May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
I just think the radio broadcast as a whole is not very good. The production value of the pre and post-game shows are pretty laughable as well.

First...it's vastly better than it was with Singleton.

Second...it's really not that bad if you listen around MLB. It's not like Vin Scully sitting down and doing a game...but it's not the bottom.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
First...it's vastly better than it was with Singleton.

Second...it's really not that bad if you listen around MLB. It's not like Vin Scully sitting down and doing a game...but it's not the bottom.

I think John Rooney spoiled me...

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
So, Alex Rios last season (when we all hated him) was batting .199. We currently have three starters under that mark, along with 3/4s of our bench. Our other bench member, Nix, is batting .211, a tad bit above this mark. Just thought it was interesting. Ironically, Alex Rios is actually our best hitter (by a lot) right now.

Hyperbolic statements are common on Soxtalk, but this is quite an exaggeration.

So, Alex Rios last season (when we all hated him) was batting .199.

In my case it was because I had high hopes for the team and thought his addition could put us over the top. Rios was so bad that it was easy to hate him. It also was hard waiting for Peavy to get healthy and actually get on the mound.

With the team so boring this year and so many lousy hitters it's hard to build up the hate for any individuals. For some reason, Pierre is so weak at the plate it's more laughable than anger at him. No reason to hate Beckham or AJ. Teahen is more shaking of the head and disgust thanhate.

It was easy to hate Rios because he was supposed to add a lot and did nothing last year as our team faltered.

Good for him that he's doing well. I took a week off the Sox so I haven't studied how he's been doing.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Hyperbolic statements are common on Soxtalk, but this is quite an exaggeration.

I know I have been insisting all along that Rios would be fine. I don't think he will keep this up, but he will be fine out there.

Interesting poll in espn magazine polling MLB players on the manager they would least like to play for. Coming in at second least desirable was Sweet Lou with 29% of the vote. Coming in first with 30%, the Ozzeroo, and the big gripe was something he gets complemented on often. His face time on TV and all the attention he gets.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
Interesting poll in espn magazine polling MLB players on the manager they would least like to play for. Coming in at second least desirable was Sweet Lou with 29% of the vote. Coming in first with 30%, the Ozzeroo, and the big gripe was something he gets complemented on often. His face time on TV and all the attention he gets.

Best part of that poll was 24% of the players said that Chicago had the best groupies in the league. Now thats something to be proud of.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
AJ becomes a 10/5 player on June 14th.

Looks like June 13th is the firesale deadline start.

LOL, who is going to trade for a mediocre defensive catcher that can't hit.

I think it'd be great to have a firesale, but I don't think we have many pieces that other teams would want

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 16, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)
Where's Rongey been? Is he too busy workin or burned out on the cliche fire the manager type comments in the threads and the cliche criticisms of Ozzie for decisions made in games we lose?

Well, between the fact that he's dealing with the same stuff on the radio that is being posted here and the fact that he's legitimately working daily on post-game shows, and doing promotional appearances elsewhere, I think he has other stuff to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
Well, between the fact that he's dealing with the same stuff on the radio that is being posted here and the fact that he's legitimately working daily on post-game shows, and doing promotional appearances elsewhere, I think he has other stuff to do.

Plus he's dating Ginger Zee. Why the hell is he ever on here in the first place?

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 15, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
LOL, who is going to trade for a mediocre defensive catcher that can't hit.

I think it'd be great to have a firesale, but I don't think we have many pieces that other teams would want

AJ has been a pretty good model of consistency. for the past 5 years he's put up line around 280/320/420. Which isn't bad at all for a catcher his age. He's very durable. Good Baseball IQ. Has a reasonable contract (~3.35 Mil if a team were to trade for him midseason) And I get sick of hearing about of his defensive incapability. Throwing out base runners isn't the only facet of defense, AJ is the one of the best, if not the best, at blocking wild pitches. He also works really well with pitchers and confuses batters with his calls.

A team like Tampa Bay comes to mind, as a contender maybe looking for a veteran piece to help them get to the next level of the post season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
This organization has a nice history of gambling on "busted" top prospects. I see no use in changing that willingess to take chances.

You guys do realize catcher is a pretty important position. There is a lot more involved than an .850 OPS. If you can't throw the ball back to the pitcher, you cannot catch. Tyler Flowers, God bless him, but if you call him up and suddenly he's not ready defensively and Peavy and Danks and Buerhle and Floyd and Garcia don't like throwing to him, its over. They will never want to throw to him.

Last year it was get Thome out of here, get Contreras out of here things will be so much better. Funny how they are doing fine but the White Sox are not. It will be exactly the same if and when the Sox dump AJP. He is way more important than his batting average.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Best surprise of the year....Garcia, Jones or Rios?

I say Garcia. He's been an absolute workhorse and exceeded all of my expectations. I expected a bounce back year from Rios.

Rios's last year was the only outlier in his career. Garcia would be my vote as well.

Santos would be another candidate. Sure the has the arsenal. Its been amazing that he has thrown all of his pitches for strikes, and has had the composure that he has had not a year after his conversion.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Rios's last year was the only outlier in his career. Garcia would be my vote as well.

Santos would be another candidate. Sure the has the arsenal. Its been amazing that he has thrown all of his pitches for strikes, and has had the composure that he has had not a year after his conversion.

Forgot about Santos (probably because it feels like he has 3 appearances all year). He'd be a good choice as well.

Edited by BigSqwert