May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 6, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
interesting comment by Buehrle on his struggles:

"You hope so, but sometimes if you're losing stuff and the league's catching up to you, you're going to give up hits," he said. "When guys are on base, I have to try to get that ground ball for a double play or not give up that big inning."

Thats encouraging...

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 Baltimore 12 289,956 24,163 50.1 17 26,800 60.1 29 25,709 55.8

20 Tampa Bay 15 345,973 23,064 52.7 13 21,868 50.9 28 22,509 51.9

21 Chicago White Sox 16 365,145 22,821 56.2 13 23,220 47.4 29 23,000 51.9

22 San Diego 16 352,830 22,051 51.9 12 25,245 56.8 28 23,420 54.0

Note to Brooks Boyer: PANIC!!!

Actually, all kidding aside, this is a 3.6 or 3.8% increase from the same point in time in 2009. Interesting.

Edited by caulfield12

Let's face it: KW and Oz thought our starting pitching would be so good that our horrid lineup wouldn't matter this year.

You have to admit that's all anybody talked about, especially after we got Peavy. It made it easy for them to not want Thome and/or Dye and no regular big bopper at DH and no stud at third, just a utility type guy in Teahen.

It was a smug attitude and it was like no matter what crap we throw out there on the field we'll be fine because of the starting pitching.

The lineup is horrid and dull and because of this the Cell will be empty and KW and Oz and whomever went for this strategy could be responsible for a financial disaster in terms of paying customers, outrageous parking fees lost, concessions lost, etc.

How we rebuild from this mistake in thinking ... now that is the question. IMO the Sox should immediately be addressing this question.

How can the Sox fix this mess of a team in the least painful way possible and the quickest way possible?

Edited by greg775

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse but I can not adequately express how much I hate having a guy at the very top of the order who 36% of his hits this season have not left the infield and is actually struggling to get bunts down even though once a week Scott Reifert posts a pic of him taking extra bunting practice before a game. When you hit leadoff you're going to get some RBI opportunities and I expect you to come through on occasion, so it would be nice if you were capable getting the ball past the infielders and reaching first that way or perhaps putting it past an outfielder for extra bases like 5 times a month. I never thought I would say that a .216 AVG was empty because, well it is a .216 AVG but when you have 0 XBH, 8 infield singles, 1 bunt single and 7 walks through 128 PA and you have 1 measly hit in 27 PA with RISP (.042/.115/.042/.157) that's a pretty empty .216 and you're just not anywhere near a major league caliber baseball player.

Juan Pierre actually has more GIDP with RISP than hits this season.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 8, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
2005-2008 winning pct - .540 (87.5 wins per 162 games)

2007-2010 winning pct - .488 (79 wins per 162 games)

If the Sox end up averaging less than 80 wins over a 4 year span, shouldn't KW's job be in serious jeopardy?

No. Because it's not a good metric to evaluate what happened.

Look at the year by year numbers and the flaw in logic becomes more clear.

2005 - 99 wins

2006 - 90 wins

2007 - 72 wins

2008 - 89 wins (90 if you include one playoff win)

2009 - 79 wins

90-wins is a pretty good measure of a quality team/season.

And the Sox have reached 90 wins in 3 of the last 5 years.

The only year in which we were truly "bad" was 2007.

People seem to forget, that last year, we were only 2.5 games out of 1st going into the last week of August.

So... no... using rolling 4 year averages (to evaluate the last 5 years) does not make a compelling argument for a GM to lose his job.

Especially when year by year performance numbers suggest he's fielded a pretty competitive team 4 out of the 5 years.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
I know I'm probably beating a dead horse but I can not adequately express how much I hate having a guy at the very top of the order who 36% of his hits this season have not left the infield and is actually struggling to get bunts down even though once a week Scott Reifert posts a pic of him taking extra bunting practice before a game. When you hit leadoff you're going to get some RBI opportunities and I expect you to come through on occasion, so it would be nice if you were capable getting the ball past the infielders and reaching first that way or perhaps putting it past an outfielder for extra bases like 5 times a month. I never thought I would say that a .216 AVG was empty because, well it is a .216 AVG but when you have 0 XBH, 8 infield singles, 1 bunt single and 7 walks through 128 PA and you have 1 measly hit in 27 PA with RISP (.042/.115/.042/.157) that's a pretty empty .216 and you're just not anywhere near a major league caliber baseball player.

Which is exactly where Damon (despite only one homer, as expected in that stadium) and Pods (2009) would come through, with those big RBI's when they were needed...Pierre just doesn't have the type of bat to hit sac flies, doesn't hit it hard on the ground very often through the middle of the infield, you could see his deperation with that bunt attempt last night to make something happen. And he's slower than Chris Getz now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)

Your probably the only poster on this site that hates Pierre more than I do. I remember we were both against the trade as soon as it happened cause of Juan Pierre. (in fact I never ripped Ranger as much as I did then)

Lineup protection for PK's homers this year:

Kotsay 4

Teahen 3

Rios 2

Pierzynski 2

Quentin 1

A Jones 1

Not quite sure why he gets pitched to, when Rios and Jones are the only competent hitters of the bunch so far this year. The dangerous Kotsay/Teahen combo has batted behind him for over half of his bombs.

Coming into tonight, PK's BABIP? .183. That's f***ing nuts.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 8, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
PK's Projected Line from ESPN:

153 H, 28 2B, 74 HR, 153 RBI, 114 BB, 62 K's, .284 average.

Paulie, make it happen.

A-Gon Stuff:

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/?vid=97e039...00-183c363563b0

Ya, Gonzales doesn't make sense for us right now, financially and with Andruw doing decent in the DH role while being able to play all 3 OF positions.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Ya, Gonzales doesn't make sense for us right now, financially and with Andruw doing decent in the DH role while being able to play all 3 OF positions.

He makes perfect sense considering he makes $5 million a year this year and next and Jones has shown he can still play the OF. What doesn't make sense is SD dealing him since they are playing a lot better than anticipated.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)

Pierre or Quentin would be sent to the bench.

To me, it makes sense.

Man, what a screwed up schedule we have the next couple weeks.

Offday

2 @ Minn

Offday

Stretch of 16 games in a row, starting with:

3 @ KC

2 @ Detroit

2 home vs. LAA

Interleague series home vs. FLA

7 game road trip through Cleveland and Tampa

How often do you see a 5 game home stand?