're just like me. I get a boner for teams that scout/draft/develop their own talent.

Well to be fair, I loved the Rockies since the Big Cat, Bichette, Helton in his prime, etc.. days anyway. :lol: But ya I love how the Rays do their thing. I'm not a fan of the Twins though, but I respect the hell out of them for doing what they do. It will be interesting seeing them as a high payroll team for once especially when Mauer's contract kicks in.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Allegiances to other teams? Like who? The Marlins? That's right. They can't draw fans either. Despite the fact they've won two world series in their history. What exactly is the criteria for the great people of Florida to get up off their asses and support the local baseball teams? Outside of football, Florida is just a horrible sports state. And Howell has been on the DL all year due to shoulder problems. He should be back next month.

As you said, it's not a good baseball state. I would think anyone who was picking out of those two teams would have gone with the Marlins anyway, due to their earlier success. And a good portion of people are probably transplanted fans of other teams. I just don't see them getting too popular.

One problem with the Rays support is the dome is a b**** to get to. During traffic times, just to get from downtown Tampa to the dome is atleast 45 minutes. Since everyone basically lives in the suburbs so its even more drive time getting to the games. Basically kills weeknight attendance.

The transplants rooting for their hometown teams are expected. You do hear people call in on radio shows complain about when the Bucs were good these transplants would be Bucs fans but still were Yankees/Red Sox fans. Typical frontrunners. But what gets me is you see all these you kids showing up to games in Red Sox and Yankees gear. You'd think the parents would want their kids to like teams from the area that they can see every night and look up to.

I personally like their stadium. It's miserable waiting in line to buy tickets when its 95 degrees out, I can only imagine sitting outside waiting for the sun to go down so the temperatures drop into the 80s to watch a game. But whenever the Rays get a stadium in actual Tampa, I'd be surprised if they dont average in the mid 20s to low 30s every night as long as they are good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Well they're certainly not THIS good. They're playing peak baseball right now. Clicking on all cylinders to the highest degree. They will come down some no matter what. But over the long haul, this is a legitimate WS contender. They've got basically every ingredient that you look for in a contending team. Starting pitching? Check. Balanced lineup with a combination of power and speed? Check. Bullpen? Check. And Howell hasn't even thrown a pitch for them yet. Overall team depth? Check. Who the f*** is John Jaso? And depth to me also means having guys in the minors you can call upon if needed. That's a check. The only things they lack is a real baseball stadium and real fans. The attendance totals for a team of this caliber is sickening.

Yeah, just wait til they bring up Desmond Jennings...ugh

• 3 weeks later...

This Rays team is the best I've seen in over a decade. I'm sold. And they're JUST NOW starting to hit. Evan Longoria is the best player in the AL. Wade Davis, their 5th starter, has bamboozled the Yankees offense tonight. You could make an argument that all 3 of Price, Garza and Shields should be all-stars. And they've got a guy in Jeremy Hellickson who might be the best pitching prospect in baseball (Strasburg doesn't count. He was never a prospect).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
This Rays team is the best I've seen in over a decade. I'm sold. And they're JUST NOW starting to hit. Evan Longoria is the best player in the AL. Wade Davis, their 5th starter, has bamboozled the Yankees offense tonight. You could make an argument that all 3 of Price, Garza and Shields should be all-stars. And they've got a guy in Jeremy Hellickson who might be the best pitching prospect in baseball (Strasburg doesn't count. He was never a prospect).

their starters are ridiculous for sure. that team is young, talented and freaking good (remind me the blackhawks without the payroll issues)...

in thinking about who the best teams are over the last decade, thats a great question...its difficult because some of the best teams of the last 10 years didn't win the world series IMO.....the 01 mariners, and there was a cardinals team or two in like 04 when edmonds rolen and pujols all had MVP calibur years, then they added larry walker.....some of those yankees teams were unbelievable too in like 02-04 (I believe they had 3 straight years of 100+ wins). Among teams that won it, I'd have to say the 04 Bosox or 05 White sox

The rays definitely have a shot to be one of the best, and IMO are definitely a top 2 team this year, if not the best. (i know they have beaten the yankees and are up 4 games on them, but when its all said and done, I wonder how that will shake out)

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 20, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
their starters are ridiculous for sure. that team is young, talented and freaking good (remind me the blackhawks without the payroll issues)...

I wouldn't say they are without payroll issues. Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena are definitely not coming back next year because they can't afford them. Once some of the other guys get older, they are gonna have to make some tough $$$$ decisions too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 20, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
I wouldn't say they are without payroll issues. Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena are definitely not coming back next year because they can't afford them. Once some of the other guys get older, they are gonna have to make some tough $$$$ decisions too.

Jeremy Hellickson, Alex Torres, Matt Moore, Desmond Jennings, Tim Beckham, Matt Joyce, ect. They're churning out premium talent at a spectacular rate. They've become what the A's were in the early 2000's. Except instead of obsessing over fat, non-athletic, cows that get on base a lot the Rays put a premium on speed, athleticism and multi-talented players with upside.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 20, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)

They will be 100% fine with Desmond Jennings, when he takes over for Crawford. Trust me.

They're not 30-11 good (which is absolutely insane in the AL East), but they're going to be in the playoffs barring a disaster, and they have the talent to win once they get there, so pretty darn good. I wish they had the money to keep some of these guys they are going to be unable to (and I also wish they supported that team down there), but we'll see if they can replace such free agent losses and be a good time for the long haul in due time. It seems like they have the talent in the minors to be able to do so.

Edited by whitesoxfan101