4/30 GT White Sox @ Yankees - 6:05pm CDT - WCIU

knightni

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alexei and AJ are 2 players you never want in the top third of your lineup. They see very few pitches per AB, never walk, and are terrible situational hitters. (Yes I realize AJ is not in the top 3rd tonight. Just making a point.)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Alexei and AJ are 2 players you never want in the top third of your lineup. They see very few pitches per AB, never walk, and are terrible situational hitters. (Yes I realize AJ is not in the top 3rd tonight. Just making a point.)

AJ is not a bad #2 hitter when he's on. High contact rate (few K's), hits for good average, pulls the ball when its on the ground, knows the game situationally. Not so great with the bunting or speed though, or the walks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
AJ is not a bad #2 hitter when he's on. High contact rate (few K's), hits for good average, pulls the ball when its on the ground, knows the game situationally. Not so great with the bunting or speed though, or the walks.

Too streaky for my tastes to be in that slot.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Ok, seriously. Is our coaching staff trying to lose games, I'm being serious. The hell is wrong with Ozzie? THIS LINEUP DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!

Ozzie is why we lead in SLPS.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Ramirez SS (1:12 BB:SO)

Beckham 2B

Jones RF

Konerko 1B

Rios CF

Quentin DH (LIES!)

Teahen 3B

Lucy C

Pierre LF (LIES!)

Garcia P

Well, if the Sox pull out a win tonight with this lineup I suppose it'll boost confidence?

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Ok, seriously. Is our coaching staff trying to lose games, I'm being serious. The hell is wrong with Ozzie? THIS LINEUP DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!

It hardly changes anything at all. You have to look at it by taking into account the turnover of the line-up, from the 9-hole back to the top of the order.

Alexei has usually been in the 9-hole, with Pierre leading off, followed by Beckham. So all this lineup does, after the first inning, is change Alexei-Pierre-Beckham to Pierre-Alexei-Beckham, with Alexei very likely getting one more at bat per game than Pierre because he's in the leadoff spot.

Another option is giving Beckham the extra at bat per game, and putting both Alexei and Pierre at the bottom of the order. But Beckham also is struggling, and hardly deserves the extra at bat either.

The real problems is that too many hitters are struggling: Alexei, Pierre, Beckham, Kotsay, Vizquel, AJ, Quentin. Ozzie doesn't have any good, obvious options for leadoff. He's got to hope that someone starts to figure out how to get on base.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
There's a lot of hitters in tonight's lineup that have success against Pettitte. Pierre is 7-15.

That probably explains Pierre being in there then.

I'd be curious how the others in the lineup have done against him, versus the ones like AJ that are sitting.

Career vs Pettitte:

Ramirez 1-2 w/ HR, BB

Beckham 2-3 w/ 2B

Jones 7-27 (.259) w/ 2 2B, BB, 7K

Konerko 12-33 (.364) w/ HR, 2 2B, 3BB, 4K

Rios 8-26 (.308) w/ 2B, HR, BB, 5K

Quentin 1-5 W/ K

Teahen 4-16 w/ 2 2B, 2K

Lucy 0 PA

Pierre 7-15 (.467) w/ 2 2B, BB, 2K

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
Career vs Pettitte:

Ramirez 1-2 w/ HR, BB

Beckham 2-3 w/ 2B

Jones 7-27 (.259) w/ 2 2B, BB, 7K

Konerko 12-33 (.364) w/ HR, 2 2B, 3BB, 4K

Rios 8-26 (.308) w/ 2B, HR, BB, 5K

Quentin 1-5 W/ K

Teahen 4-16 w/ 2 2B, 2K

Lucy 0 PA

Pierre 7-15 (.467) w/ 2 2B, BB, 2K

AJP 8-22 (.364), 1 2B, 1 K

Interesting.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
AJP 8-22 (.364), 1 2B, 1 K

Interesting.

Even more puzzling why he isn't in there.

Maybe this will get Alexei to be more patient at the plate. He's improved his walk rate and overall discipline from when he got here to last year, but has regressed so far this season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Even more puzzling why he isn't in there.

Maybe this will get Alexei to be more patient at the plate. He's improved his walk rate and overall discipline from when he got here to last year, but has regressed so far this season.

I was actually fine with Lucy getting the start before I looked at those splits. Pettitte is a tough lefty, AJ is slumping and Lucy is RH and swinging a decent bat right now. However, I had no idea AJP has actually had sustained success against him. Of course with tomorrow being a day game maybe Oz just felt he'd rather play AJ vs Vazquez rather than Pettitte

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
I actually don't mind Kay or Singleton at all. It's Leiter and O'Neill that make it almost unbearable. It's clear they do zero homework before visiting teams not named Boston play the Yankee$ and they are totally useless IMO. And they've become much better since Susan Waldman has taken a lesser role.

Anything that Susan Waldman takes a lesser role instantly becomes better.